Solved

When will RCS be supported?

• 9 July 2019
  • 9 replies

I know a post about this already exsists, but there have been developments.
Three Uk, the network ID Mobile operates through, have recently enabled RCS for their devices.
When will it be enabled on ID devices, as mine currently is not working with RCS.

The Three UK article can be found here
icon

Best answer by Gregor 10 July 2019, 00:19

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 1
Hi @Hikari

In the Chat Features settings did it ever get to saying "Connected"? RCS will automatically fall back to SMS if it can't connect via RCS (either because the sender can't connect to RCS or because the recipient can't) -- it's a lot like Apple iMessage in that respect.

I will suggest to my parents to try that though...

Thanks!
Userlevel 8
Badge +9
Hey @hewbass

I have run some test on new RCS feature using Google Messages app. So when you phone number has been ported and port is completed what you can do is.

# turn off rcs feature
# turn it back on
# tap on "retry" button as soon as it appears
# manually type your ported phone number

My number has been ported from giffgaff to iD and when I followed steps above and tested it by sending text to my gf who has RCS toggled on as well, my correct number displayed on her phone.

Worth the try, hopefully it will help.
Userlevel 1
Hello @Hikari

These are my parent's devices and I will not be with them for a couple of weeks, so I will probably leave them without RCS in preference to risk to their devices, but this is useful information I will try once we are together in the same place.

Thanks!
Userlevel 8
Badge +9
Hey @hewbass

I have an idea to try but it will require accessing hidden menu. As a disclaimer I have tried it on my phone just to see if this will break my phone and it didn't but since I don't use RCS I don't know if it will fix the issue either but if you are willing to try I don't take responsibility for anything that may go wrong, either does iD Mobile. You can try these steps at your own risk.

Sorry for these corporate words, I just want to cover all bases in case something goes wrong when you decide to try it.

When you type *#*#46368676#*#* in your dialler. You should see hidden menu like on the screenshot below.

When you the you can try toggling "Mobile radio power" off and on. When you scroll to the bottom of that page you will see another buttons.

Maybe tapping at "trigger operator provisioning" will get it fixed.

As I mentioned before since I don't use RCS, nothing happened to my phone but hopefully it will help your issues.

Let us know if you decided to try it and what was the outcome? This solution in untested with RCS, I just came up with it while thinking how I could help you.

Kind Regards
Userlevel 1
Hello @Kash

Thanks for your response. They are both using Samsung A40 hand sets, with Google Messages (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.messaging) installed in order to try and use the Google deployed RCS/Chat service (https://9to5google.com/2019/07/27/google-messages-rcs-uk-france/). They have recently moved from Vodafone, where they had been using the Vodafone provided RCS service and would like to continue to use RCS.

The issue seems to be a bug in Google Messages, preventing it from being able to verify the devices own telephone number in the scenario where the SIM had a temporary number assigned before using a PAC to port another telephone number. I have been told that if the network provisions a network refresh this will resolve the issue.

Normally this would be something that we should expect Google to fix (but they seem to be a oblivious to this particular bug) but I expect the above scenario will affect other iDMobile customers who may be interested in using RCS.

Many thanks for your attention, and I hope you can resolve.

hewbass
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Hi @hewbass,

We can certainly check this out and advise you in more detail.

Please could you confirm the make and models of the handsets that your parents are using?

Once we have this informtation we can look further into it.

Kash
Userlevel 1
Update

https://www.phonearena.com/news/Googles-RCS-Chat-rolled-out-in-UK-and-France_id117775

Rollout of RCS messaging has been completed in UK and anyone with supported handset can use it. It is not carrier specific as Google will handle all themselves. Only drawback at this moment is lack of end to end encryption.

In theory this should work on any handset in the UK, but I have observed that handsets that have had a temporary number before main telephone number was ported cannot finish set up to connect to Google servers, as the although the ported number works perfectly for the iDmobile network, the telephone itself does not know the correct number it has (and any information entered by the user is ignored).

It seems that this can be fixed with a "Network Refresh" which will update the information the telephone holds about it's own telephone number.

Can anyone confirm if they have successfully been able to request such a network refresh from iDmobile?

I have heard of people successfully managing this on the Three network, and then getting RCS to work.

(Both my parents have moved to iDmobile, and are now without RCS having previously had it via Vodafone)
Userlevel 8
Badge +9
Update

https://www.phonearena.com/news/Googles-RCS-Chat-rolled-out-in-UK-and-France_id117775

Rollout of RCS messaging has been completed in UK and anyone with supported handset can use it. It is not carrier specific as Google will handle all themselves. Only drawback at this moment is lack of end to end encryption.
Userlevel 8
Badge +9
Hi @DanPerks

https://m.gsmarena.com/google_will_offer_optin_rcs_regardless_of_carrier_available_in_uk_coming_to_france-news-37623.php

Here is the link regarding RCS. This in not going to be carrier specific as Google will handle all background staff for it. Only requirement is to have a mobile phone that will support this feature and main drawback will be lack of end to end encryption like Whatsapp is offering.

You can already opt-in for this as long as your phone is supported. To confirm, I have checked it on two different phones, both with iD sim inside. Blackberry Key2 LE and Nokia 8.1, first is not supported so I could not turn it on, second is supported so I was able to turn this option on.

Kind Regards.

Why iD Mobile?