Blog

New Year, New You

New Year, New You
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
  • iD Mobile Employee
  • 118 replies

It’s that time again where everyone starts to ask themselves big questions for the year ahead. How are you going to make this year a success? What new skills are you going to learn? How will you set time aside to focus on the things that really matter?

These are all questions we all ask ourselves, and the answers are as varied as we are. Of course, almost everyone has a set of resolutions they intend to stick to each year. It could be a bucket list trip that you’ve always dreamed of going on, getting that dream job, or even getting back in touch with old friends and making regular plans. But the one thing you’ll need to achieve all your resolutions is motivation. 
So this January, we thought we’d do something a little different. Instead of counting down the most popular resolutions, here’s some great resolution inspo that can be a springboard to even bigger and better things! 

Make 2022 your year with these goals…

Focus on your health

You know the saying: health is wealth. We’re not just talking about those January gym visits to burn off all the deliciously indulgent festive feasting; we mean feeling good in your body AND your mind.

Whatever your specific goals are for 2022, the drive and motivation to take the plunge and achieve them starts when you’re in a good place. Set some time aside each day to do something that clears your mind and helps relieve stress - whether that’s yoga, meditation, jogging in the park, or yes, lifting the stress away in the gym. 

The trick is to make your routine enjoyable. Find healthy recipes you love to cook and eat. Find activities that excite you instead of going autopilot on the treadmill. The first step is always the toughest, but once you’re into a routine, self-care is extremely rewarding. And it means you’re better placed to overcome any challenges on the road to your goals. Sound good? Head on over to our guide to a healthier you in 2022[link] to find out more!

Look after your finances

This is one that should be on everyone’s list every year! Improving your financial security doesn’t have to be a hassle-filled chore. There are plenty of easy things you can do to make sure you’re always on top of expenses, building savings, and setting money aside to do the things you’ve always wanted. You can even get help from your phone in the form of a few nifty money management apps.

Some banking apps can even round up every payment you make to the nearest pound, putting that extra cash in a special pot to fund whatever big plans you have in mind – a Hawaiian cruise, first home deposit, anything! Or, if you want it for something a little more functional, you can create a pot to pay off those monthly bills with every transaction. And of course, away from apps, setting out a budget in advance is great for getting a head start.

You don’t need to completely overhaul your lifestyle to make your money go further. Check out our guide for more money-saving inspiration!

Make plans to achieve your aspirations

Think about what you really want to do. A dream you’ve always had in the back of your mind but never quite got around to. What’s holding you back from making it a reality, and why? 2022 could be the year it finally happens…

You may have the kernel of an idea for a brilliant novel, the skills to fluently speak another language, learn a new instrument or become great at a new sport, who knows! Having a plan to make it happen just makes it that much more realistic. And you can break that big aspiration down into smaller goals and milestones along the road - those little ‘job well done’ moments are what make it sustainable.

If it’s the data you need to help you get closer to that goal, there are apps out there that can help you plan for almost any goal you have. Check out Strides on the App Store. It’s one of the best apps for setting goals, and you can track them in four different ways to suit you. Plus, you can even plot in those milestones to keep you feeling fully motivated.

Make time for family and friends

Between work life and home life, it can often feel like there just aren’t enough hours in the day to keep in touch with those closest to us as much as we should. But it’s the people closest to us that enrich our lives the most, more than work and more than evening Netflix binges (we’re all guilty). Take the time to check in with your friends and family. Call, video call, text, WhatsApp, FaceTime, or even go old school and pop over to say hi - just set some time aside and do it!

Make plans to do things together whether they’re in person or in the virtual world. Go out to eat, join a gym together, go see a show, or just watch that Netflix series together. Spend that time you’d otherwise spend on your own doing what you love with the people you love. 

Disconnect from your phone

We know, this is not the kind of resolution you’d expect to hear from us! We are, after all, a phone network. However, there are times when you simply want to disconnect from the world and get the most from the activity you’re doing, be it sleeping, writing an assignment, or watching that big season finale distraction-free. And we don’t just mean putting you’re your phone down, but taking a break from social media if you feel like you could do with some time away.

