Question

Creating an online account when you only have a data sim

• 8 April 2020
  • 7 replies

Hi,

We bought a data sim for my Mother so we could keep in touch with her but I think she has run out of credit and I am trying to set up an account so we can see and if needs be add more.

The trouble is when trying to register for an online account I put in the mobile number, name, date of birth and it says it texts a code to the device, but we don't have messages set up and she says she does not receive anything.  How can we set up the account?

Gareth

7 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hey @Gareth Jones 

Is the sim card inserted into the mobile phone or a tablet / iPad?

yes, that is all fine.  The ipad was working etc but I think she has just run out of allowance and that's why we want to set up an account to add some more.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hey @Gareth Jones 

The reason why I asked is because you are not able to received text message on an iPad if you move your Sim Card to any unlocked mobile phone, just for few minutes. So you could go through with registration you will receive the message with the code then. Give it a try if you can and let me know if this helped.

Kind Regards 

Gregor

The trouble is this is with my 83 year old mother, I would not be able to talk her though that especially as the Sim will be different size for her very old basic mobile phone.

If that is what is needed to be done, then it would be easier to close this SIM, get another and set that up and then send it to her which is a bit of a pain considering I just want to add some more credit and manage the account. :-)

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hey @Gareth Jones 

This is a fair point. I wish I could help more but this is the only way I can think of. I will tag her @AklimaRahman and @Nikhil P and maybe they will be able to provide you with better suggestion. I would like your mum to stay connected so lets see what they will say about it. 

Kind Regards 

Gregor

Thank you for trying to help. :-)

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

@Gareth Jones 

I will send you a private message with some more information. 

Aklima 

Why iD Mobile?