News

iD 5G Network: Device Compatibility

iD 5G Network: Device Compatibility

Show first post

159 replies

Userlevel 1

@iDmobilePal I really don't see any reason why your phone shouldn't work on 5G as it has band 78 NSA. 

https://m.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_mix_3_5g-9602.php

@Nickr0 and @WelshPaul In theory, yes, having a 5G enabled device means you should be able to connect to a 5G network. However, until we have tested every 5G capable device on our network for any potential compatibility issues, we cannot provide a blanket statement of saying ‘all devices work’. 

It may be that you have a 5G enabled device and it does work on our network, but until we have tested and it passes all our tests, we cannot add it to the approved devices list. 

We’re continuing to work with Three UK on device testing and ensuring all 5G compatible phones will be tested and approved for use on our new 5G network. 

I hope that makes sense. 

Any further questions, then please post them below :)

Emil

I’m curious as to what test you have to run, All the other networks that offer 5g will automatically work with any device that supports the 5g band. Are you doing some monitoring/collecting data of customers web/browsing habits? I think we need some transparency as this is strange, so my 2 year old mi mix 3 5g which supports band n78 will not work?

I really don't see any reason why your phone shouldn't work on 5G as it has band 78 NSA. 

This is the only network I come across that tests devices that already support the 5G bands to then make an official list. It confuses people, previously someone posted he was able to connect with their realme7 which isn’t on the official list.

You're right. Why bother with all that work, you think customer support would have better things to do with their time. 

My take on this is that 5G in the UK currently only works on band 78 NSA. So before you buy your new phone just check it includes that band, then hopefully it should work on all the UK's networks, including iD mobile. And gsmarena.com is a good place to check this. 

Yeah that’s why I thought it was strange, extra work. They’ve posted previously that the google pixel 5 doesn’t work on their network even though it supports band n78 and someone also posted previously that their pixel 4a (5g variant) also doesnt work which supports n78 band too, so something else is at play.

Userlevel 1

@iDmobilePal I really don't see any reason why your phone shouldn't work on 5G as it has band 78 NSA. 

@Nickr0 and @WelshPaul In theory, yes, having a 5G enabled device means you should be able to connect to a 5G network. However, until we have tested every 5G capable device on our network for any potential compatibility issues, we cannot provide a blanket statement of saying ‘all devices work’. 

It may be that you have a 5G enabled device and it does work on our network, but until we have tested and it passes all our tests, we cannot add it to the approved devices list. 

We’re continuing to work with Three UK on device testing and ensuring all 5G compatible phones will be tested and approved for use on our new 5G network. 

I hope that makes sense. 

Emil

I’m curious as to what test you have to run, All the other networks that offer 5g will automatically work with any device that supports the 5g band. Are you doing some monitoring/collecting data of customers web/browsing habits? I think we need some transparency as this is strange, so my 2 year old mi mix 3 5g which supports band n78 will not work?

I really don't see any reason why your phone shouldn't work on 5G as it has band 78 NSA. 

This is the only network I come across that tests devices that already support the 5G bands to then make an official list. It confuses people, previously someone posted he was able to connect with their realme7 which isn’t on the official list.

You're right. Why bother with all that work, you think customer support would have better things to do with their time. 

My take on this is that 5G in the UK currently only works on band 78 NSA. So before you buy your new phone just check it includes that band, then hopefully it should work on all the UK's networks, including iD mobile. And gsmarena.com is a good place to check this. 

Userlevel 1

Hi @iDmobilePal,

I can’t see the correlation between 5G not being enabled on some handsets, and the reasons you have proposed sorry. Are you able to elaborate please?

Will

Never mind. I figure when someone seeks support for their 5g phone, you can say well it’s not on the supported list. I get it now.

Pal

Userlevel 1

I hope that makes sense. 

Emil

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @iDmobilePal,

I can’t see the correlation between 5G not being enabled on some handsets, and the reasons you have proposed sorry. Are you able to elaborate please?

Will

Userlevel 1

I hope that makes sense. 

Emil

Userlevel 1

I hope that makes sense. 

Emil

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @Selgovae,

Pleased to hear that :)

Hope it helps others.

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

If it's of any use to anyone my phone (Realme 7 5g model RMX2111 - Android version 11) has just connected to 5G.

I haven't as yet had time to run any speed tests.

However as you can see it failed the ipv6 test, not that's important to me.... 

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

The Google Pixel 5 has been removed from the 5G approved devices list above on 10/08/21.

Google have confirmed some issues with compatibility with our 5G network which means iD customers will not be able to connect to our 5G network using this device.

The Google Pixel 5 5G will become available to use on our iD 5G network from mid October 2021.

Emil

Userlevel 1

@Yelloperil,

Unfortunately we can’t provide a timescale but we are adding more devices to the list.

Kash

OK thanks  - I just do not understand that three have no limitations on the phone type - if you have a 5G phone it will work.  Which is why I am wondering if I try, it could work, just as you have not tested it you do not claim it works.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Yelloperil,

Unfortunately we can’t provide a timescale but we are adding more devices to the list.

Kash

Userlevel 1

Do you have a list of phones you are working through for testing the support and will the Oppo Reno phone be on that list? 

From reading the message above it says “In theory, yes, having a 5G enabled device means you should be able to connect to a 5G network. However, until we have tested every 5G capable device on our network for any potential compatibility issues, we cannot provide a blanket statement of saying ‘all devices work’. ”

Does this mean that the Oppo Reno might work - just you do not say it is officially supported yet? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

The 5G device list has been updated with the Oppo Find X3 Lite on 23/07/21.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

List updated on 20/07/21 with Oppo Find X2 Lite and Oppo Find X3 Pro.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

@Yelloperil this has now been approved, please see the updated list above. 

Article updated on 09/07/21 with Samsung A22 5G

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Article has been updated with 2 OPPO devices that have been tested and approved for use on the iD 5G network 06/07/21. More devices will follow. 

Thanks, 

Emil

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

I hope that makes sense. 

Emil

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi @Yelloperil 

I’m sorry we do not have the answer to your question at the moment.

You can find a list of compatible phones online, I have copied the link for you below:

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/5g

I hope I was able to help you with your question.

If my answer resolved your issue, then please mark my answer as ‘Most Helpful’ using the button below the message with the answer. 

Michelle 

iD Mobile 

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

I find it odd that 5G is only available on selected 5G phones on ID mobile? It appears that if you have a 5G phone with the main network operators then providing you have a 5G enabled plan and in a 5G coverage area, you get 5G. 

Really frustrating that my phone (pixel 4a 5g) still not on the list 

I'm getting the feeling that given there is no time table for devices, and my lack of understanding why there even needs to be a list.  Will it ever get on a "list" with ID?

Maybe it's time to move networks.??  

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

This articles has now been updated with the approved Apple devices, these have been tested on the iD 5G network and are good to go! 25/06/21

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

The iPhone 12 series, is currently being tested.

Once approved, you will find them under the ‘Approved Apple Devices’ list. 

Emil

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Carrier updates are automatic. What makes you think you should have had one?

Userlevel 1

I have an iPhone 12 and haven’t had a carrier update yet? Can I do this manually or is it automatic?

Why iD Mobile?