Blog

What is Wi-Fi Calling and why should you use it?

• 19 November 2018
  • 14 replies
What is Wi-Fi Calling and why should you use it?
Userlevel 8
Badge

Wi-Fi Calling is available for selected handsets, and it lets you use Wi-Fi to make calls and send texts when coverage isn’t great. If you’re in a remote location or hit an indoor blackspot, it’s really handy.

Need to make a call or send a text on your mobile? With iD Mobile, you’ll get a good reception almost anywhere you go in the UK. Our award-winning coverage is something we’re pretty proud of.

As well as 4G service rated the UK's most reliable in 2015, iD Mobile customers also get fast 3G coverage. The latter covers 98% of the population.” uSwitch.com, April 2018

847d4950-d85e-451e-ac02-3bf6ecb50cff.jpg

No network can guarantee you a strong signal absolutely everywhere though - especially in remote rural locations and deep inside buildings. So, if you’re in the basement of your favourite coffee shop, or visiting relatives out in the sticks over the festive period, your signal might not be too great. That’s where Wi-Fi Calling comes in. It lets you make crystal clear calls and send texts over Wi-Fi, even in those places where coverage is lacking. Here’s all you need to know to get it up and running.

What is Wi-Fi Calling?

Quite simply, Wi-Fi Calling lets you make calls and send texts over Wi-Fi, even if you don’t have any mobile reception. It’s a handy service on the iD Mobile network, and you can use it if you’ve got a compatible handset. Which leads nicely on to the next question…

Is my handset compatible with Wi-Fi Calling?

Visit the Wi-Fi Calling & 4G Calling to find out. 

How do I set up Wi-Fi Calling?

Okay, so your handset is listed above – result! To use Wi-Fi Calling you just need to 1. Connect to Wi-Fi, 2. Make sure your software is up to date, 3. Switch on Wi-Fi Calling in your settings. We ‘ve got more detail on each of these three things below:

1. Connecting to Wi-Fi.
Wi-Fi calling will work when you’re unable to connect to 3G or 4G and have a Wi-Fi speed of at least 2MB. Most current Wi-Fi packages offer speeds between 8MB and 200MB. To check yours, just head over to Google, type in ‘internet speed test’, and take the test.

2. Updating your software.
You now need to update your phone's software, if it’s not bang up to date already. If you’re an iPhone user, you’ll need to install the latest software and accept the latest carrier settings.

3. Switching on Wi-Fi Calling.
If you’ve got a compatible iPhone, you can switch on Wi-Fi Calling in Settings > Phone > Wi-Fi Calling.
If you’ve got an Android phone, the exact method for switching Wi-Fi Calling on varies by manufacturer. It could be something as simple as Settings > More> Wi-Fi Calling, but here’s how it’s done on some Huawei or Samsung handsets:

• Click on the ‘phone’ icon like you’re about to make a call.
• Tap the three vertical dots (top right hand corner on Samsung, bottom right hand corner on Huawei) and select ‘Settings’.
• Scroll down to Wi-Fi Calling and toggle on.

Done all that? Good. Your Wi-Fi Calling is now set up, and it’ll automatically kick in next time you need it. And don’t forget, it works for text messages too.

Does Wi-Fi Calling cost anything?

When you use Wi-Fi Calling, nothing changes in the way you’re billed for calls and texts. You use your monthly allowance of minutes or texts, and if you haven't got any allowances left, you'll be charged at our usual out-of-plan rates.

You'll also be charged at our out-of-plan rates if you make a call that's not covered by your monthly allowance of minutes. These include international calls, or premium calls like chat lines and TV competitions.

To find out more about Wi-Fi Calling, check out our webpage here. Or ask a question below, and someone in the iD Community can have a crack at answering it.

14 replies

Userlevel 4
Wi-Fi calling saved me when I was on holiday keeping up with some important family news. I had no signal whatsoever, but I had Wi-Fi! Yay!

