Plan Changes & Upgrades

• 23 September 2020
  • 24 replies
Plan Changes & Upgrades
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
  • iD Mobile Employee
  • 118 replies

Changing or upgrading your iD Mobile plan areĀ great ways to make sure you have the monthly allowances to suit your needs.

A plan change lets you choose a different monthly cost and set of allowances without changing your handset. You also have the ability to change your plan every 30-days.

Upgrading is a great opportunity for you to own one of the very latest smartphones without paying lots of money upfront, and you can also choose a different set of allowances if any of your needs have changed since the last time you chose an iD plan.

Ā 

Hereā€™s a list of the most frequently asked Plan Change and Upgrade questions:

Ā 

Can I upgrade from a SIM only to a Pay monthly handset plan?

You sure can. After 6-months of being on a SIM only plan with us, you can upgrade to a Pay monthly handset plan. There are a few things like your current monthly cost, payment history and initial credit check, that are considered when offering you options toĀ upgrade to.

Ā 

Can I change my plan if Iā€™m on a Pay monthly phone plan?

Yes. But if you're still within your minimum contract length, you won't be able to go for one that's cheaper ā€“ the reason for this is that you're still paying off your phone with part of your monthly bill.

And you'll be pleased to hear that changing your plan won't increase the minimum length of your contract.

Ā 

Can I change my plan to a lower price plan?

Yes, if you're on a SIM only plan, or have gone past the minimum contract length on a Pay monthly handset plan. You'll also have to meet all the usual eligibility criteria, of course. Then you can move up or down a plan as you wish.

If you're still within the minimum contract length of a Pay monthly handset plan, you won't be able to go for one that's cheaper. The reason for this is that you're still paying off your phone with part of your monthly bill.

Ā 

How do I change my plan?

To change your plan, log in to the iD Mobile App or My Account online, go to the 'My Account' page, 'Manage my plan' and select 'Change my plan'. You can then choose a new plan from the ones listed, and click 'confirm'. Ā Your plan, including your new monthly line rental and allowances will change within 30 minutes of your request.

Ā 

How do I find out if Iā€™m eligible to upgrade?

It's quick and easy to find out if you're eligible to upgrade with us. Simply log in to the iD Mobile App or My Account online, go to the Go to the 'Account' page. If you're eligible, you'll see a tile that says 'You can upgrade to a new handset!'. You can then select 'Upgrade now' to proceed with your upgrade.

If you can't see that tile, you still might be eligible to upgrade. To find out, scroll down to 'Manage my plan' and select 'Check if I can upgrade'.

Ā 

What new plan or phone can I upgrade to?

That depends on your current plan, payment history, and also what weā€™ve got available. If you're eligible to upgrade, you can browse through our current deals on the iD Mobile App or My Account online and going to the 'My Account' page. Click the tile that says 'You can upgrade to a new handset!', and select 'Upgrade nowā€™.

If you can't see that tile, you still might be eligible to upgrade. To find out, scroll down to 'Manage my plan' and select 'Check if I can upgrade'.

Ā 

You can find more FAQs about changing your plan or upgrading here. If you canā€™t find the answer to your question, simply ask the Community and a member will get back to you shortly.Ā 

Ā 

24 replies

Hi, Iā€™m trying to change my plans but the lower rate is not available, I have reached the end of my minimum contract on both numbers. please can someone help. I have tried going through the app but had no luck.

Thanks,

Liton

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @litonullah85,

Ā 

Have you tried adjusting the filters to display the SIM only plans? How long ago did the 24 monthsĀ expire?

Ā 

Will

Hi,

im looking to change my plan to something higher as Iā€™m spending money on add ons for more data and effectively it would be cheaper for me to just change my plan, it sounds a bit silly but would I have to pay for the current plan that I have with the phone plus this new one that I want to purchase as I donā€™t want to pay for 2 plans a month

thank you,

kelsey

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi @KelseyatkinsonĀ 

Ā 

We can certainly check to see if there is a more suitable plan for you. You would not need to pay for 2 individual plans.

Weā€™ll send you PM and go from there.Ā 

To view the message sent.Ā  Simply click on your profile icon in the top right, then go to your private messages.Ā 

Ā 

Thanks.Ā 

Ā 

Michelle

Ā 

I accessed an account app on Sunday and purchased an upgrade from sim only to contract including phone through the app. Now when I am trying to log on the app on the new phone it states "your iD plan ended more than 6 months ago, so your online account has now been closed".

