Solved

Dual SIM phones in the UK

• 6 March 2019
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1
How come dual SIM isn't a common option for UK mobile phones? If the Samsung Galaxy S10 was available as dual SIM more readily, I would have bought one by now. And what about eSIMs... Where are they?
icon

Best answer by Gregor 6 March 2019, 18:21

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9
Hi @Marty_P_74

Dual SIM phones are more popular in emerging markets like India, Brasil or Poland. This is where manufacturers put their focus on releasing new dual SIM phones. British market is treated by phone makers like Samsung or Apple as developed one which means they put more focus on releasing flagship devices (best camera, premium design, top specsheet) rather than dual SIM versions. Good news is that likes of Xiaomi, Huawei and Oppo are joining the battle for customer and this may bring in the future more options to choose from and force Samsung and other big player to reconsider their strategy.

Kind Regards
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
@Marty_P_74

Samsung has replaced it's duel sim option with something called "hybrid sim" for the S10 range.
That allows you to use and swich between both duel sim or one sim + micro SD at your convenience.
The micro SD part of the tray is placed horizontally as normal but if you choose to use a second sim it can be placed vertically.

I suspect most carriers are giving the hybrid sim out as standard, i have seen a few places not giving an option to choose between the sim varients at checkout. But after further reading seen the hybrid sim is included.

If you order the S10 from Samsung directly or from carphone warehouse you do get given the hybrid sim. Thats accoring to their live chat operator.

The single sim option is still sold in some places, but i don't think websites are been clear enough as to what your getting.

It would make more sense to scrap the single sim option and just roll out this new hybrid system. If other phone companies could go hybrid too that would help.

@Hikari is right though as the demand for duel sims in the uk hasn't been something most people look for. This is rapidly changing though and expect it to be the norm in the near future.

Hope that helps 🙂

Why iD Mobile?