Solved

Switching between wifi and mobile data network

• 16 January 2020
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1

My internet data access works fine if I am connected to a wifi router, or if I am outside the range of wifi it uses the mobile data network.  However, if I am with the range of wifi but not logged on to it (for instance a wifi service I’m not registered with), it will not connect.  The only way I’ve found to make it work, is to go in to settings and manually switch off wifi.  Then, for example I can send or receive Whatsapps and receive email via the mobile network.

Why doesn’t it just register the fact that I’m not logged on to wifi and automatically use the mobile data network?

icon

Best answer by Ryan 17 January 2020, 11:20

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @TrDave13,

Which phone are you using? Sometimes, if you leave WiFi turned on when you leave the house and there is a public/free connection nearby to your new location, the phone will connect to it but not allow data access (until you follow the provider's login process). Due to the phone thinking that it’s now connected to a WiFi connection, the mobile data will not take over. Does this happen in town or near to a public WiFi network?

Ryan

Userlevel 1

Hi Ryan,

My phone is a Huawei P8Lite running Android v8.0.0.  You make a good point that it may be connected to wifi but not logged in through the providers login.  Last time it happened was in a local pub, and it had asked me to log in.  I ignored it and sent a WhatsApp which didn’t go through, so I disabled wifi and it immediately pinged as sent.  Thanks for your suggestion.  Next time I’m in that situation I’ll check first if it is connected to the unwanted wifi server.  It looks like another excuse to go back to that pub!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi Ryan,

My phone is a Huawei P8Lite running Android v8.0.0.  You make a good point that it may be connected to wifi but not logged in through the providers login.  Last time it happened was in a local pub, and it had asked me to log in.  I ignored it and sent a WhatsApp which didn’t go through, so I disabled wifi and it immediately pinged as sent.  Thanks for your suggestion.  Next time I’m in that situation I’ll check first if it is connected to the unwanted wifi server.  It looks like another excuse to go back to that pub!

Thanks for clarifying that.

It does sound more like this is due to the Public WiFi log-in being required.

When you pop down to the pub again, check it out and let us know :) (the WiFi that is, not the pub :grin: )

Mohammed

Why iD Mobile?