Rebecca
ID mobile supports Samsung A6 (2018) for wifi and 4G calling, BUT, why not Samsung A6 Plus (2018)? i turned on both in my phone, but not working....

Samsung Galaxy A6 and A6+ plus

🕵🏽
Userlevel 1
Wi-Fi Calling is available for selected handsets, and it lets you use Wi-Fi to make calls and send texts when coverage isn’t great. If you’re in a remote location or hit an indoor blackspot, it’s really handy.

Need to make a call or send a text on your mobile? With iD Mobile, you’ll get a good reception almost anywhere you go in the UK. Our award-winning coverage is something we’re pretty proud of.

As well as 4G service rated the UK's most reliable in 2015, iD Mobile customers also get fast 3G coverage. The latter covers 98% of the population.” uSwitch.com, April 2018

No network can guarantee you a strong signal absolutely everywhere though - especially in remote rural locations and deep inside buildings. So, if you’re in the basement of your favourite coffee shop, or visiting relatives out in the sticks over the festive period, your signal might not be too great. That’s where Wi-Fi Calling comes in. It lets you make crystal clear calls and send texts over Wi-Fi, even in those places where coverage is lacking. Here’s all you need to know to get it up and running.

What is Wi-Fi Calling?

Quite simply, Wi-Fi Calling lets you make calls and send texts over Wi-Fi, even if you don’t have any mobile reception. It’s a handy service on the iD Mobile network, and you can use it if you’ve got a compatible handset. Which leads nicely on to the next question…

Is my handset compatible with Wi-Fi Calling?

If your handset’s listed below, then the answer to this question is a big fat yes.

Apple
• iPhone 5s
• iPhone SE
• iPhone 6
• iPhone 6 Plus
• iPhone 6s
• iPhone 6s Plus
• iPhone 7
• iPhone 7 Plus
• iPhone 8
• iPhone 8 Plus
• iPhone X
• iPhone XR
• iPhone XS
• iPhone XS Max

Android
• Huawei Mate 10 Pro
• Huawei P Smart
• Huawei P20
• Huawei P20 Plus
• Huawei P20 Lite
• Huawei Mate 20 Pro
• Huawei Mate 20 Lite
• Huawei Y7 (2018)
• Honor Play
• Honor View 10
• Honor 9 Lite
• Honor 10
• Samsung A3 (2017)
• Samsung A5 (2017)
• Samsung A6 (2018)
• Samsung A7 (2018)
• Samsung A9 (2018)
• Samsung J6 (2018)
• Samsung J6 Plus
• Samsung Galaxy J4 (2018)
• Samsung S7 Edge
• Samsung Note 8
• Samsung Galaxy Note 9
• Samsung S8
• Samsung S8+
• Samsung S9
• SamsungS9+
• Sony XZ3

How do I set up Wi-Fi Calling?

Okay, so your handset is listed above – result! To use Wi-Fi Calling you just need to 1. Connect to Wi-Fi, 2. Make sure your software is up to date, 3. Switch on Wi-Fi Calling in your settings. We ‘ve got more detail on each of these three things below:

1. Connecting to Wi-Fi.
Wi-Fi calling will work when you’re unable to connect to 3G or 4G and have a Wi-Fi speed of at least 2MB. Most current Wi-Fi packages offer speeds between 8MB and 200MB. To check yours, just head over to Google, type in ‘internet speed test’, and take the test.

2. Updating your software.
You now need to update your phone's software, if it’s not bang up to date already. If you’re an iPhone user, you’ll need to install the latest software and accept the latest carrier settings.

3. Switching on Wi-Fi Calling.
If you’ve got a compatible iPhone, you can switch on Wi-Fi Calling in Settings > Phone > Wi-Fi Calling.
If you’ve got an Android phone, the exact method for switching Wi-Fi Calling on varies by manufacturer. It could be something as simple as Settings > More> Wi-Fi Calling, but here’s how it’s done on some Huawei or Samsung handsets:

• Click on the ‘phone’ icon like you’re about to make a call.
• Tap the three vertical dots (top right hand corner on Samsung, bottom right hand corner on Huawei) and select ‘Settings’.
• Scroll down to Wi-Fi Calling and toggle on.

