Solved

Wifi calling on Samsung Galaxy S9 (Third party)

• 15 June 2019
  • 7 replies

Hi,
I've just joined iD because my previous provider (Plusnet) didn't support wifi calling. I have a Samsung Galaxy S9, bought second hand through eBay. (The S9 is supported according to this page: https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/wifi-calling).

I can make phonecalls using my iD SIM at the front of my house (the 3 network signal justabout reaches there), but 12 feet back, I can't make calls: it sits on the dialling screen for a bit then says 'mobile network not available'.

A few details:
1) I stood where there was a strong WiFi signal.
2) I checked for software updates and My phone says "Your software is up to date." (Android version 9, Kernal version dated May 8th 2019
3) There's no mention of it wifi calling in the phone settings under "Connections" but I searched "wifi calling" and it's listed under Apps->App info.
4) App settings for Wi-Fi Calling are as follows:
  • notifications Allowed
  • Permissions "Telephone" is on.
  • Change system settings is on.
  • Version is 6.3.00.51
Any ideas? If I can't get this working, I'm going back to Plusnet as their non-wifi signal is better at my house. (Not perfect, hence wanting wifi calling, but it's better than the 3 network.)
Thanks,
Wlats
icon

Best answer by Mohammed 8 July 2019, 13:38

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6
Hi Wlats,
It's possible that if your phone was originally sold by a network provider, it may have slightly different software that is preventing you from using WiFi calling on our network.

You can try connecting to a different WiFi network but if the options are not provided to you it's unlikely to ever work unfortunately.

Phil
Thanks Phil. Actually, I've since found that there's a big blue "on/off" "Wi-Fi Calling" button in the main settings that comes up from the top of the phone. (The same place as the WiFi, Bluetooth big blue buttons.)

It's switched on. However, I still can't make wifi calls at the moment. Is there any hope I might get wifi calling working (and stick with iD) or am I doomed to go back to Plusnet?

Wlats
Userlevel 2
Badge +6
Hi Wlats,

It's good progress if WiFi calling can be turned on but there's nothing else that needs to be configured on your phone.
When connected to WiFi with poor/ no mobile signal, are you simply unable to make calls?

There would normally be an icon at the top of the screen to indicate WiFi calling was active/ ready.

Phil
Thanks for your help so far, Phil, much appreciated.

I am simply unable to make calls. It sits on the dialling screen for a while, then says 'mobile network not available' and gives up.

I do have a big blue "on/off" "Wi-Fi Calling" button in the main settings. (Swiping down from the top of the screen reveals the blue wifi, volume, bluetooth, rotate-screen, airplane-mode and torch icons; the Wi-Fi Calling button is there if I expand this part of the screen.)

I don't have a tiny white Wi-Fi Calling icon at the top of the home screen. (I mean the notification area, where the wifi, mobile network strength and battery charge icons are.) Nor do I see any notification texts about this. Should I have either or both of these?

I think the phone was originally bought from Vodafone, although it is network unlocked and my iD sim works fine in areas where I do have signal. I just checked and Vodafone do offer wifi calling to their customers, so there ought not to be any restriction to my settings from their firmware, surely?

There isn't anything iD need to configure or send to my phone is there?

Wlats
Userlevel 2
Badge +6
Hi Wlats, you're looking in the right place for the notification but it's not good that it's not showing.

Whilst Vodafone also offer WiFi calling, it's possible that tweaks on the phones sold by Vodafone could be preventing WiFi calling from working as expected with us.

No further configuration is possible, simply once connected to WiFi, compatible phones will show WiFi calling is connected if it's enabled.

Have you had the chance to connect to any other (non public) WiFi networks to test this.

Phil
Hi Phil,
I have now connected to a number of other networks, but as far as I can tell, Wifi calling still doesn't work. I had no idea that Wifi calling would be so troublesome to get working, but it looks like I'll be leaving iD: the 3 Network signal (that iD use) is even worse in my house than the EE signal (that Plusnet use) so Wifi calling was the only reason I'd considered switching to iD.

Any last things I could try before I give up and cancel my monthly payments?

Walter
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Hello @Wlats, there's not much more than we can suggest trying here as it looks like @Phil has tried troubleshooting as best as possible.

If you're thinking of cancelling, check out our Returns & Cancellations page here on how to cancel your services:
https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/returns-cancellations

Sorry that we were not able to resolve this for you.

We'll mark this topic as solved with the answer being that we were unable to provide WiFi Calling due to incompatible software due to the device not being purchased directly from iD Mobile.

Mohammed

Why iD Mobile?