Solved

Has anyone got Wi-Fi calling working with the Samsung S7 ?

• 5 January 2020
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1

I am trying to activate Wi-Fi calling on my S7. The phone was not purchased via the carrier, however I have taken the steps to flash the phone with the latest stock firmware and it is now using the unbranded CSC code BTU. I thought that would be enough to activate based on some of the comments I’ve read here but it seems not.

If anyone has this working with an S7 or any similar Samsung S8/9/10 etc I would be grateful if you could do two things:

Check current firmware by typing *#1234# into the dallier

Go to the play store and get the app Phone INFO *SAM* - then scroll to the ‘CSC Code’ tab and check the Active CSC code. Mine is currently BTU

Thanks.

icon

Best answer by Ryan 23 January 2020, 16:26

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @Adam_uk,

I’m sorry to see that this feature isn’t working. It sounds as though you have done enough to get it working, in terms of updating the software at least. Have you tested the WiFi Calling feature whilst using multiple WiFi networks?

Hopefully a current user of a Samsung Galaxy S7 will get in touch to share their settings with you. Please get in touch with us though if you require our further assistance.

Ryan

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @Adam_uk,

Where did you purchase your phone from originally?

Ryan

Userlevel 1

Hi @Adam_uk,

Where did you purchase your phone from originally?

Ryan

From eBay, It was SIM locked to Vodafone and had Vodafone firmware. I had it unlocked to use on iD, and have recently flashed stock firmware, which should have removed all the voda firmware.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Does the problem still persist after you’ve flashed the firmware @Adam_uk ?

Have you been able to try any SIM’s from other networks (that aren’t Vodafone) to see if you get Wi-Fi calling working that way?

If not, potentially try and borrow a SIM temporarily from a friend/ family member to test that out.

At least that way you’ll be able to see if the problem is isolated to it only being Vodafone (or a few select networks) your phone can do Wi-Fi calling with.

Userlevel 1

Does the problem still persist after you’ve flashed the firmware @Adam_uk ?

Have you been able to try any SIM’s from other networks (that aren’t Vodafone) to see if you get Wi-Fi calling working that way?

If not, potentially try and borrow a SIM temporarily from a friend/ family member to test that out.

At least that way you’ll be able to see if the problem is isolated to it only being Vodafone (or a few select networks) your phone can do Wi-Fi calling with.

Yes having flashed the stock unbranded BTU firmware the problem still persists. That may be the problem in itself as no one seems to know what Samsung CSC is required for iD Mobile, so maybe I’ve flashed the wrong variant. If it is correct then maybe I made an error with the flashing procedure.

I only have access to Voda SIM and I tried that and it didn’t work (although it did work when the phone was still on the Vodafone firmware). Unfortunately, from what I’ve read, most of the other UK operators require their customised firmware to make wifi calling function, So I’m not really sure what other  other SIMs I could test with.

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Thanks @Adam_uk, this has been escalated via our internal channels and we’ll be back in touch as soon as we hear back from the team.

Ryan

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @Adam_uk,

Thank you for your patience whilst we investigated the WiFi calling issue for you.

Unfortunately we are unable to have the WiFi calling feature working on the device that you have purchased. This is due to the fact that the device has not been purchased from ourselves directly and we can't guarantee that the feature will be compatible with devices purchased elsewhere.

Ryan

Userlevel 1

Hi @Adam_uk,

Thank you for your patience whilst we investigated the WiFi calling issue for you.

Unfortunately we are unable to have the WiFi calling feature working on the device that you have purchased. This is due to the fact that the device has not been purchased from ourselves directly and we can't guarantee that the feature will be compatible with devices purchased elsewhere.

Ryan

Unfortunately, It’s ultimately what seems to be said regarding most of the wifi calling queries on here. I knew I needed to flash a certain CSC and I was hoping your technical department would tell me which...Anyway I went ahead and flashed the H3G CSC, and I now have wifi calling working!!

It does mean I see a Three logo when I power it on, but I was able to remove all the bundled apps, so I’m happy. I’m not convinced a proper iD phone would show the 3 logo, so there’s probably a customised CSC for iD out there somewhere.

Thanks to @JamesB197  for his help over in https://community.idmobile.co.uk/ask-a-question-18/ports-and-protocols-needed-for-wifi-calling-31811 - That was really helpful.

Why iD Mobile?