Solved

wifi calling on unlocked galaxy note 9

• 17 December 2018
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
Wifi calling is essential where I live as the cellnet coverage is patchy. I have the latest phone software, and a galaxy note 9. It's unlocked (does that make a difference?). Where is the wifi option - I've looked in Call Settings and it's missing. I compare this to my old handset - a galaxy 7 which does have it (Phone>Setting>Wi-Fi Calling). Frustrating to have a newer phone and fewer options. Can anyone help?
icon

Best answer by Kevin 18 December 2018, 14:25

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9
Hi @Krankenstein

Unfortunatelly, as to my knowledge if you are using unlocked version or dual SIM version of Note 9 then WiFi Calling option has been disabled by Samsung and there is no way to enable it.
Userlevel 1
Thanks @Hikari - the internet says that the software to enable wifi calling is provided by the carrier via firmware, which would be iD in this case, not Samsung. @iD Mobile - is there any way to fix this for us unlocked people?
Userlevel 8
Badge +9
I am like 90% sure that phone has to be purchased through ID or Carphone for WiFi calling to be enabled but let's wait what ID heroes say, they might have solution for it.
Userlevel 4
Badge +10
Hey there @Krankenstein.

@Hikari is on the right tracks in that if you had purchased a Samsung S9 through ourselves or Carphone Warehouse then the Wi-Fi calling option would be there as the Samsung Galaxy S9 is one of the supported phones on our Wi-Fi calling supported handsets list.

I noticed above you used the word "unlocked" above, which I'm assuming means you perhaps once purchased the phone through a network originally? and then had the phone unlocked later? If that is the case, then it could be the case that the phone is pre-loaded with firmware from another provider which makes it so that certain features are only accessible to that particular network.

Where was it you got the Galaxy S9 from/ with originally?

and where was it the Galaxy S7 came from?
Userlevel 1
Hi @Kevin, I should have asked the carphone warehouse guys explicitly about wifi calling... I got the note 9 from music magpie as an unlocked refurb. The previous handset, galaxy S7, was a phone+contract with carphone warehouse - although even that took numerous calls with cust.serv. and 12 months to get wifi calling working. Looks like I'm going to have to change the handset and get a new one. It's annoying, as if the cellnet network was good enough, I wouldn't be contemplating wifi calling in the first place.
I am having the same issue with getting Wi-Fi calling on my LG G6.
I am receiving conflicting advice.
The phone was supplied by Carphine Warehouse who do not kick phones to any network.
ID supoort agent stated my phone should have Wi-Fi calling option but it's not appearing anywhere in the phone menu.
Phone was on O2 who also support Wi-Fi calling.
What is going wrong?
Can I get Wi-Fi calling on my LG G6 or not?
Please can a hero provide some definitive answer?
Thank you

Why iD Mobile?