Solved

4G calling on Honor 8X

• 17 January 2019
  • 5 replies

Hi. I have just got a ID sim and yesterday purchased a new sim free Honor 8X - I've also updated the software on the phone to the latest version. I can get wi-fi calling to work, however I can't get 4G calling. The coverage checker confirms I can get 4G voice calling in my area and I full 4G signal strength.

I can't see any option in the settings to turn this on so am I doing something wrong...? If I make a phone call it drops from 4G to 3G whilst on the call and then goes back to 4G when the call is ended, so that confirms it isn't working. Should there be some icon in the notification bar saying 4G calling is on etc?

Thanks.
icon

Best answer by Gregor 17 January 2019, 12:44

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9
Hi @fix777

4G is used mostly for data so you can have fast browsing experience. To make calls over mobile network 2G/3G is completely sufficient and does not require 4G to be available.

You should have a setting on your phone where you can choose how your phone connect to a network. It should look like this on screenshot below, make sure that top option is highlighted.

Regards

Thank you, that's not what I was asking. I do realise you can make calls over 2G/3G. However I am talking about 4G calling which is a service you offer.... https://www.idmobile.co.uk/4g-calling
Userlevel 4
Badge +10
Hi @fix777

This place where you're looking to try making 4g calls from. Do you consistently have a good 4g connection there otherwise?

Could you try making a 4g call outside of any billing in this area to see if things fair better there? We're just trying to ascertain whether perhaps the signal strength to this building is potentially causing some friction here.
I have tried indoor and outdoor around where I live and also the town centre. Whenever I have full 4G signal (4 or 5 bars) and I make a call it drops to 3G. Usually, although not sure about Huawei/Honor phones, there is an icon on the notification bar that shows you are in a 4G Calling area - think it usually shows as VoLTE or 4G Calling.... I had a Samsung before and it would show 'voLTE' as a tiny icon at the top so you knew it was working.

Problem here is I know that this phone is 4G calling compatible with iD (it shows on their list) and i'm in a 4G calling area according to the coverage map, yet it still does not work....? Was the primary reason I chose an iD sim they appear to be the only network that offers 4G calling on this handset (even if not bought from them) and also coverage area compatible.

That said, it should work.... but it doesn't.... Does anyone else know if an icon shows at the top of your phone in the notification bar when 4G calling is available or even do you have the ability to turn it on/off in the phones call settings as I don't have that either, although I do have a toggle for wifi calling which does work.
Hello fix777, are you still using the Honor 8X? it would be interesting to know what Android version you upgraded to, and if that is how you got wifi calling to work? I am thinking of buying an 8X but must have wifi calling enabled. thanks!

Why iD Mobile?