Done all that? Good. Your Wi-Fi Calling is now set up, and it’ll automatically kick in next time you need it. And don’t forget, it works for text messages too.

Does Wi-Fi Calling cost anything?

When you use Wi-Fi Calling, nothing changes in the way you’re billed for calls and texts. You use your monthly allowance of minutes or texts, and if you haven't got any allowances left, you'll be charged at our usual out-of-plan rates.

You'll also be charged at our out-of-plan rates if you make a call that's not covered by your monthly allowance of minutes. These include international calls, or premium calls like chat lines and TV competitions.

To find out more about Wi-Fi Calling, check out our webpage here. Or ask a question below, and someone in the iD Community can have a crack at answering it.

I live in an area with notoriously bad mobile signal, so Wi-Fi calling is useful as I can call and receive calls and texts without worrying about standing in the corner of my upstairs bedroom to get a signal 😀
Userlevel 1
ID mobile supports Samsung A6 (2018) for wifi and 4G calling, BUT, why not Samsung A6 Plus (2018)? i turned on both in my phone, but not working....

Samsung Galaxy A6 and A6+ plus
🕵🏽

Hi @Zeeshan

Best thing to do is give ID a call on 7777 from your handset and see if it's activated for you. Just because a handset is supported, it doesnt necessarily mean it's automatically provisioned for your handset/number. Give them a buzz and they can check for you and make sure you have all the right options selected
Userlevel 2
I wish you had written this blog earlier. I am £10 worse off as a result.
Userlevel 1
How do I get the Wifi calling function on my phone? I have a Samsung S7, but there is no Wifi Calling settings on my phone app. I checked my software updates but there are also no new updates. Tried calling 7777 for help, but got passed around a few times they dont really know what wifi calling is.
Userlevel 3
@martinyhm There should be an option in your settings called 'More Connection Settings' which will show you the option to select Wi-Fi Calling. Then you just gotta turn the Wi-Fi Switch to on, and select Wi-Fi preferred or Never Use Cellular Network (depending on which one you'd rather use) and that should fix it for you. I confused myself over it on my mum's S7 Edge and had to Google it!

Nikita
Are there any plans to add the Google Pixel phones? My signal isn't good and my current phone is too old - I'm looking to upgrade and like the look of the Pixel 3 XL but it seems strange that you sell this model but don't support it for Wifi or 4G calling.
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Hey @NickX,

Not every model we sell has WiFi Calling compatibility. We're constantly expanding the lists. I'll ask the question, though I've not had any info on this.

If I do hear back anything, I'll let you know here, otherwise it'll probably be a not at this moment in time.

Mohammed
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Hey @NickX,

Not every model we sell has WiFi Calling compatibility. We're constantly expanding the lists. I'll ask the question, though I've not had any info on this.

If I do hear back anything, I'll let you know here, otherwise it'll probably be a not at this moment in time.

Mohammed

Hey @NickX,

Sadly no plans at this moment in time for WiFi Calling on the Pixel 3, 3Xl, 3A or 3A XL range.

Sorry about that.

Hoping this helps your upgrade decision.

Mohammed
Userlevel 1
We have S7 and S7 Edge, both network unlocked. Neither has the option of wifi calling within the more connection settings page. iD mobile signal is pretty poor wherever we've been in Sussex, so can't really see us staying customers for more than a month. Currently paying for a service we can't get.☹️

I have the Motorola One (running the latest software) which is listed as a compatible device on the Wi-fi Calling webpage.

There is not an option for wi-fi calling within the settings on the device.

Userlevel 1

I have charges for calls to an Austrian phone.. but this phone was switched off and calls were not answered.. why the charge.?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @tedwright,

It sounds like you have been charged for roaming.

Does your bill show what the charge is for call,text or data?

Kash

Why iD Mobile?