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

HiĀ @LeilashingĀ 

Ā 

Have you had other iD Mobile contracts in the pasted ?

Please could you double check you are using the correct email address registered to your current contract?

Ā 

let us know how you get on.

Ā 

MichelleĀ 

Hi.Ā 

Ā 

As confirmed I used the app with the same details to purchase the upgrade from the sim only, prior to the sim only contract I did have a phone and sim contract.

Ā 

Think it's over a week now without being able to use the new phone.

Ā 

Regards

Userlevel 3

How to cancel your contract without a fine as I am paying way to much. ID MOBILE is a proper ripoff company. I feel like you are stealing from me every month. Ā£39.01 and I get 5GB data. Customer from other provider laughing at us because we trusted thieves like you. Shame on you.

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

HiĀ @Leilashing,

After havingĀ a plan in the past that has since been closed/cancelled, if you then purchase a new one then you will need to use a different email address for the username as the old one will no longer be in use. Can you try and register a new plan? If you still have issues, we will help you further.

@Olto, thatā€™s not good to hear. You will have signed up to this plan at the time of purchase and depending on the phone chosen, the price is adjusted. If you want to cancel you can do this here. You can also look at changing your plan through the app. If you never chose a phone during purchase, I would recommend setting a bill cap to ensure your bill remains under your control.

Ryan

I have upgraded my daughters sim card and I need to check if the payment change has gone through as my direct debit is still showing Ā£20 to be paid on 29/1/21 instead of the new tarif of Ā£15.

Also, when I upgraded and we received the new sim card I presumed we would get a new phone number but it stayed the same. She needs to change her number so how do I do that?

Thanks

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @CCrichlow,

When upgrading, the number will always stay the same.Ā If you need a new number you can request a number change from us however this comes with a Ā£25 charge or it is free if you need it changing for safety reasons and have a crime reference number for the incident. Let us know if you need this by contacting our Live Chat Team here; they can also help look into the bill for you.

Ryan

I need to communicate with someone about changing my plan. Ā I want to change it to the 24 month, 6gb of data plan for Ā£6 per month, but am not being offered this if I use the app to upgrade or change plan.

It is an advertised plan on the ID website, so canā€™t understand why, as an existing customer, I can not seem to access it now that my original contract is complete.

It looks as though it would actually be easier to cancel my contract and transfer my number to another network - which is crazy as i am otherwise happy with ID.

Please help me out!!! Ā Can someone PM me please?

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hello @SiNewtonĀ 

Ā 

I would recommend you contact our Sales/Upgrades Team to see if they can find a similar deal on an upgrade for you, the team can be reached on 0800 049 0250.

Ā 

MichelleĀ 

iD Mobile

Userlevel 1

Iā€™ve been on a Live Chat earlier and Iā€™m still a bit puzzled. I have been on a pay monthly SIM-only plan with iD mobile for some years, with 2.25gb data per month.Ā A few days ago, I changed plans online to a SIM-only plan with 5gb of data per month. This was reflected online and in the app within a few hours. So far, so good. I then received a confirmation email taking about ā€œcongratulations on your upgradeā€ and ā€œwhen you get your new SIMā€.Ā  Why do I need a new SIM? As far as I remember, I just changed plans mainly to get more data. Iā€™m nervous that Iā€™ll put a new SIM in my phone and lose service.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi @LesTheGnomeĀ 

It seems as if you have selected from one of the Upgrade tarifs on your iD Mobile App. We usually do send out a new sim card when upgrading. Not to worry, you can carry on using your current sim card and dispose of the new sim card once it arrives.

-Mohsin

Userlevel 1

Many thanks, Mohsin. It did seem illogical to change to a different SIM. :-)

Ā 

Userlevel 1

I bought a 30Gb sim-only plan at a Curry's in London on 23.6.23 and told the employeeĀ that I want to be able to change to a plan with increased data allowance if after a month or two it becomes necessary ie when I can see that I need more data. When I tried this after the 30 days that it states have to elapse first it was not possible. A message kept coming up "Sorry, there are no plans available". When I went onto the chat and into the store I was told "in our experience" I wouldn't be able to change plan before the first 6 months from purchase. I queried that as nowhere in the app or on the website nor in the T&C did I find that restriction. iD Mobile advised me to read the T&C but I didn't find this "rule" there either. iD Mobile now forces me to buy expensive add-ons and I truly feel taken for a ride. Where does it tell me of the 6 months minimum before eligibility for a plan change? As a side point, I asked explicitely to be able to change plan to a higher allowance if needed and within the 12 months contract which must have been ignored by the employee accidentally. I am beyond frustrated because I have now made a complaint and despite being told on the phone I will get a reply within 72h the text message I got says 7 days! I am a member of Which? where iD Mobile currently boast of being a recommended provider. I will write to them next about my experience.

