Question

No mobile service on new LG V30 mobile with existing SIM card/account

I’ve just bought a new unlocked LG V30 mobile (Android 8) for my daughter’s birthday and it refuses to connect to the ID mobile network.

In a way more frustratingly, it has somehow allowed one call and one text at different times when repeatedly testing. Although reception is low/tricky where we live, I have an LG V30+ and my son uses my old LG V30, both of which generally connect fine to ID.

I’ve double checked the APN settings (both auto picked up when inserted SIM and manually configured), along with countless other options, all to no avail. The phone was originally from AT&T (H931) but has now been converted to US998).

May also be worth noting that even when the signal icon in the notification area looks strong, it still doesn’t pick up ID, e.g. in the network settings area (find networks etc) which typically shows 3, vodafone etc (occasionally shows ID here but when selected fails to register). Auto select/registration also fails to work.

End of the day, I just get either no network or emergency calls only.

Anyone here any suggestions - or should I just just admit failure and assume the phone is faulty somehow? (Can’t help but think/hope that I’m missing something simple/obvious that would save the hassle and time of returning it for an exchange.)

For example, is there any chance it needs ‘unlocking’ or allowing somehow from ID’s side (i.e. as an existing SIM on a new mobile)?

Thanks.

11 replies

I am also having this issue, except my phone is not new. My phone tells me my APN is not entered correctly, but I am using the default APN that i cannot delete or edit. Can’t make calls or texts, im guessing something is happening on the iD side maybe? Or maybe our phones are faulty…

I am also having this issue, except my phone is not new. My phone tells me my APN is not entered correctly, but I am using the default APN that i cannot delete or edit. Can’t make calls or texts, im guessing something is happening on the iD side maybe? Or maybe our phones are faulty…

Nice to know we’re not alone - but when our other LG phone on ID is working fine in the same location...

Nice to know we’re not alone - but when our other LG phone on ID is working fine in the same location...

Sounds quite like my situation, samsung phone other android phones in the house working phone with iD. Not been able to find a solution yet.

Sounds quite like my situation, samsung phone other android phones in the house working phone with iD. Not been able to find a solution yet.

Like Obi-Wan, this forum is now my only hope ;)

I think I may have an reason as to why this is happening, read it on a few other forums. I’m pretty sure my phone was bought from 02 (hand down), as yours is bought from AT&T they may be locked to the old network? If it was locked we won’t be able to use iD, but it doesnt explain why I can make calls through wifi. 

Can you use wifi calling?

I think I may have an reason as to why this is happening, read it on a few other forums. I’m pretty sure my phone was bought from 02 (hand down), as yours is bought from AT&T they may be locked to the old network? If it was locked we won’t be able to use iD, but it doesnt explain why I can make calls through wifi. 

Don’t think I could do Wi-Fi calling. Either way, in my case, in theory it is already unlocked - and sure when I have had locked phones in the past, it’s pretty obvious (and certainly not in this case).

Don’t think I could do Wi-Fi calling. Either way, in my case, in theory it is already unlocked - and sure when I have had locked phones in the past, it’s pretty obvious (and certainly not in this case).

Yeah its probably a fault on iD’s end sadly...

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @Blinkertoon,

The LG V30 is on our list of compatible phones https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/approved-handsets

The issue could be due to one  of 2 reasons.

The phones firmware (due to it originally being from AT&T, outside of the UK I’m guessing?) preventing compatibility

The SIM is faulty.

Can you just test the iD SIM that you’re using in the V30, in other phones and confirm if iD is picked up fine? If so, the issue is a handset compatiblity problem due to firmware.

If this doesn’t work, then try the iD SIM in other devices also. If it still doesn’t work, then the issue is due to the SIM being faulty and we can get a replacement SIM sent out.

Mohammed

Hello @Blinkertoon,

The LG V30 is on our list of compatible phones https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/approved-handsets

The phones firmware (due to it originally being from AT&T, outside of the UK I’m guessing?) preventing compatibility

The SIM is faulty.

Can you just test the iD SIM that you’re using in the V30, in other phones and confirm if iD is picked up fine? If so, the issue is a handset compatiblity problem due to firmware.

If this doesn’t work, then try the iD SIM in other devices also. If it still doesn’t work, then the issue is due to the SIM being faulty and we can get a replacement SIM sent out.

Mohammed

Could this also be my issue, i bought an s7 edge from o2 and am unable to make calls n texts through sms. If so how would i fix the firmware issue?

***UPDATE***
Seems to be working now, very strange…

Hello @Blinkertoon,

The SIM is faulty.

Mohammed

The SIM works on other phones, but I've also converted/updated the firmware from the original at&t variant to a more standard/open network one (albeit still American). Maybe for some reason iD still doesn't like this either :(

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @Blinkertoon 

If you are updating firmware/converting, try a UK version if there is one available.

iD uses the Three UK network for coverage, so anything with that should also help it’s compatibility.

Hello @Blinkertoon,

The SIM is faulty.

Mohammed

Could this also be my issue, i bought an s7 edge from o2 and am unable to make calls n texts through sms. If so how would i fix the firmware issue?

***UPDATE***
Seems to be working now, very strange…

Glad to hear yours has started working mysteriously!

Mohammed

Why iD Mobile?