News

Customer notice: Suspected fraudulent texts

Customer notice: Suspected fraudulent texts
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
  • iD Mobile Employee
  • 118 replies

We’ve been made aware that some customers have received various text messages from multiple numbers, falsely impersonating and claiming to be iD Mobile.

Several texts have been sent out to customers and you can see the versions we are aware about below:

Text 1:

“iD Mobile: We have been unable to confirm your details for this month's payment. To avoid suspension of your line, please confirm your up to date details via the following link: <<link>>”

Text 2:

“iD Mobile: Your latest payment has been unsuccessful. Please update your details here:  https://bit.ly/3tNuzLK”

Text 3:

•    iD: Your monthly payment failed, in order to continue using our services please verify your details here: <<link>>

Please note these messages are not from iD Mobile. If you receive a message such as the above, do not click the link and enter your details, as these will not be safe.

For more information on how to spot fraudulent activity such as phishing, smishing and impersonations, please view the articles below:

In addition, if you have knowingly received fraudulent text messages claiming to iD Mobile, please comment the exact phrasing below, so we can investigate the genuineness of the message and then add it to the list above, if need be. 

Please stay vigilant. 

32 replies

Userlevel 1

I have recently received a similar text claiming to be id saying they have been unable to confirm my billing details for this months bill and claim my line would be cut. Luckily my bill came out the other day so I knew this wasn't right. I even double checked on the id mobile app

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

@Titch564 Thank you for letting us know, every example will help the Community to know what to look out for and not fall victim to scams. 

Thanks again, 

Emil

Userlevel 1

I wish I’d seen this earlier, or been wise enough to check! I just fell for this scam or a very similar one so have spent the last hour trying to sort things out with my bank. Be careful everyone! Now I need to get hold of iD too.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi @babswats38 

We are sorry to hear this. Did you manage to report this to your bank?

-Mohsin

Userlevel 1

I have had the following text received Sunday 11 April 2021.

iD: We require you to update your information to avoid service termination. Please visit here: https://bit.ly/3s2ThXa

Again no notifications in the ID app, can I assume this is also possible phishing?

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

@AdamLimb I can confirm this is not from iD Mobile. We also, almost never send short URLs such as the ‘bit’ URL you have shared.

Emil

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

This article has been updated on 16/06/21 as we have been made aware of a new fraudulent text message. This message has been added to the list in the article above. Please do not click the link and block the number if you have received it.

Userlevel 1

I received this text today and suspected straight away that it was a scam 

Userlevel 1

I have just received this text message. I never respond to these test via the link shared especially shortened links and would much rather ring them directly. Thankfully I found this first. 

Just out of general curiosity, how are people finding out what mobile provider im using? Or are these just sent to a bunch of random people in hope of hitting the jackpot so to speak. 

Thanks for the warning

Userlevel 1

I also received the exact same text as Megan and almost fell for it because I had just got a new card as my old one has expired. I clicked the link but couldn’t remember which email address I used so logged into the app instead and couldn’t see any details of a failed direct debit and then realised direct debit wouldn’t be affected by a new bank card. 
I would also like to know how they know I’m with iD, I think it would be a good idea for iD to send a text or email to everyone making them aware of this scam. 

Userlevel 1

I have just received this text message. I never respond to these test via the link shared especially shortened links and would much rather ring them directly. Thankfully I found this first. 

Just out of general curiosity, how are people finding out what mobile provider im using? Or are these just sent to a bunch of random people in hope of hitting the jackpot so to speak. 

Thanks for the warning

While it is possible that the spammers have managed to identify a set of numbers linked to iD, it is usually random. I got a similar text a few months ago telling me I hadn’t paid my 3 mobile bill on this iD phone.

On the main subject, today I also received the text, “iD: Your monthly payment failed, in order to continue using our services please verify your details here: xxxxxx”

Userlevel 1

Hi I have just received the same text...iD: Your monthly payment failed, in order to continue using our services please verify your details here https://bit.ly/36BATMM

I thought it looked dodgy and checked on here to find others with the same one. 

Thanks

Userlevel 1

Just received text.…

iD: Your monthly payment failed, in order to continue using our services please verify your details here: https://bit.ly/36BATMM

Userlevel 1

I just received this text message aswell sent by this mobile number 07485616086

ID: Your monthly payment failed, in order to continue using our services please verify your details here: https://bit.ly/36BATMM

Would like to know how people find your number it's really scary and so glad I didn't click on the link 

Userlevel 1

Hi, my partner and I are both with iD, she's working so can't post on here but she has also just received the scam message above. 

I'll copy in the screenshot she sent me. 

Userlevel 1

Got a scam text through and clicked the link but never put bank details in

will any of this effect my phone ??

Userlevel 1

I had a text from this number last night. I was stupid enough to click the link. It takes you to a VERY realistic version of the ID mobile website and requires you to fill in a personal verification form. It wasn’t until I got to the section where they wanted my bank details and bank card details that I twigged. I don’t believe I actually sent any info, but it looks like a fairly sophisticated fraud.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

This article has been updated with new information, in regards to a new text message we have become aware of, see ‘Text 3’ on 15/07/21.

Userlevel 1

i got this text as well last night, i too got to the bank details section before realized it was a scam and stopped and also changed my i.d mobile password just in case.i only checked it out cause i have a problem with my i.d billing at the moment.my direct debit been set up for years, this month money has been taken from my bank account and appears on my payment history but my dashboard billing says it not been paid(minus payment), so i was(still) in a bit of a flutter last night.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

@Lewis thompson It seems as if it was a ploy to gain access to your bank info, so no, clicking the link alone shouldn’t of put you at risk. 

Userlevel 1

I’m a little surprised that I haven’t had an email  from id regarding these fraudulent text messages, as it seems to have known about for some time. It would have been helpful. Maybe an idea for the future?

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

@Lasithi Lad This is a great idea and we have already been working on this, the emails will be deployed very soon. 

thanks, 

Emil

Thanks for the warning

Plus how did they know when idmobile takes the money from the bank.

Userlevel 1

Plus how did they know when idmobile takes the money from the bank.

I doubt they do. My monthly fee had gone out 10 days before the scam text arrived. If they send out enough texts, I guess the law of averages says they’ll get lucky x number of times.

I take your point, but how does someone get my mobile number, know that idmobile is my provider and, apparently, the date of money transfer?

Why iD Mobile?