Both Android phones and iPhones have great digital wellbeing features to help you power down when you need to:
If you have an iPhone, set up Downtime to give you a break whenever you want to put down your phone for a little while. Just head to Settings > Screen Time > Tap Downtime. 
You can set a schedule to take a break at the same time each day, or even customise what days you want to set your phone aside and for how long.

With Android’s digital wellbeing settings, there are two options. You can block any distracting apps along with pings and notifications in Focus Mode. Or, if you want to improve the quality of your sleep, set Bedtime mode to silence your phone and change the screen to black and white at set times. Easy! Simply head to Settings > Digital Wellbeing to get started.

Those are a few of the foundational resolutions we’re using this year to keep us on our ‘new year, new me’ kick. What are your resolutions for 2022? How do you plan to stick to them throughout the year?

Competition Time:

To celebrate the the start of 2022, we’re giving you the chance to win a £100 Currys Gift Card!

To enter, just tell us what your new year's resolution is.

Maybe you want to eat healthier? Perhaps you want to get that new job or promotion? Whatever it is we want to know!

The competition ends at 23:59 on 21st January, and we'll announce the lucky iD Community winner shortly after.

T&C’s apply.

Good luck!

This topic has been closed for comments

186 replies

Userlevel 1

To grow more of my own food, I want to be able to grow at least 50% of it. Less plastic, less fuel for transport and more money for myself. Plus it is good for your mental health to grow vegetables. 

Simon

My New Years resolution is to learn sign language! 

Userlevel 1

My resolution is to learn German and travel to as many new destinations as possible!

Userlevel 3
Badge

Loose the COVID bulge

Userlevel 1

To get outdoors as much as possible and see as much as I can 

My new years resolution is to try and spend more time with my daughter. We've missed a lot of valuable time over the last two years that should have been spent taking outings and making memories. 

Userlevel 1

To stop spending money on things I don't actually need!

Userlevel 1

My New Year resolution is not to make a New Year resolution...Oh blast! Failed already!

Putting more money into savings. 

My New Year's Resolution is to focus more on helping others in need, and staying healthier. 

Userlevel 1

Gave up smoking .no aids to help from 40 a day .Still going strong .over the worst part of the cravings

Doing a half Marathon for charity and run it under 2.5 hours,

Hello ID!

I want to be healthier, I want to lose weight, stop smoking, feel comfortable in my own skin rather than feel paranoid and have a low self esteem, i want to be able to look in the mirror and be happy with who I am, it is partly why i bought Samsung S21, so i can keep track of my steps, weight and help loose the pounds!

Thanks for amazing deals you have and hope this year will be good as much as i'm hoping it will be good for me!

Jay

Userlevel 1

I want to get to my ideal weight and manage my finances better by taking more opportunities to save money.

My New Year's Resolution is to earn more money!

So a new job hopefully 😬

Userlevel 1

My new years resolution is to eat more healthy and be more active!

Userlevel 2

200 crunches a day….failing that, 2 crunchies a day.

Lower my golf handicap.

To try and save enough money for a head stone to place on my husband's ashes,  who died recently. 

To accept and enjoy my retirement and become a far more helpful husband to my hard working NHS wife by cooking and cleaning to save her. 

Have more fun time with family.

To make progress mentally, physically and spiritually. I'm constantly in competition with my past self to be better and do better. This entails getting comfortable being uncomfortable, within reason. 

Userlevel 1

My new years resolution would be ' living my life to the fullest and having no regrets'. I plan to achieve and fulfill my goals as life goes on as there is no certainty for tomorrow. No one knows when they themself or someone they love/know may pass away, therefore I want to make sure I give my 100% to myself and to others and live my life to the fullest! ❤️❤️

My resolution is to make more time to connect with friends, and focus on my relationships - even if that’s just a phone or video call! :) 

My new year's resolution is to try and be there more for my friends and family, with Covid and working from home etc our lives seem to have become more insular. I want to get back to connecting with friends and family, it's good for my mental health and everyone's to do the same. Have a great year.

Why iD Mobile?