Blog

8 great delivery services to try out

8 great delivery services to try out
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
  • iD Mobile Employee
  • 118 replies

Getting food and groceries delivered to our homes is at an all-time high. Last year alone, delivery service use grew by 123%. All you need is a phone and a few choice apps, and you can have meals and groceries delivered to your door in minutes.

But which delivery services are the best for you?

With so much choice out there, we thought we’d highlight some of the best there is and make it simple for you to work out which ones would suit you. Some are UK wide, while others are exclusive to major cities. Some offer delivery in minutes while with others you have to book a slot and wait your turn.

Let’s see which services really deliver… 😉

Takeaways:

Just Eat

Did somebody say Just Eat? You’ve probably seen the ads, but what’s in it for you? Just Eat delivers to lots of cities and regions in the UK and cover big high street names like McDonald’s, Greggs as well as loads of small restaurants.

Their app makes finding your perfect takeaway easy, but they currently lack options like seeing how far away your takeaway is. There’s a delivery and service charge with each order, but you might prefer that to walking to the takeaway in the rain!

Uber Eats

Uber is a global phenomenon for competitively priced taxi rides, but did you know that they’ve got into the takeaway game too? And because it’s Uber, you can always see how far away your food is.

While Uber Eats isn’t always the cheapest option, they regularly run promotions and offers – so it’s a great pick if you love a discount code!

Deliveroo

Deliveroo was one of the earliest app-based takeaway options, and they’re incredibly well established. They not only cover high street favourites like KFC and McDonald’s, but you can also order anything from daily groceries to a bottle of wine.

With each order, you’ll be charged a service fee and delivery charge, but you can also go premium to get free delivery on all orders. It’s a great option if you’re using Deliveroo regularly.

Groceries and ingredients:

Oddbox

Getting your food delivered doesn’t just mean takeaway. Aspiring chefs who like to do their bit for the planet should look into services like Oddbox. Founded in London in 2016, Oddbox works with farmers to deliver fruit and veg that is still delicious but may be a bit wonky for supermarkets to stock – and so would be wasted otherwise.

They currently deliver to London, Bristol and much of the South of England, but are expanding their delivery service. Watch this space!

Ocado

If you don’t want to spend Saturdays pushing a trolley around Waitrose or M&S, Ocado is a great alternative. You can get thousands of groceries from big brands. But it’s not for little shops, since the minimum spend is £40.

The good news is that you’ll likely get a next-day delivery slot between 7am and 10pm, so it’s great for weekend deliveries. Spend a little extra and you can get a SmartPass, which gives you priority access to the most popular slots. They’re also committed to reducing CO2 emissions and using recycled carrier bags.

Getir

Fancy a snack or need an essential ingredient? When you need groceries right away, Getir gets them to you. Getir reckons it can get you what you need in as little as 10 minutes, and cover lots of major UK cities.

Their app contains 1,500 products which updates in real time, so you won’t have to make do with substitutions. There are always deals and promotions, so you won’t miss out on those supermarket bargains either.

The delivery fee will vary depending upon where you live and how much you order, but it’ll save you from making a trip to the shops.

DIY meals:

Pasta Evangelists

Love pasta but can’t wait? Pasta Evangelists let you choose from 10 recipes a week and they offer next-day delivery that fits right through your letter box.

The sauces are premade, so you’ll just need 10 minutes to heat up the pasta. Vegans and vegetarians are well catered for, with authentic recipes like orecchiette with pesto and a pistachio crumb. Fancy!

HelloFresh

If you love restaurant quality cooking, but don’t fancy peeling potatoes, HelloFresh gives you the best of both worlds. Sign up for their service and they’ll send you a pre-prepared meal kit that you can put together at home in as little as 20 minutes.

They offer three different plans – family, classic or rapid – plus you can decide how many meals you want a week. And it’s all pretty good value. Sign up for three recipes a week for two people and it comes in at £5 a meal. Not bad for a seafood linguine!

Allplants

Lots of us are either trying out veganism or at least making an effort to cut down on meat, but thinking up quick vegan options on a weeknight can be a headscratcher.

Allplants currently have 50+ different ready meals to choose from, including a jackfruit burrito bowl or mushroom risotto. And since they come in recycling friendly packaging, you can just heat them up straight away or keep them in the freezer for when you need them.

Meals come in at about £7-8 per serving, so maybe not the cheapest, but subscribe and buy in bulk and you’ll make savings. Delivery is UK-wide and free on weekdays, but there’s a small charge for the weekend.

