• 20 April 2021
  • 70 replies
iD 5G Network: Device Compatibility
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
  • iD Mobile Employee
  • 164 replies

5G is here!

The wait is over! 5G is finally here and is being rolled out across the iD Mobile network.

All iD customers will be able to access the 5G network as long as they have a 5G compatible device, and the device has been tested and approved by us for use on our network. 

Want to know what devices are 5G compatible and if they’ve been tested and approved for use on our 5G network? Then search the internet no more!

We’ve made this really easy and simple for you.

All devices below are 5G compatible and have been tested and approved for use on our 5G network, VoLTE and WiFi Calling.

Approved Android Devices:

Samsung:

• Samsung A22 5G
  • Samsung A42 5G
  • Samsung A52s 5G
  • Samsung S21 5G
  • Samsung S21 Plus 5G
  • Samsung S21 Ultra 5G

Huawei:

• Huawei P40 5G
  • Huawei P40 Pro 5G

Motorola:

• Motorola G50
  • Motorola Edge 20

• Motorola Edge 20 Lite

• Motorola Edge 20 Pro

OPPO:

• Oppo A54 5G

• Oppo Find X2 Lite

• Oppo Find X3 Lite

• Oppo Find X3 Neo 5G

• Oppo Find X3 Pro 5G

Approved Apple Devices:

Apple:

• iPhone 12
  • iPhone 12 Mini
  • iPhone 12 Pro
  • iPhone 12 Pro Max

• iPhone 13
  • iPhone 13 Mini
  • iPhone 13 Pro
  • iPhone 13 Pro Max

Please ensure you are running the most up-to-date software. 

Device Testing:

• Google Pixel 5 (Expected approval: Mid October)

As our 5G network continues to be rolled out, the list of devices will continue to grow every time a new 5G enabled device is released and the more devices we start to test. Check back to this article regularly so you don’t miss out.  

70 replies

Userlevel 2

Slim list… hopefully it reaches the Galaxy A90 5G soon so I can be tempted back to iD (although curious if anyone has any luck with it on unsupported devices - Wifi Calling/VoLTE worked fine even though this phone isn’t on the list)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi @TheMoodBoardz,

We will send you a PM now so we can check out the 5G coverage in the areas mentioned just in case there is a problem with the coverage.

Ryan

Userlevel 1

@iDmobilePal I really don't see any reason why your phone shouldn't work on 5G as it has band 78 NSA. 

https://m.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_mix_3_5g-9602.php

@Nickr0 and @WelshPaul In theory, yes, having a 5G enabled device means you should be able to connect to a 5G network. However, until we have tested every 5G capable device on our network for any potential compatibility issues, we cannot provide a blanket statement of saying ‘all devices work’. 

It may be that you have a 5G enabled device and it does work on our network, but until we have tested and it passes all our tests, we cannot add it to the approved devices list. 

We’re continuing to work with Three UK on device testing and ensuring all 5G compatible phones will be tested and approved for use on our new 5G network. 

I hope that makes sense. 

Any further questions, then please post them below :)

Emil

I’m curious as to what test you have to run, All the other networks that offer 5g will automatically work with any device that supports the 5g band. Are you doing some monitoring/collecting data of customers web/browsing habits? I think we need some transparency as this is strange, so my 2 year old mi mix 3 5g which supports band n78 will not work?

I really don't see any reason why your phone shouldn't work on 5G as it has band 78 NSA. 

Userlevel 1

@iDmobilePal I really don't see any reason why your phone shouldn't work on 5G as it has band 78 NSA. 

@Nickr0 and @WelshPaul In theory, yes, having a 5G enabled device means you should be able to connect to a 5G network. However, until we have tested every 5G capable device on our network for any potential compatibility issues, we cannot provide a blanket statement of saying ‘all devices work’. 

It may be that you have a 5G enabled device and it does work on our network, but until we have tested and it passes all our tests, we cannot add it to the approved devices list. 

We’re continuing to work with Three UK on device testing and ensuring all 5G compatible phones will be tested and approved for use on our new 5G network. 

I hope that makes sense. 

Emil

I’m curious as to what test you have to run, All the other networks that offer 5g will automatically work with any device that supports the 5g band. Are you doing some monitoring/collecting data of customers web/browsing habits? I think we need some transparency as this is strange, so my 2 year old mi mix 3 5g which supports band n78 will not work?

