Blog

iD Mobile's 2022 Holiday Checklist

iD Mobile's 2022 Holiday Checklist
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
  • iD Mobile Employee
  • 118 replies

Your Holiday Checklist

Planning a little holiday this year? After a long time in limbo, the easing of restrictions means many of us are rushing to book that little trip we’ve been set on ever since the start of the pandemic. But before you jet off, are you sure you have everything you’ll need?

Many big changes have happened since we were last freely able to travel to wherever takes our fancy. Among them are the UK’s covid restrictions, the restrictions and rules of the country you’re heading to, and the fact that UK passport holders no longer queue at passport control with EU passport holders. However, there are quite a few other things you’ll want to keep in mind before you put your out-of-office on and skip to the airport! Here they are…

Roam like at home:

Don’t worry about relying on dodgy café Wi-Fi or keeping your phone in airplane mode. iD Mobile still offer Inclusive Roaming in 50 destinations, and we have no plans to change our policy. That means you can use all the data, minutes and texts already included in your allowance, in any of these countries, at no extra cost.

Not only will your allowances come in handy when checking in with the news back home, but it also means you can use Google Maps or Citymapper to navigate like a native wherever you go! No oversized folding maps, no payphones and no add-ons needed…

Sidenote: don’t start your holiday off with the customary signal struggle. Instead, make sure you’ve got roaming turned on before you leave the UK. That way, your phone should be able to find and settle on a network with good signal the moment you land and take your phone out of airplane mode. Simply head to the iD Mobile app, tap on Services, then toggle Roaming to ‘on’. Now you’re ready to roam. And don’t forget iD Mobile have no current plans to alter or change the current roaming policy.

Make sure your passport is valid!

It may sound super basic, but it’s very easy to forget important things like when your passport expires, especially if you’re an infrequent traveller. Remember, you need at least six months remaining before your passport expiry date to be able to travel to other countries. If your passport’s set to expire within six months, you’ll need to get it renewed before you travel. You’ll need it to check in online and download your boarding pass anyway, so it’s good to be prepared!

And if you’re cutting it close to your holiday, it may be worth paying to get your passport renewed urgently. That way, you can be sure it’ll arrive before you’re set to go.

Need a visa?

Certain countries don’t require you to have a visa if you’re just going for a week’s break, or maybe even longer. If you’re holidaying to an EU destination, all you’ll need is your passport and all your COVID compliance stuff (we’ll get to that later) and you’re set. However, some countries, like the USA, require you to obtain a visa waiver to enter as a visitor.

Wherever you’re going, and however you plan to get there, it’s vital to check the entry requirements on gov.uk and leaving yourself plenty of time to make sure you’ve got everything in order. The last thing you want after a long-haul (or even short-haul) trip is to spend even longer at the security desk. The sooner everything’s sorted, the sooner you can get into relaxation mode.

COVID-19 Vaccine Pass, tests and exemptions

Here’s where things get a little complicated. Whatever country you’re visiting will have its own rules and restrictions around COVID-19. For instance, if you’re soaking up the sun in Spain, you’ll need proof of your vaccination status and you’ll need to complete a Health Control Form before you arrive. In France, you’ll need to present a negative COVID test result and a sworn declaration that you don’t have any symptoms. Even then, without proof of your vaccination status, you’ll need to isolate for 10 days upon arrival. If you’re not vaccinated, it may be a lot trickier finding a holiday destination  Be sure to check out foreign travel advice before you book your trip, so you’re already one step ahead.

And don’t forget, there are also further rules when the time comes to return to the UK. You’ll need to complete a Passenger Locator Form, and if you’re going on holiday before 11th February, the chances are that you’ll have to book a PCR or lateral flow test to be done once you return. You may also be required to do a fit-to-fly test before going to the airport, so check before you travel!

Top tip: Because of the ever-changing nature of the pandemic, particularly from country to country, these rules are subject to frequent and fast changes. Book your private tests nearer to your holiday to avoid any unnecessary expense.

Don’t forget insurance

According to the stats in 2020, 30% of British people didn’t book travel insurance when they booked their most recent trip. While travel insurance isn’t a legal necessity, when it comes to real peace of mind, we’d argue it’s an essential.

With a good travel insurance policy you’re protected against the things that could potentially spoil your holiday. We’re talking about lost suitcases upon arrival, misplaced money, flight cancellations, medical bills should you become ill when you’re away, or even accommodation cover if you test positive for COVID-19 while you’re away and need to isolate beyond your planned trip dates. All these things are easier to deal with when you’re backed by a great insurance policy. Plus, with good cover, you’re way more likely to embrace your adventurous side while you’re away!

Be sure to add insurance shopping to your holiday prep. Head to one of the many comparison websites out there and compare insurance policies on the level of cover, customer satisfaction, and how much excess you’ll need to pay should the worst happen.