Competition Time - Closed

This month, we want to know which is your favourite delivery service and why? Maybe it's the convenience of Ocado, perhaps you like a cheeky Uber Eats, or you could be a "pasta evangelist".

Those who share their thoughts will be in with the chance to win... a £100 Uber Eats voucher!

The competition ends at 23:59 on 20th May 2022, and we'll announce the lucky iD community winner shortly after.

T&C's apply.

56 replies

Userlevel 1

I am Housebound and have beeen living alone for 2 years. If I did not have my food delivered I would starve. It is a lifeline especially during lockdowns, when I had priority deliveries. Thank you to all the wonderful people who kept me going. My favourite delivery service is Uber eats, because it is usually cheaper and I can see where my food is when on its way to me.

Userlevel 1

We prefer Just Eat..the add on charges are less than competitors and there’s more takeaway option too. 

Userlevel 1

I like using Gousto sometimes since you can make quite good meals with them, and Pick up a few new recipes at the same time 

Userlevel 1

If we fancy a Chinese or Indian takeaway Just Eat are always quick and reliable and deliver our favourite meals to our door, the service is very easy to use and is super convenient if I am pushed for time after working in the office all day 😀

We use Just Eat and Uber Eats. The 1 we use depends on the promotions at the time.

Userlevel 1

I love deliveroo, they are usually fast.

Uber eats or just eat. Or Uber eats to get groceries to be delivered when you can’t be bothered :)

I love deliveroo, they are usually fast.

Do they offer many promo’s Kitty?

Userlevel 2

Food supplies supermarket home delivery.  Occado best service but waitrise high prices.

Can't beat takeaway service provided by the establishment 

Userlevel 1

I'm new to the delivery services and have only used Just Eat and Uber Eats. I'm happy these services are now available where I live, Deliveroo is very recent in this area. Uber Eats was handy when I was isolating and the driver was faster than the estimated time. I like that it was no contact and you can stay in your PJs!

Has to be just eat,   they are the only ones on the list that deliver here,   we use Asda for groceries and Just eat / deliveroo for takeaways.    Our local supermarkets are really small and the expensive ones, so it works out cheaper to pay for deliver than what it costs us to either buy from the small asda which add 10p minimum to nearly every item or to pay for fuel to drive the 40 ish mile round trip to the normal size asda which charge normal prices.   Its also cheaper aswell as we only buy what's on the list and no impulse buys or buying reduced items only to throw away / feed to the zoo a few days later 🙈

Userlevel 2

I don’t do many deliveries because of the cost of living but Deliveroo and Ocado are v.good.  I’d love to win the Uber Eats voucher and try more :)

Different service for different needs- absolutely LOVE our oddbox, not having to think and get inspired too. But could’nt do without Deliveroo on a lazy Friday night...

Getting food and groceries delivered to our homes is at an all-time high. Last year alone, delivery service use grew by 123%. All you need is a phone and a few choice apps, and you can have meals and groceries delivered to your door in minutes.

But which delivery services are the best for you?

With so much choice out there, we thought we’d highlight some of the best there is and make it simple for you to work out which ones would suit you. Some are UK wide, while others are exclusive to major cities. Some offer delivery in minutes while with others you have to book a slot and wait your turn.

Let’s see which services really deliver… 😉

Takeaways:

Just Eat

Did somebody say Just Eat? You’ve probably seen the ads, but what’s in it for you? Just Eat delivers to lots of cities and regions in the UK and cover big high street names like McDonald’s, Greggs as well as loads of small restaurants.

Their app makes finding your perfect takeaway easy, but they currently lack options like seeing how far away your takeaway is. There’s a delivery and service charge with each order, but you might prefer that to walking to the takeaway in the rain!

Uber Eats

Uber is a global phenomenon for competitively priced taxi rides, but did you know that they’ve got into the takeaway game too? And because it’s Uber, you can always see how far away your food is.

While Uber Eats isn’t always the cheapest option, they regularly run promotions and offers – so it’s a great pick if you love a discount code!

Deliveroo

Deliveroo was one of the earliest app-based takeaway options, and they’re incredibly well established. They not only cover high street favourites like KFC and McDonald’s, but you can also order anything from daily groceries to a bottle of wine.

With each order, you’ll be charged a service fee and delivery charge, but you can also go premium to get free delivery on all orders. It’s a great option if you’re using Deliveroo regularly.

