Solved

Nokia 5.1 not reading SIM cards

• 27 October 2020
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 1

So my Nokia 5.1 stopped reading the SIM card. For some months it had already only read the SD card intermittently, but then the SIM card stopped working, too.

I tried restarting and resetting network settings; no luck. I bought a new SIM tray from a reputable shop, put it in, and tried putting in the SIM; no luck. I tried experimentally putting my mother’s SIM card in, to see if the issue was my SIM card itself; no luck, it wouldn’t read that there was a SIM card inserted at all, and I tried it with both the old and new SIM trays.

I’m wondering if it’s something in the phone’s hardware itself, rather than the tray. All I know is that it’s unuseable for things like texts and PayPal, signing in for anything with two-factor authentication, etc., because they also all rely on texts. Help?

Any suggestions?

icon

Best answer by Rory 31 October 2020, 14:54

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

11 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @r197,

It does sound like the hardware within the device is potentially faulty given the information. As you mentioned texts not working, is this issue also affecting calls/data too?

Ryan

Userlevel 1

It is, unfortunately. It doesn’t show as having any network available at all.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi @r197, given the troubleshooting steps you’ve already taken, I’m fairly confident in saying this is a hardware issue. I’d recommend contacting the retailer you purchased the phone from.

Thank you,

Rory

Userlevel 1

Ah, right, thank you. The thing is, I bought it from the iD site. Who should I contact, in that case? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

@r197 Oh, I see! Our repairs are handled through Carphone Warehouse, so your best bet would be to pop into your local branch. All the standalone stores closed earlier this year, but there should still be a branch inside your nearest Currys PC World store - you can use the Store Finder here. Naturally, with the upcoming lockdown, they’ll be closing their doors from Thursday, so I’m not sure how this will affect things. Best bet would be to pop in before Thursday to discuss.

Thank you,

Rory

Userlevel 1

Thank you very much for the help! Will do.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

You’re most welcome, @r197. Let us know how you get on!

Thank you,

Rory

Userlevel 1

Actually, is there any possibility of just getting an upgrade? My contract finishes in March anyhow, so it might be worth swapping the device, if it’s possible.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi @r197, we don’t offer early upgrades, unfortunately. The alternative options would be to purchase a SIM-free phone from elsewhere and simply pop your current SIM in

Or you could pay an early termination fee for the Nokia contract and take out an entirely new line with a new number. There are ways to transfer your current number across to this new line, but it’s a bit trickier than if you were to just upgrade in March.

I appreciate neither option is ideal. Let me know if you have any questions at all.

Thank you,

Rory

Userlevel 1

OK, thank you. I suspected that might be the answer, but it seemed worth asking. I’ll talk to Carphone Warehouse asap.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

If you need us again after speaking to them, just get in touch here.

Why iD Mobile?