Blog

Train Your Brain with These Brilliant Apps – Competition

Train Your Brain with These Brilliant Apps – Competition
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
  • iD Mobile Employee
  • 118 replies

​It’s time to train your brain!

Whether you work 9-5 or study, or both, it can be tricky to get your mind into razor-sharp focus without the stimuli of your regular working space.

Giving your brain regular exercises is as great way to regain that focus and prepare yourself to handle anything that comes your way, whether it’s a problem that needs solving or several tasks that demand attention at the same time.

When you train your mind, you’re actually giving yourself the tools to complete tasks that you might have struggled with before, or even considered impossible. That’s why setting a little time aside each day for mental exercises can help you work, study, focus, and retain information more effectively.

Here are a few apps to help you on your brain training journey:

Lumosity

Free (Android, iOS)

Lumosity is one of the most well-known brain training apps around, and it’s no surprise. This app has something for everyone. Whether you want to improve your mental maths skills, add more words to your vocab, or improve your memory, Lumosity can help.

Every game is fun and engaging, and some are more stressful than others (Train of Thought, we’re looking at you). But the results are there to be seen. You’ll get insight into your brain speed, memory, attention and more, and you can even compare your stats to other Lumosity users.

And with Lumosity Premium (£59.99/year), you can unlock a whole lot more including a personalised training program that works for you, in-depth insights and useful tips on how to improve. Handy.

NeuroNation

Free (Android, iOS)

We love this app. The premise is simple – exercising the mind is as important as exercising the body.

There are over 30 great exercises for memory and concentration, and just 15 minutes a day is all that’s required to help improve your memory, thinking speed, focus, and even reduce stress.

Don’t just take our word for it though. A study was undertaken at the Department of General Psychology at Freie Universität Berlin, proving the app’s effectiveness. And it’s been awarded with the Google ‘Best Apps’ prize, too.

A premium subscription (£83.99/year) offers a comprehensive training program with full personalisation, but we recommend giving the free version a go first. It’s still ace.

Elevate

Free (Android, iOS)

Elevate is all about personalisation from the get-go. It offers personalised daily training sessions to suit you. Awarded ‘App of the Year’ for iPhones by Apple in 2014, this app puts your goals in mind before you even start. You can train to retain more of what you read, articulate your thoughts more clearly, process information faster, the list goes on.

You’ll need to take a quick test so the app can see your current level for each skill. Once that’s completed, the app will adjust the difficulty of each training game. It’s not just for your phone, either. You can track your performance progress on your Apple Watch, just like your physical fitness stats.

A premium subscription costs £37.99 a year, with a 7-day trial to begin. 

​​​​​​Competition Time:

We’re giving a £100 Currys PC World voucher to one lucky member from our brilliant Community - treat yourself to some top tech, on us!

For your chance to win, answer the question below:

‘What do you do to keep your mind in focus?’

Do you play games to improve cognitive ability and memory, use apps, or even go back to your classic Nintendo DS for some Brain Training nostalgia? Let us know.

Best of luck!

May’s Competition T&C’s

This topic has been closed for comments

99 replies

Userlevel 1

Have a bit of quiet time in the mornings before starting anything.  Occasionally play some Sudoku to exercise the grey cells.

Some dailymeditation keeps the mind in focus. Really enjoying chess though - great for developing strategic thinking, recognising patterns, and trying to anticipate move orders against you. 

I still use my old ds brain training , and help my girls with maths homework and learn a few things i didnt learn and some i forgot.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I play with my dog and teach her new tricks. It requires from me a lot of patience, focus and repetition. I think we both take a lot good brain time from these interactions.

Riding bikes helps to calm the mind

Userlevel 2

I use apps such as Duolingo that I can learn something from, as well as listening to Audible while running, which makes for an oddly meditative experience!

Userlevel 1

I do at least 3 pub quizzes a week over YouTube and do many other online quizzes on websites like Jetpunkand Sporcle

Books and computer games. Fiction or non fiction, it's all good to help learn and practice of learning. Computer games with either complex mechanics or sharp reactions helps keep my brain sharp. 

Words with Friends, Wordscapes, writing, designing, playing music, physical exercise and mediation.

Userlevel 3

Daily crosswords and sudoku, reading and plenty of exercise

Userlevel 1

Deadly killer sudokus for me.

Candy crush … It’s addictive… not too taxing on the brain but I’m sure it helps ! 😂 

Use a lot of the apps recommended by school for the children primary to secondary, they are interactive and fun. Found I use less apps for myself, especially with not having much quiet time

Userlevel 1

I still use my old pink Nintendo ds to play brain training games and I love to solve sudoku puzzles but most of all I love learning languages , it really engages the brain and there’s so many ways to do it , from watching foreign subtitled shows to sitting down with a foreign book and translating it line by line . It’s a productive way to have some fun!

Start the day after breakfast with couple of items from Times app. First comes the Polygon, aim to get to ‘very good’ each day and sometimes complete it. Then onto the Concise Crossword, very disappointed if fail to complete it in under 15 mins.