Groceries and ingredients:

Oddbox

Getting your food delivered doesn’t just mean takeaway. Aspiring chefs who like to do their bit for the planet should look into services like Oddbox. Founded in London in 2016, Oddbox works with farmers to deliver fruit and veg that is still delicious but may be a bit wonky for supermarkets to stock – and so would be wasted otherwise.

They currently deliver to London, Bristol and much of the South of England, but are expanding their delivery service. Watch this space!

Ocado

If you don’t want to spend Saturdays pushing a trolley around Waitrose or M&S, Ocado is a great alternative. You can get thousands of groceries from big brands. But it’s not for little shops, since the minimum spend is £40.

The good news is that you’ll likely get a next-day delivery slot between 7am and 10pm, so it’s great for weekend deliveries. Spend a little extra and you can get a SmartPass, which gives you priority access to the most popular slots. They’re also committed to reducing CO2 emissions and using recycled carrier bags.

Getir

Fancy a snack or need an essential ingredient? When you need groceries right away, Getir gets them to you. Getir reckons it can get you what you need in as little as 10 minutes, and cover lots of major UK cities.

Their app contains 1,500 products which updates in real time, so you won’t have to make do with substitutions. There are always deals and promotions, so you won’t miss out on those supermarket bargains either.

The delivery fee will vary depending upon where you live and how much you order, but it’ll save you from making a trip to the shops.

DIY meals:

Pasta Evangelists

Love pasta but can’t wait? Pasta Evangelists let you choose from 10 recipes a week and they offer next-day delivery that fits right through your letter box.

The sauces are premade, so you’ll just need 10 minutes to heat up the pasta. Vegans and vegetarians are well catered for, with authentic recipes like orecchiette with pesto and a pistachio crumb. Fancy!

HelloFresh

If you love restaurant quality cooking, but don’t fancy peeling potatoes, HelloFresh gives you the best of both worlds. Sign up for their service and they’ll send you a pre-prepared meal kit that you can put together at home in as little as 20 minutes.

They offer three different plans – family, classic or rapid – plus you can decide how many meals you want a week. And it’s all pretty good value. Sign up for three recipes a week for two people and it comes in at £5 a meal. Not bad for a seafood linguine!

Allplants

Lots of us are either trying out veganism or at least making an effort to cut down on meat, but thinking up quick vegan options on a weeknight can be a headscratcher.

Allplants currently have 50+ different ready meals to choose from, including a jackfruit burrito bowl or mushroom risotto. And since they come in recycling friendly packaging, you can just heat them up straight away or keep them in the freezer for when you need them.

Meals come in at about £7-8 per serving, so maybe not the cheapest, but subscribe and buy in bulk and you’ll make savings. Delivery is UK-wide and free on weekdays, but there’s a small charge for the weekend.

Competition Time:

This month, we want to know which is your favourite delivery service and why? Maybe it's the convenience of Ocado, perhaps you like a cheeky Uber Eats, or you could be a "pasta evangelist".

Those who share their thoughts will be in with the chance to win... a £100 Uber Eats voucher!

The competition ends at 23:59 on 20th May 2022, and we'll announce the lucky iD community winner shortly after.

T&C's apply.

I tend to favour just eat as it's always cheaper for take aways. I use supermarkets own delivery services for other groceries

Userlevel 1

I live in a semi rural town we only have independent stores that have their own delivery service which is excellent.  My daughter uses uber a lot and is very happy with the service. I have shares in Deliveroo and I am not happy with the performance :(

Uber Eats all the way!!!

I usually use Just eat. Never used uber eats before so if I won the competition it would give me a good reason to try new foods in my area

Userlevel 1

Order straight from the takeaway, cheaper, better service, no delivery charges.  Cut out the middle man!

I work 6 days a week so tescos home delivery is a life saver. We always use just eat for are takeaway as its a really good site to use and without hidden charges 

Userlevel 1

Got to love a cheeky just eat,nothing strenuous  just opn the door and remove carton lids from the Chinese takeaway perfect!

Love ordering a Chinese takeaway on Uber eats. Kung Po chicken and egg fried rice 😋

Userlevel 3

Don’t do much food delivery, but the occasional Indian meal from a not-so-local restaurant is by Just Eat and has been done easily.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Never use but £100 would convince me to try 😁

Just eat because I’ve never tried the others. 

The only one I have ever used is Ocado 

Why iD Mobile?