Question

on wifi so why has my data allowance changed so much in five minutes??

• 21 November 2020
  • 7 replies

Hi. My first post so be kind 😃.
My data allowance seems to fluctuate over the course of minutes, when I’m at home on Wi-fi- I am really puzzled. I tried live chat last night but all I kept getting was “I won’t be long” and variants of that for over half an hour, so gave up. I am going to attach some pictures to show you what I mean -

any ideas/advice will be gratefully received, thanks. 

This topic has been closed for comments

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Do you have any automatically update in background for application.

Do you keep mobile data on always.

I’ve turned everything off but what I don’t understand is in all the time I’ve been with iD, I carry over nearly if not all my data.  But what is really strange is that my first screen shot is 0.4 left and the second one, it’s gone up!!  This morning it’s gone back down again.  I don’t know why everything has suddenly changed.  Somehow, I managed to use £75 worth of data on the train coming home from London one night…....texting.  Fortunately iD were really helpful but something is going on, but got no idea what.  I’m scared to take my phone out with me now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I’ve turned everything off but what I don’t understand is in all the time I’ve been with iD, I carry over nearly if not all my data.  But what is really strange is that my first screen shot is 0.4 left and the second one, it’s gone up!!  This morning it’s gone back down again.  I don’t know why everything has suddenly changed.  Somehow, I managed to use £75 worth of data on the train coming home from London one night…....texting.  Fortunately iD were really helpful but something is going on, but got no idea what.  I’m scared to take my phone out with me now.

Hello @Fluffyduck69,

The app, as far as I know, reserves 50MB of data when accessing via Mobile data and you’ll see this is released when you switch to WiFi.

That’s the only way data can change immediately by going up/down.

Mohammed

Thanks for your reply Mohammed but at all times, when taking the screenshots I was on Wi-fi. How can the data go up and down whilst on Wi-fi?

I'm having similar problems, last 2 months I've had a msg to say I've used 80% but I don't know how/why. My usage hasn't altered but data goes right down way before end of the month.  Eventually after a lot of waiting got through to online chat person about billing issue but not very helpful .

I'm having similar problems, last 2 months I've had a msg to say I've used 80% but I don't know how/why. My usage hasn't altered but data goes right down way before end of the month.  Eventually after a lot of waiting got through to online chat person about billing issue but not very helpful .

Yes, exactly that!  80% used within about two days of billing cycle, when on wifi about 98% of the time. I’ve turned everything off and am slowly reintroducing each app as I need to use off wifi and keeping an eye on data usage to see if something is triggering it.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi there @Fluffyduck69 

There had been a temporary issue in which when you would use the app, the app would be reserving 500mb of data (instead of 50mb) to ensure you had the data to check anything or make any changes you’d need through the iD Mobile App.

That issue has since been fixed though, and it would only ever be a temporary issue in which you’d be lead to believe you didn’t have as much data lect.

I’m not sure if that could have been something adding to any confusion.  If you’re still noticing problems though then it would be worth monitoring the data usage by app’s in your phone within your phone’s settings.

The whereabouts of that can vary from phone to phone, but for Android’s currently it’s under:  Settings > Mobile Network > Data Usage

Monitoring this is a good way to get a handle of what app’s use a lot of data.

Why iD Mobile?