Solved

Data usage despite Mobile Data not enabled on phone

• 22 December 2018
  • 11 replies

I've noticed a small amount of data (c. 120K) has been used on my plan despite Mobile Data not being enabled on my phone. Not a huge problem but does anyone know how data can be used when Mobile Data is disabled?
icon

Best answer by terrywebbs 22 December 2018, 18:39

View original

11 replies

Badge +10
Welcome to the ID Community,

Yes very easily, every app by default on your mobile has access to the internet regardless of data being enabled. At some point an app or your mobile communicated with either the ID network or another service when data was only on briefly during initial setup possibly. Nothing to worry about but you should check in on what apps you want to have access to the internet and disallow those you think may eat up your data when you do enable data.

Facebook, twitter, whatsapp and google, to name a few are data eaters, even if you have wifi on, they will always try to connect to the internet any way they can, so if your wifi drops out they will hunt out the data connection if enabled and use that.
Thanks for replying. However, data has never been enabled on my phone during the last 12 months, even for a moment which is why I was surprised when I saw that 120K had been used.
Userlevel 2
Badge
@Edward Trunk How strange...

I'd take it into a Carphone Warehouse. They'll help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Hello @Edward Trunk,

When is the data usage showing for?

Have you got a screenshot of the app?

Mohammed
Ihave same problem yesterday I had 1.2gb and next day 300mb I know I didn't use ..it's seems it's marketing to buy extra GBs?!!! Yesterday I had 223 and today 269mb???!!!

and today shows me 269 how comes???
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Hello @johnnylagoos,

It's always best to turn OFF mobile data when not in use. This will stop your handset from automatically picking up to mobile data when the WiFi signal drops or apps using the data in the background.

Have you checked to see if there are any background apps using data?

Some devices allow the ability to record data usage for a period of time. If configured to the same billing dates as your iD bill, you should be able to see the usage here and which apps have used the data.

We would be able to provide a breakdown of this usage on your account also.

Mohammed
Iknow what you are talking ..I have always battery saver ...if I am not using mobile it's data off automatically...therefore I am wondering it manipulation with data!!! One day less and another more data?! Explain me
Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi @johnnylagoos

When using the mobile app (whilst on mobile data) 50mb is reserved for use by the App (to ensure you have time and data to make all the changes you may want to make to your account whilst on the go).

In the screenshot in which you have more data (the day after) it appears as though you're connected there on home Wi-Fi (which would mean no mobile data was in use at that point).

If your phone doesn't have a means to keep tabs on the data usage, then you could email if you would like us to particularly detail when some data usage spikes have occurred.

If you're emailing us, please include in that mail: your community username, your full name, home address, mobile number, and date of birth.

On my new phone I cannot access mobile data 

This is an upgraded phone activated sim card easily but mobile data is not allowing access to adult content even though it is switched on for such access 

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi @Mandygirl 

It has been a few days since you posted, if you are still having difficulties, please let us know and we’ll send you a PM so that we can check your account setting in more detail. 

Michelle 

Why iD Mobile?