During the day if I have time I play few games of solitaire and also use the Classic Words app. 

Userlevel 1

I like to do crosswords when I buy magazines. I love reading real life stories then trying some of the crosswords. I also have children so there homework also exercises my brain

Userlevel 1

I tried this app Lumosity and was actually really good. Scrabble is great!

​It’s time to train your brain!

Whether you work 9-5 or study, or both, it can be tricky to get your mind into razor-sharp focus without the stimuli of your regular working space.

Giving your brain regular exercises is as great way to regain that focus and prepare yourself to handle anything that comes your way, whether it’s a problem that needs solving or several tasks that demand attention at the same time.

When you train your mind, you’re actually giving yourself the tools to complete tasks that you might have struggled with before, or even considered impossible. That’s why setting a little time aside each day for mental exercises can help you work, study, focus, and retain information more effectively.

Here are a few apps to help you on your brain training journey:

Lumosity

Free (Android, iOS)

Lumosity is one of the most well-known brain training apps around, and it’s no surprise. This app has something for everyone. Whether you want to improve your mental maths skills, add more words to your vocab, or improve your memory, Lumosity can help.

Every game is fun and engaging, and some are more stressful than others (Train of Thought, we’re looking at you). But the results are there to be seen. You’ll get insight into your brain speed, memory, attention and more, and you can even compare your stats to other Lumosity users.

And with Lumosity Premium (£59.99/year), you can unlock a whole lot more including a personalised training program that works for you, in-depth insights and useful tips on how to improve. Handy.

NeuroNation

Free (Android, iOS)

We love this app. The premise is simple – exercising the mind is as important as exercising the body.

There are over 30 great exercises for memory and concentration, and just 15 minutes a day is all that’s required to help improve your memory, thinking speed, focus, and even reduce stress.

Don’t just take our word for it though. A study was undertaken at the Department of General Psychology at Freie Universität Berlin, proving the app’s effectiveness. And it’s been awarded with the Google ‘Best Apps’ prize, too.

A premium subscription (£83.99/year) offers a comprehensive training program with full personalisation, but we recommend giving the free version a go first. It’s still ace.

Elevate

Free (Android, iOS)

Elevate is all about personalisation from the get-go. It offers personalised daily training sessions to suit you. Awarded ‘App of the Year’ for iPhones by Apple in 2014, this app puts your goals in mind before you even start. You can train to retain more of what you read, articulate your thoughts more clearly, process information faster, the list goes on.

You’ll need to take a quick test so the app can see your current level for each skill. Once that’s completed, the app will adjust the difficulty of each training game. It’s not just for your phone, either. You can track your performance progress on your Apple Watch, just like your physical fitness stats.

A premium subscription costs £37.99 a year, with a 7-day trial to begin. 

​​​​​​Competition Time:

We’re giving a £100 Currys PC World voucher to one lucky member from our brilliant Community - treat yourself to some top tech, on us!

For your chance to win, answer the question below:

‘What do you do to keep your mind in focus?’

Do you play games to improve cognitive ability and memory, use apps, or even go back to your classic Nintendo DS for some Brain Training nostalgia? Let us know.

Best of luck!

May’s Competition T&C’s

I start the day with 2 min cold shower and black coffee 

i read a lot which improves my vocabulary and keeps my mind active. I play and learn music and singing several times a week which is great for physical and merntal health

Userlevel 1

I sit and concentrate on logic puzzles. I have a book of them really enjoy the challenge and keeps me amused.  

I start the day with a 2 min cold shower and black coffee 

Apart from playing puzzle games and listening to relaxing music, I also like to meditate with Headspace, such a great app that makes it really easy for anyone to get started   :)

I do love a good crossword, but my newest brain flex is learning a new language!

I have been using the app 'Duolingo' - it is an amazing app, appropriate for all ages; bite size absorbable learning!

Meditation and time without electronic devices is important. I recommend a minimum of two and a half hours before going to sleep to come away from all devices. Set your alarm clock and put your phone on aeroplane mode. Also put your phone across the room from you to guarantee you don't check notifications or tiktok etc. In the evening let your mind float away from any stresses, triggering situations that's happened throughout the day. Put on your favourite music on that relaxes you and think of things that are pleasant and happy. Try and come up with a routine that works for you. I personally have a weighted blanket which helps me sleep, essential oils like lavender, grapefruit etc can also relax you. Reading an amazing book will relax a restless mind that's worried. Certain apps like colouring, drawing and puzzles help you unwind and satisfy the part of the brain that needs to be creative. I enjoy an app called " I love hue" take a look if you enjoy looking at beautiful colours and matching different shades. This app starts off very easy but gets increasingly difficult as you go up the levels. I also recommend people looking at herbal remedies for insomnia. Take care, look after yourself. 

Playing board games with friends online or in person, practising musical instruments and trying to learn a new language are all fun and useful! 

Why iD Mobile?