Question

No sound outsdie of default android apps.

I have been able to hear all media fine until earlier today when I first turned my phone on today. All of a sudden I couldn't play music out loud, although if I plug in earphones I can  hear the music. The same stands on youtube. I later couldn't hear my friend on skype although they could hear me. Despite this, I can clearly hear audio out loud, with and without earphones, on the default android voice recorder app. I have looked through endless settings on my phone, Google and the apps and have found no solution. I would ultimately like to be able to play my music out loud, without using earphones. Any help would be great. Thanks. 

12 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @emg14,

This is certainly a strange issue! If you have been through all the settings (and rebooted your phone) then I suppose you have ensured that your phone is not on a “Do Not Disturb” setting either? If not, I can only imagine that resetting your phone could help here.

Please back up any data that you have saved and perform a factory reset. Once done, test the sound and let me know how it goes!

Ryan

Hi :)

Thankyou for replying. Does rebooting my phone mean I'll lose things like photos, recordings on default voice recorder app etc. Also how do I go about rebooting my phone? Seems like a silly question, I know. No my phone isn't on don't disturb. Sounds like something to try. I have also found I can still play music out of a bluetooth speaker on spotify etc, dont know if that helps any. 

Thanks 

E :)

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @emg14,

Thanks for getting back to us also. Rebooting (turning your phone off and back on) won’t cause loss of any personal data, however factory resetting the phone will remove all data and files stored on the phone. It’s always worth doing this if all else has been tried as it can kick the phone back into action. You should back up all data before doing this however.

Regards!
Ryan

Glad to know what a reboot is! Thankyou :") Yes I've tried that, thankyou. Might take a while, I have a lot of data! Will do. Thankyou again 

E:)

Badge +10

@emg14 if turning the phone on and off hasn’t fixed the issue please do not reset or factory restore...

Recently found out that bluetooth is a major cause of most sound issues.

Turn bluetooth off and or discount your bluetooth devices - this can fix all known sound issues!

Long term I am likely to factory reset, but short term, how do I discount bluetooth devices? What does this mean? I have turned off bluetooth and have seen no difference so far.

Thanks

Badge +10

@emg14 If you have turned off bluetooth that should be fine for now, it should stop all sound going to the bluetooth device/speaker.

Please now try turning up the volume button on the side of the mobile and see if that makes any difference. Have a look in settings for sound and then media, make sure that is turned up also.

Make sure there is nothing plugged into the headphone socket as sound is directed to these by default disabling the phone internal speaker.

What make and model of mobile do you have?

Badge +10

@emg14 

Swipe down from the top of your screen to open the notifications, and make sure the Do Not Disturb icon is NOT enabled.

You can also arrive here by tapping on the Settings gear icon in the notification drawer, then tapping on Sound > Do Not Disturb.

Do not disturb not on. Thanks for the help anyway

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

That’s a very odd one indeed @emg14,

Which device is it that you’re using?

A dumb suggestion, but try turning the sound/volume down to the lowest then back up again.

If you load Youtube Web on a Chrome/Internet browser on the phone does sound work this way? 

Trying to find out if it’s just the YouTube app affected mainly?

Mohammed

Thanks for responding.

Samsung galaxy J6.

Tried that, thankyou. YouTube doesnt work but neither does anything ranging from Netflix to skype without earphones or a speaker. Phone calls still work as does voice recorder and the mic seems fine, on things such as Skype everyone else can hear me with or without earphones. Definitely more than youtube, but thanks anyway.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @emg14,

Sorry for the delayed reply here.

Unless we’re all overlooking something really obvious, it looks like it’s a software issue here.

One last test/clarification if it’s already done, but when on calls, if you put thie on loudspeaker, can you hear audio?

If you can, then it’s a software issue that should hopefully be fixed via a factory reset.

If you can’t hear on loudspeaker on the phone, then it’s a hardware issue.

Phone calls come through a second internal speakaer which can give you the illusion that the speaker is working okay.

Loudspeaker routes audio through the speakers (usually at the bottom of the phone).

Let us know how you get on.

Mohammed

Why iD Mobile?