Solved

Using an existing email address for a new account

Hi there, I have an old account that closed quite a long time ago and I’m creating a new online account for my current phone number. Whenever I try to use my email to log in, a message pops up saying:

‘Your iD plan ended more than 6 months ago, so your online account has now been closed. If you need help, please call our customer services team on 0333 003 7777.’

If I try to create a new account, it won’t let me as my email address is linked to my previous account. How can I create a new account with the same email? Customer service over the phone and live chat is not available currently.

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Kevin 30 July 2020, 17:48

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi there @Tuskbug 

Unfortunately this is a limitation of our account system.  Each new account would need to be it’s own unique entity, with it’s own username and email attached.

If it’s a gmail address you’re using, you could add a fullstop into your email (to the left of the @gmail.com/@googlemail.com) and to our systems that will appear to be a new email, though mail would still arrive as it were to the email as if no full stop was included.

Thanks Kevin, I’ll give it a try.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

No worries @Tuskbug,

Please let us know if you need anything else.

Will

Hi, is this still the case? Could I not have my old account reactivated instead and just attach my new contract details to it? 

Cheers. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @Chris2345,

This is still the case and we can’t reinstate an old account. Sorry for any inconvenience caused by that.

Ryan

Userlevel 1

Does adding the full stop to existing Gmail address as per Kevin's answer work?

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi @Angela_13 

You are more than welcome to try adding a full stop to your existing email address when creating a new iD account for a second number, however, if it does not work, it may be best to create a new email address for your second iD account. 

-Mohsin 

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

In theory you can use whatever email address you like, even if you don’t own it...

I used mymobilenumber@idmobile.co.uk for both my accounts because it’s just a username. 

However, once logged in navigate to:

• My account > My details > Email address

And update the entry with your real email address. You can still use it here even if you used it with a previous account.

Userlevel 1

Finally, someone who sounds helpful, I'll give it a try. Thank you WelshPaul 

Userlevel 1

Works perfectly, I have access to the App using the made up email address. As you said, once in it allows you to change your email address in 'My Account.

I'm so happy that I don't have to have a second email address, cheers Buddy 👍

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Wow @WelshPaul,

Great work around! We’ll be sure to keep this in mind in future. Glad you’re now sorted @Angela_13.

Will

Badge +10

Another workaround that will actually give you a working email address, no need to change anything on the account side!

Simply add a plus sign + not a full stop and you can even receive email.

This will give you an email alias at your current email provider
(works for the vast majority of email accounts)

yourname@gmail.com

yourname+account1@gmail.com

yourname+account2@gmail.com

yourname+account3@gmail.com

Giving you three alias’s that will receive email at your email address.

Neat little trick if you ever want a few more free email addresses to test out services or remain anonymous on the internet….

Why iD Mobile?