Blog

New Year, New You

New Year, New You
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
  • iD Mobile Employee
  • 118 replies

It’s that time again where everyone starts to ask themselves big questions for the year ahead. How are you going to make this year a success? What new skills are you going to learn? How will you set time aside to focus on the things that really matter?

These are all questions we all ask ourselves, and the answers are as varied as we are. Of course, almost everyone has a set of resolutions they intend to stick to each year. It could be a bucket list trip that you’ve always dreamed of going on, getting that dream job, or even getting back in touch with old friends and making regular plans. But the one thing you’ll need to achieve all your resolutions is motivation. 
So this January, we thought we’d do something a little different. Instead of counting down the most popular resolutions, here’s some great resolution inspo that can be a springboard to even bigger and better things! 

Make 2022 your year with these goals…

Focus on your health

You know the saying: health is wealth. We’re not just talking about those January gym visits to burn off all the deliciously indulgent festive feasting; we mean feeling good in your body AND your mind.

Whatever your specific goals are for 2022, the drive and motivation to take the plunge and achieve them starts when you’re in a good place. Set some time aside each day to do something that clears your mind and helps relieve stress - whether that’s yoga, meditation, jogging in the park, or yes, lifting the stress away in the gym. 

The trick is to make your routine enjoyable. Find healthy recipes you love to cook and eat. Find activities that excite you instead of going autopilot on the treadmill. The first step is always the toughest, but once you’re into a routine, self-care is extremely rewarding. And it means you’re better placed to overcome any challenges on the road to your goals. Sound good? Head on over to our guide to a healthier you in 2022[link] to find out more!

Look after your finances

This is one that should be on everyone’s list every year! Improving your financial security doesn’t have to be a hassle-filled chore. There are plenty of easy things you can do to make sure you’re always on top of expenses, building savings, and setting money aside to do the things you’ve always wanted. You can even get help from your phone in the form of a few nifty money management apps.

Some banking apps can even round up every payment you make to the nearest pound, putting that extra cash in a special pot to fund whatever big plans you have in mind – a Hawaiian cruise, first home deposit, anything! Or, if you want it for something a little more functional, you can create a pot to pay off those monthly bills with every transaction. And of course, away from apps, setting out a budget in advance is great for getting a head start.

You don’t need to completely overhaul your lifestyle to make your money go further. Check out our guide for more money-saving inspiration!

Make plans to achieve your aspirations

Think about what you really want to do. A dream you’ve always had in the back of your mind but never quite got around to. What’s holding you back from making it a reality, and why? 2022 could be the year it finally happens…

You may have the kernel of an idea for a brilliant novel, the skills to fluently speak another language, learn a new instrument or become great at a new sport, who knows! Having a plan to make it happen just makes it that much more realistic. And you can break that big aspiration down into smaller goals and milestones along the road - those little ‘job well done’ moments are what make it sustainable.

If it’s the data you need to help you get closer to that goal, there are apps out there that can help you plan for almost any goal you have. Check out Strides on the App Store. It’s one of the best apps for setting goals, and you can track them in four different ways to suit you. Plus, you can even plot in those milestones to keep you feeling fully motivated.

Make time for family and friends

Between work life and home life, it can often feel like there just aren’t enough hours in the day to keep in touch with those closest to us as much as we should. But it’s the people closest to us that enrich our lives the most, more than work and more than evening Netflix binges (we’re all guilty). Take the time to check in with your friends and family. Call, video call, text, WhatsApp, FaceTime, or even go old school and pop over to say hi - just set some time aside and do it!

Make plans to do things together whether they’re in person or in the virtual world. Go out to eat, join a gym together, go see a show, or just watch that Netflix series together. Spend that time you’d otherwise spend on your own doing what you love with the people you love. 

Disconnect from your phone

We know, this is not the kind of resolution you’d expect to hear from us! We are, after all, a phone network. However, there are times when you simply want to disconnect from the world and get the most from the activity you’re doing, be it sleeping, writing an assignment, or watching that big season finale distraction-free. And we don’t just mean putting you’re your phone down, but taking a break from social media if you feel like you could do with some time away.

Both Android phones and iPhones have great digital wellbeing features to help you power down when you need to:
If you have an iPhone, set up Downtime to give you a break whenever you want to put down your phone for a little while. Just head to Settings > Screen Time > Tap Downtime. 
You can set a schedule to take a break at the same time each day, or even customise what days you want to set your phone aside and for how long.

With Android’s digital wellbeing settings, there are two options. You can block any distracting apps along with pings and notifications in Focus Mode. Or, if you want to improve the quality of your sleep, set Bedtime mode to silence your phone and change the screen to black and white at set times. Easy! Simply head to Settings > Digital Wellbeing to get started.

Those are a few of the foundational resolutions we’re using this year to keep us on our ‘new year, new me’ kick. What are your resolutions for 2022? How do you plan to stick to them throughout the year?

Competition Time:

To celebrate the the start of 2022, we’re giving you the chance to win a £100 Currys Gift Card!

To enter, just tell us what your new year's resolution is.

Maybe you want to eat healthier? Perhaps you want to get that new job or promotion? Whatever it is we want to know!

The competition ends at 23:59 on 21st January, and we'll announce the lucky iD Community winner shortly after.

T&C’s apply.

Good luck!

This topic has been closed for comments

186 replies

To finally rid myself of my bad habits!

Simple

I brew a very strong cup of black coffee and ring a couple of good friends us my IDMobile SIM

Userlevel 1

Live life as if each day us my last.  Stretch every morning, watch Headspace wake up story while I make coffee, meditate, walk ever day, call family and friends more often and stop and smell the roses 🌹 and try to do small kind acts of surprise anonymously to brighten people's day x

Love that you want to do it anonymously, for me that ahows you're doing it for tham and not for the recognition. 💜

Userlevel 1

Not so much a NY resolution, have been planning it for a few months.

Anyway, after a decade of abusing my body with alcohol, neglecting my creative talents, and finally getting out of a bad relationship.

I have decided to spend this year focussing on bettering myself in all those categories.

I've cut out alcohol except for gigs, parties and special occasions, even then I'll be keeping my consumption low.

I've started a creative writing course, and me and a friend are cooperating on a screen play project with the aim of having filmed a couple of short films this year.

I am taking up yoga, and beginning a jiu-jitsu journey both for discipline and health reasons.

Finally I am not focussing on chasing the opposite sex, if the opportunity presents itself I won't get in my own way, however I'm not actively pursuing anything either.

My New year's resolution is to save enough to be able to afford our own place for my family and our little baby

Userlevel 1

No resolution I always try my best to do my best.  I don't always succeed but I try nonetheless 

i will start smoking to stay away from anxiety

Userlevel 1

Try and become more organised - it’s always a struggle that constantly threatens to overwhelm me, but I just can’t seem to make routines stick

Userlevel 1

to get my number switched by idmobile 

To be a better me !! :)

My goal next year is to get a better job spend more time with my family and wake up every morning!!!

Why iD Mobile?