Blog

iD Mobile's 2022 Holiday Checklist

iD Mobile's 2022 Holiday Checklist
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
  • iD Mobile Employee
  • 118 replies

Your Holiday Checklist

Planning a little holiday this year? After a long time in limbo, the easing of restrictions means many of us are rushing to book that little trip we’ve been set on ever since the start of the pandemic. But before you jet off, are you sure you have everything you’ll need?

Many big changes have happened since we were last freely able to travel to wherever takes our fancy. Among them are the UK’s covid restrictions, the restrictions and rules of the country you’re heading to, and the fact that UK passport holders no longer queue at passport control with EU passport holders. However, there are quite a few other things you’ll want to keep in mind before you put your out-of-office on and skip to the airport! Here they are…

Roam like at home:

Don’t worry about relying on dodgy café Wi-Fi or keeping your phone in airplane mode. iD Mobile still offer Inclusive Roaming in 50 destinations, and we have no plans to change our policy. That means you can use all the data, minutes and texts already included in your allowance, in any of these countries, at no extra cost.

Not only will your allowances come in handy when checking in with the news back home, but it also means you can use Google Maps or Citymapper to navigate like a native wherever you go! No oversized folding maps, no payphones and no add-ons needed…

Sidenote: don’t start your holiday off with the customary signal struggle. Instead, make sure you’ve got roaming turned on before you leave the UK. That way, your phone should be able to find and settle on a network with good signal the moment you land and take your phone out of airplane mode. Simply head to the iD Mobile app, tap on Services, then toggle Roaming to ‘on’. Now you’re ready to roam. And don’t forget iD Mobile have no current plans to alter or change the current roaming policy.

Make sure your passport is valid!

It may sound super basic, but it’s very easy to forget important things like when your passport expires, especially if you’re an infrequent traveller. Remember, you need at least six months remaining before your passport expiry date to be able to travel to other countries. If your passport’s set to expire within six months, you’ll need to get it renewed before you travel. You’ll need it to check in online and download your boarding pass anyway, so it’s good to be prepared!

And if you’re cutting it close to your holiday, it may be worth paying to get your passport renewed urgently. That way, you can be sure it’ll arrive before you’re set to go.

Need a visa?

Certain countries don’t require you to have a visa if you’re just going for a week’s break, or maybe even longer. If you’re holidaying to an EU destination, all you’ll need is your passport and all your COVID compliance stuff (we’ll get to that later) and you’re set. However, some countries, like the USA, require you to obtain a visa waiver to enter as a visitor.

Wherever you’re going, and however you plan to get there, it’s vital to check the entry requirements on gov.uk and leaving yourself plenty of time to make sure you’ve got everything in order. The last thing you want after a long-haul (or even short-haul) trip is to spend even longer at the security desk. The sooner everything’s sorted, the sooner you can get into relaxation mode.

COVID-19 Vaccine Pass, tests and exemptions

Here’s where things get a little complicated. Whatever country you’re visiting will have its own rules and restrictions around COVID-19. For instance, if you’re soaking up the sun in Spain, you’ll need proof of your vaccination status and you’ll need to complete a Health Control Form before you arrive. In France, you’ll need to present a negative COVID test result and a sworn declaration that you don’t have any symptoms. Even then, without proof of your vaccination status, you’ll need to isolate for 10 days upon arrival. If you’re not vaccinated, it may be a lot trickier finding a holiday destination  Be sure to check out foreign travel advice before you book your trip, so you’re already one step ahead.

And don’t forget, there are also further rules when the time comes to return to the UK. You’ll need to complete a Passenger Locator Form, and if you’re going on holiday before 11th February, the chances are that you’ll have to book a PCR or lateral flow test to be done once you return. You may also be required to do a fit-to-fly test before going to the airport, so check before you travel!

Top tip: Because of the ever-changing nature of the pandemic, particularly from country to country, these rules are subject to frequent and fast changes. Book your private tests nearer to your holiday to avoid any unnecessary expense.

Don’t forget insurance

According to the stats in 2020, 30% of British people didn’t book travel insurance when they booked their most recent trip. While travel insurance isn’t a legal necessity, when it comes to real peace of mind, we’d argue it’s an essential.

With a good travel insurance policy you’re protected against the things that could potentially spoil your holiday. We’re talking about lost suitcases upon arrival, misplaced money, flight cancellations, medical bills should you become ill when you’re away, or even accommodation cover if you test positive for COVID-19 while you’re away and need to isolate beyond your planned trip dates. All these things are easier to deal with when you’re backed by a great insurance policy. Plus, with good cover, you’re way more likely to embrace your adventurous side while you’re away!

Be sure to add insurance shopping to your holiday prep. Head to one of the many comparison websites out there and compare insurance policies on the level of cover, customer satisfaction, and how much excess you’ll need to pay should the worst happen.

Snap happy

You’ll want to take some snaps while you’re basking in the unique architecture, stunning scenery and wonderful weather. But if your camera’s no good, you probably won’t ever look back on the pictures you take, let alone share them. For photos you’ll want to share on your socials, and for memories that you’ll never want to lose, you’ll need a good camera.

