Solved

Wifi Calling for Samsung S7

Can anyone help set up my phone for WiFi calling.
Phone Galaxy S7 Model No. SM-G930T Android version 7.0
Was told phone is compatible with WiFi calling but it is not functioning. Have gone to Settings>Connections>More Connection settings> but option for WiFi calling is not present.
icon

Best answer by Kash 26 March 2019, 14:51

View original

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Hi @lumberjack,

We can certainly provide the steps to try and get this sorted you.

Firstly could you please ensure that your handset has the latest software installed so that it is up to date. You may need to set up WiFi calling on your handset and you can do this by following the below steps.

-Firstly Connect to a WiFi network.
-From the home screen, tap Phone and Menu
-Tap settings
-scroll down to the Wi-Fi calling and ensure that it is on.

Let us know how you get on with this.

Kash
Hi Kash
Thanks for reply.
Have gone to Software update and checked but get message “The device is up to date.”
I then followed your instructions but on scrolling down there was no option for Wi-Fi calling.
The option seems to be missing from all the expected menus.

Regards
Lumberjack
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Hi @lumberjack,

Thanks for trying those options.

Could you confirm where the handset was purchased from? If the handset wasn't purchased from us we can't confirm if WiFi calling will work as the Firmware may not be installed.

Kash
Thanks for help. The phone was bought from a third party, not ID, as new ex. display stock. Can you suggest how I can get a Firmware update?

Regards
Richard
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Hi @lumberjack,

Unfortunately when the handset is purchased from somewhere other than iD Mobile we can't guarantee that Wifi calling would work. It is likely that the handset has a different Firmware installed which can't be added to the handset after purchase.

As the handset doesn't have the firmware Wifi Calling wouldn't work on the handset.

We are sorry about this.

Kash
Userlevel 1
Hello All,
After much searching and trial and error here is how i got Wifi Calling to work on my S7, SM-G930F

Checked software up to date.

Home screen, swipe down from top, and again to get half screen of settings icons.
Swipe left to bring up more icons and there it was, 'Wifi Calling'.
Tap to activate.

Exit settings

Reboot (this was the key to making it happen for me)

Thanks to all those who left the snippets of info that helped me get there.
Userlevel 1

Hello,

Well done! I have the same phone and updated with the last version, but I can’t see the option available. Is it still working for you? Could you confirm your firmware version by dialing * # 1234 # call ? Could you confirm your “Mobile Network” Configuration? “More Connection Settings”?

Thank you in advance.

Same problem as above. I checked software update, all ok. followed  Kash’s suggestions, scrolled down to the WiFi Calling and switched on . Then what? It seems to need something more before it starts working.

Thaddeus

Apparently it all has to do with the CSC file (the firmware as was mentioned above) but there are loads of different ones, and most of them won’t make the wifi calling available on the ID Mobile network, so it is a bit of a trial and error. I am still trying to find a way how to update this on my phone.

I had asked a question about my WiFi Calling problem to which Kash answered very kindly, thank you Kash. Unfortunately somehow I lost Kash’s answer.  Trying to investigate I realised that I could not see the WiFi Calling icon in my Apps. It used to be there. When I searched it told me it is installed and yet I cannot find it. Any suggestions anyone? I was thinking of uninstalling it and reinstalling again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @Thaddeus, the only question we’ve got on your own topic is here: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/coverage-24/wifi-calling-32317

Then your posts in this topic.

Kash’s answer to this topic is below:

Hi @lumberjack,

We can certainly provide the steps to try and get this sorted you.

Firstly could you please ensure that your handset has the latest software installed so that it is up to date. You may need to set up WiFi calling on your handset and you can do this by following the below steps.

-Firstly Connect to a WiFi network.
-From the home screen, tap Phone and Menu
-Tap settings
-scroll down to the Wi-Fi calling and ensure that it is on.

Let us know how you get on with this.

Kash

Mohammed

Thank you Mohammed,

I followed your instructions and found out that I had them on my setup already.

I started playing about and then turned off the WiFi calling and also restarted the phone and when I switched it on again, Hey presto, the WiFi calling icon was there.

So my problem is solved and thanks again for your help

Thaddeus

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @Thaddeus,

That’s great to hear, and we’re glad you shared your results with us here. I’m sure other in the future will be able to use your example to fix their own issues.

Take care,

Will

Hello!

Tried Kash' steps but  no joy!

@Thaddeus what steps did you do exactly! Am at my wits end now!🤯

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi there @C T 

Was the phone previously bought with another network on a contract?

If so, there’s a chance the firmware on the device is flashed in a certain way that the WiFi calling feature will only be available to use when used with a SIM from that particular network.

Hi CT

I just turned off the WiFi calling on my phone. Then I switched off the phone altogether. I then turned on the phone and reinstated the WiFi calling.

It worked.

Hope it works for you. Good luck

Thad.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Great to hear that @Thaddeus, and thanks for updating.  That may potentially help others.

Get in touch again here should you need us again and have a great weekend!

Why iD Mobile?