Snap happy

You’ll want to take some snaps while you’re basking in the unique architecture, stunning scenery and wonderful weather. But if your camera’s no good, you probably won’t ever look back on the pictures you take, let alone share them. For photos you’ll want to share on your socials, and for memories that you’ll never want to lose, you’ll need a good camera.

Luckily, smartphone cameras are only getting better. So, you don’t need to dedicate a chunk of your hand luggage space to a bulky digital camera. If you’re not a pro photographer, it doesn’t matter. Most new phones have incredible AI that recognises the scene you’re tying to capture and automatically adjusts the settings for the best result. That’s the quickest way to shoot a winning photo when you’re away. However, if you like to delve a little deeper and express your photographic style, the pro settings are the way to go.

Worried your phone isn’t going to cut it when it comes down to looking back on that holiday album? Our latest iPhones and Android smartphones have you covered.

Disclaimer: All information presented in this article was correct at the date and time of writing.

There you have it. Those are the essentials that are worth remembering when the time comes to prepare for that holiday. Have we missed anything out? What things do you consider essential when you book a holiday? Let your fellow Community members know in the comments below!

Competition Time:

For a chance to win a £100 Currys gift card all you need to do is tell us where you want to holiday next and why? 

Good luck!

T&Cs apply. 

Congratulations to@danhanjon you have won a £100 Currys gift card. 

151 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Still waiting for foreign travel to normalise post-covid before making plans

Userlevel 2

We would like to go to NZ North for our holiday,  We have a daughter living there. This would be a fantastic opportunity to meet up before my wife's Dementia gets too severe.

I’d love to go Amsterdam  

Userlevel 1

Let me go to Japan please :) 

Userlevel 1

As long as it’s with me family I don’t care where it is. 

Userlevel 1

I’m hoping to get to Morocco again - this time Casablanca and Fes.  Just love the combination in Casablanca of traditional Moroccan with art deco…. and all things Moroccan anyway!

I'd love to go to Thailand as we had booked to go in 2020, then COVID hit and it was rescheduled until 2021 before it was cancelled again! I hope to get there sometime soon 🇹🇭🛕🕍🕉️

I would say north Wales next holiday 

We will be going to south Devon for our next holiday we love a staycation in this beautiful country and we have been to north Devon and Cornwall so south Devon is next on the list we are looking for a nice private cottage with a hot tub for some romantic evenings. Bring on the Wine 

Salou in Spain. Great location and ideal spot for great adventures - Barcelona, Tarragona, Montserrat ...

I would like to go toCanada. I  the fall or spring.Perhaps on a cruise.

A tour of Japan, from top to bottom! To experience their food, technology, culture, mountains, cities. It’s got a bit of everything

Userlevel 1

I would love to go back to Miami. I’ve not been for about fives years and I would love to go back.

Greece,Lovely friendly people love Greek food and culture 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I love the theme parks in Florida and would holiday there again.  It’s not just Harry Potter (although that is a big part), the water park rides are exhilarating, Busch Gardens has so much and … chair lifts!  I love a chair lift and so few places have them.  Then there’s Discovery Cove where you can snorkel with hundreds of fish and rays and to within a couple of inches of sharks… well, through glass.  I eat an enormous amount but exercise constantly running around the parks and up stairs to the top of rides that it all works itself out and I return having toned up without actively trying.  I would love to do this all again.

Userlevel 1

I would love to go to the Holy Land. But this year I am hoping to go to the Netherlands staying on a houseboat on one of the lakes. Yes please.

I would love to go to Italy next to visit. There are so many sights I’d love to see but top of my list is the Amalfi Coast and Rome. I was enrolled for a year abroad in Italy but it got cancelled due to COVID, so I’m hoping to go back to fulfil my Italian dreams - even if its just for a couple of weeks. 

I’d like to go Greek island hopping so I can visit different landscapes without the worry of crossing country boarders which may have different covid rules. Hopefully back to seeing the world one bit at a time next year!

I'd like to go to Spain because I feel that myself and my partner are well overdue a nice break away in the sun for a change, plus Spain is a friendly and lovely place

I’d like to take my boy to Paris disney land as we planned and saved money since beginning of the lockdown April 2020 and still worry about the travelling, really want to take him to somewhere where we can really relax and have some fun! 

Japan!

The culture has always fascinated me and I’m forever finding and searching for new Japanese cuisine and recipes to cook at home! Traditional Ramen is certainly a staple! It’s certainly on my bucket list to travel to Japan!

Userlevel 1

America booked for March a wee cheeky week in Boston 🇺🇲

Userlevel 2

Camping in France - sand, sea and croissants!

Userlevel 2

Spain, for our cancelled holiday from 2 years ago.

Userlevel 2

I want to go back to Crete because the food is great and the people are genuinely friendly. My favourite holiday destination.

Why iD Mobile?