Luckily, smartphone cameras are only getting better. So, you don’t need to dedicate a chunk of your hand luggage space to a bulky digital camera. If you’re not a pro photographer, it doesn’t matter. Most new phones have incredible AI that recognises the scene you’re tying to capture and automatically adjusts the settings for the best result. That’s the quickest way to shoot a winning photo when you’re away. However, if you like to delve a little deeper and express your photographic style, the pro settings are the way to go.

Worried your phone isn’t going to cut it when it comes down to looking back on that holiday album? Our latest iPhones and Android smartphones have you covered.

Disclaimer: All information presented in this article was correct at the date and time of writing.

There you have it. Those are the essentials that are worth remembering when the time comes to prepare for that holiday. Have we missed anything out? What things do you consider essential when you book a holiday? Let your fellow Community members know in the comments below!

Competition Time:

For a chance to win a £100 Currys gift card all you need to do is tell us where you want to holiday next and why? 

Good luck!

T&Cs apply. 

Congratulations to@danhanjon you have won a £100 Currys gift card. 

151 replies

Userlevel 1

A trip back to South Africa to visit my mum for the first time in 3 years! 

Porto! A beautiful city with access to the sea. Nothing too fancy but a lovely city break for me and my small family :)

Userlevel 1

I’d love my next holiday to be to North Wales to meet up with my family, all four generations at once. Covid rules, fear and anxiety, plus lack of funds have all conspired to stop it happening for the last two years. It would be lovely to break through those barriers and reconnect with loved ones again. xx

My next holiday would be Greece! My mum has been desperate to go for a long time, and with her 60th birthday coming up it would be great to make that happen!

Userlevel 1

Off to Tenerife this summer with the family. Sunshine, sea, cheap beer, what more could you want? 😅

Userlevel 1

I would love to go back to Turkey again as my last holiday was cancelled and I have a lot of friends that I have not been able to see because of the  Pandemic and I buy all my knitting wool from there helping their economy

Userlevel 1

I'd like to go back to our apartment in Spain

My next trip will be back to Tenerife. Sunshine, sandy beaches and great hotels - what’s not to like. Can’t wait.

I would love to go to the Maldives as there are many different halal options and very inclusive and fun!

Userlevel 1

We would love to go a a cruise around the med, as to one we had booked two years ago for our 30th wedding anniversary was cancelled due to covid.

Next holiday will be on the lovely Isle of Wight! Only thing is I live here already...staycation 🤣

Userlevel 1

Croatia!!! I'd love to go there it looks beautiful and full of history. 🛫✈️🛬

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Probably many people will choose that destination, I have seen it few times when I scanned through the pages of this topic but well... I want to go there as well. This place is Japan, what a surprise! 😁 The difference is I don't want to go to see the big cities and sky scrappers or weird vending machines. I want to go and visit small villages and experience culture and traditions of this places, starting of course with the rituals of brewing a tea which is much more than just throwing a tea bag into the mug. I want to see a real life modern Samurai and see and touch the history of Japan. Try local made Sake, again... Not just ordered from the shop but the whole ritual of serving it. I want to feel like I am visiting Japan in 17th century. Problem is that so far I only saved £300 towards that trip but I will get there by the time I will be 40 years old. 🙂

Userlevel 1

I would be happy with the beautiful lake district after these lockouts somewhere open and beautiful in the open air 

Userlevel 1

I prefer not to fly because of climate change. So it has to be wheeled transport or a boat. I’ve travelled all over the world, but not been to so many places in the UK. I’ve never been to Ireland. I know it’s the Emerald Isle because of all the rain, but I would love to go there. We Brits are used to rain! On the other hand I’ve also always wanted to go to the Scilly Isles to paint. Choices. Choices. I think it has to be the Scillies.

Userlevel 2

The only place I truly want to see is Seattle. Been a Seattle Seahawks fan for a while now, see the landscape and various tourists spots during game day tv etc, but to actually go, see the city, attend a live game. Would love to do it just once in my lifetime. 

Badge +10

a Hawaiian cruise… because it’s nostalgic, you see more in less time, plus it’s cheaper and easy to plan.

I have been invited to a wedding in Zurmatt Switzerland..... and would love to accept and be excited to visit somewhere... anywhere new.

Next holiday 🤔 I think I’d rather stay in the the uk but stay in a cabin or a shed even in the middle of no where so no phones no internet & no tv so I can enjoy the peace & quiet 

After all the trauma of the last couple of years anywhere would be good.  It need not be exotic or far away as long as it would be my wife and I going together

I want to go to Kansas in America to see my son, who I’ve not been able to see since he went to live in The States 6 years ago. I’ve not been able to meet his wife or my lovely grandson who is now 3 years old. I’m desperate to give and receive hugs!

I'd like to go to Australia as my daughter is obsessed with Koala's 

Hello,

I would really like to go to Rhodes Island for my next holiday. I would like this as we went there on a family holiday when I was a child and would like to take my family there nearly 40 years later. 

👍👌🤞🎉🎉

I would really like to travel to Andalusia, Spain. I would love to know more about the Moorish history of this region and to visit the Alhambra in Granada. Sun, Flamenco art and wonderful food...it would be a dream come true to travel to Seville, Cordoba and possibly sail over to Tangier.

I would love to go to Maldives or Polynesia or Seychelles 

Why iD Mobile?