I really don't see any reason why your phone shouldn't work on 5G as it has band 78 NSA. 

This is the only network I come across that tests devices that already support the 5G bands to then make an official list. It confuses people, previously someone posted he was able to connect with their realme7 which isn’t on the official list.

Userlevel 1

I hope that makes sense. 

Emil

This is the only network I come across that tests devices that already support the 5G bands to then make an official list. It confuses people, previously someone posted he was able to connect with their realme7 which isn’t on the official list.

You're right. Why bother with all that work, you think customer support would have better things to do with their time. 

My take on this is that 5G in the UK currently only works on band 78 NSA. So before you buy your new phone just check it includes that band, then hopefully it should work on all the UK's networks, including iD mobile. And gsmarena.com is a good place to check this. 

Userlevel 1

I hope that makes sense. 

Emil

You're right. Why bother with all that work, you think customer support would have better things to do with their time. 

My take on this is that 5G in the UK currently only works on band 78 NSA. So before you buy your new phone just check it includes that band, then hopefully it should work on all the UK's networks, including iD mobile. And gsmarena.com is a good place to check this. 

Yeah that’s why I thought it was strange, extra work. They’ve posted previously that the google pixel 5 doesn’t work on their network even though it supports band n78 and someone also posted previously that their pixel 4a (5g variant) also doesnt work which supports n78 band too, so something else is at play.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

I hope that makes sense. 

Emil

Userlevel 1

Would you mind replying to my comment to your reply, from yesterday ? Pixel 5 still not compatible with 5g .

Userlevel 1

Cool, thanks

Userlevel 1

Hi,

Roughly how long will it take for the oppo find x3 neo to be compatible as I am due an upgrade and feel its pointless if its going to take months to use all of the phones features. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi @Johnlightbulb,

The phone may still be able to connect to the 5G network, it just means we have not tested it yet. Any 5G enabled phone may still work and be able to connect to 5G; however, as we haven’t tested it we cannot guarantee it will until its been tested and placed on the list above.

Ryan

Userlevel 1

@Yelloperil,

Unfortunately we can’t provide a timescale but we are adding more devices to the list.

Kash

OK thanks  - I just do not understand that three have no limitations on the phone type - if you have a 5G phone it will work.  Which is why I am wondering if I try, it could work, just as you have not tested it you do not claim it works.

Userlevel 1

Hi ID,

Great news on 5G, please don't forget to add the Oneplus 9 Pro, my latest device... ☺️ ☺️ ☺️ 

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hey @jtankard keep your eyes peeled here, as new devices will be added.

Emil 

Userlevel 1

I beg for 5g for my oppo find X3 pro 🙏

Userlevel 1

Is 5G ready to come to the IPhone 12 as I’ve had a carrier update recently and the 5G option is now visible in mobile data settings 

Userlevel 1

I’m more then happy just to have 5G on Id as it hasn’t been available on the iPhone until now

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi @FriendlyLlama 

I would imagine it won't be too much longer until the iPhone 12 will be tested and confirmed as a working 5G compatible handset on our network.

-Mohsin

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

The iPhone 12 series, is currently being tested.

Once approved, you will find them under the ‘Approved Apple Devices’ list. 

Emil

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

The Google Pixel 5 has been removed from the 5G approved devices list above on 10/08/21.

Google have confirmed some issues with compatibility with our 5G network which means iD customers will not be able to connect to our 5G network using this device.

The Google Pixel 5 5G will become available to use on our iD 5G network from mid October 2021.

Emil

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

This articles has now been updated with the approved Apple devices, these have been tested on the iD 5G network and are good to go! 25/06/21

Userlevel 1

If it's of any use to anyone my phone (Realme 7 5g model RMX2111 - Android version 11) has just connected to 5G.

I haven't as yet had time to run any speed tests.

However as you can see it failed the ipv6 test, not that's important to me.... 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hey @Selgovae,

Pleased to hear that :)

Hope it helps others.

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

I hope that makes sense. 

Emil

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @iDmobilePal,

I can’t see the correlation between 5G not being enabled on some handsets, and the reasons you have proposed sorry. Are you able to elaborate please?

Will