Userlevel 1

BettinaS:Ā  I just looked on the iD Mobile help pages and found this article ā€œHow to change my planā€.Ā  It clearly states that you have to be with them for 30 days minimum (which you have), also that you canā€™t change again within 31 days ofĀ your last plan change (you havenā€™t changed plan so far). If youā€™re still within the minimum contract length of 12 months which it looks like you signed up for, then it seems to say that you can change to a more expensive plan without extending your contract length. It looks to me that you are allowed to doĀ what you want to do and that they are incorrect to say that you cannot!Ā  Iā€™d get on the online chat again and ask to ā€œspeakā€ to a supervisor if they wonā€™t let you change.Ā  Iā€™ve generally found the online chat to be a bit long-winded but Iā€™ve normallyĀ got what I want in the end - I personally prefer typing on my PC to ā€œchattingā€ via the app onĀ my phone.Ā  Good luck!

Userlevel 1

Thanks Les, the chat woman was useless. SheĀ kept insisting and the process - after eventually GETTING ON THERE was super slow. So did the manager - insist - and the complaints lady on the phone in the Curry's store, too, despite me telling them in the end I'll send them Which? (consumer support organisation) who usually get somewhere if you are a member. Just shouldn't be put in that position because it's demeaning to have to go through all those hoops. They've got 7 days then they can expect Which? to take their good rating away.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @BettinaS,

Sounds like Currys have miss-sold you here as @LesTheGnomeĀ  is correct.

If you are on a monthly contract, you can change plans freely but the limit being 31 days before another change.

It sounds like you are on a 12-month SIM only contract instead.

This is infact tied to a minimum term on a set plan.

You can speak to an agent to see if there are any plan change options, but unlikely.

The 6-months is also wrong.

This refers to upgrading to a new contract and is only applicable if you are on a monthly SIM only contract.

Mohammed

Ā 

Userlevel 1

Thanks Mohammed. Unfortunately noone is stepping in toĀ help me out here (I went to Curry's yesterday) so I'll write to Which? and let them sort it out. This may get published on their website but I've had enough tbh. You could be a hero and save iD Mobile/Curry that embarrassment. I've complained but won't wait.Ā 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @BettinaSĀ 

Ā 

My best recommendation in this case would be to get in touch with Currys further about this if you have mis-sold, if youā€™d like we can get in touch to clarify details about the account, let us know if youā€™d like this.

Ā 

Tom

Userlevel 1

Hi Tom,

yes, I would very much like thatĀ since I've been unsuccessful even when taking things up with them in person to manager level and raising a complaint. I explicitly said at time of purchase 23.6.23 that I want to see how I get on with 30Gb but be able to increase that ANY TIME "say, after a month or two" ifĀ I realise I need more data. Not after 6 months and not after 12!! I had done my research prior to choosing iD Mobile and knew what I wanted. The sales assistant was not very knowledgable and had to keep asking someone more experienced at least 3 times. They should be identifiable via the computer and I would recognise them both. And the manager I spoke with on Saturday.

The worst was that they put me, the customer, in thisĀ position of having to insist which equals for them being awkward and as if I had been lying, when instead they should have believed me andĀ  apart from that should ensure their systems are robust enough and staff well-trained enough to avoid such scenarios.Ā 

It's the Curry's on 145-149 Tottenham Court Road in London W1T 7NE.

Many thanks and kind regards. My email if neededĀ  is [REDACTED]

BettinaĀ 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @BettinaSĀ 

Ā 

Weā€™ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account, so we can discuss your issue further.Ā 

Ā 

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ā€˜Private Messagesā€™.Ā 

Ā 

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link:Ā https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overviewĀ Ā 

Ā 

Weā€™ll see you there.Ā 

Ā 

Tom

Why iD Mobile?