Blog

What’s new in the world of tech? - August 2021

What’s new in the world of tech? - August 2021
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
  • iD Mobile Employee
  • 118 replies

AI, space tourism and cutting-edge consumer tech – it’s all happening in 2021…

With much of the daily news focused on the covid-19 pandemic and the global response, you’d be forgiven for missing out on all the exciting developments that are happening right now in the world of technology. And there are quite a few.

In some cases, the global pandemic and varying stages of lockdown have meant that technological advancements have sped up rapidly. Businesses and institutions that were previously set in their ways are now a hive of digital collaboration and automation. Schools, offices and shops have adapted to a changing world with the help of amazing tech, and artificial intelligence is getting even smarter. The present is looking ever more futuristic!

Even the world of consumer tech is unrecognisable compared to just a few years ago. So, what’s new?

Amazon and Virgin CEOs Blast Off Into Space:

We’ll start big. Space tourism has been a long-held dream for many, and it looks like we’ve moved a little closer to it becoming a reality! In July, Virgin founder Richard Branson and Amazon chief Jeff Bezos made history by joining only a handful of non-astronauts to have taken a trip above the atmosphere. Branson’s Virgin Galactic project has been developed over the past 17 years, while Bezos’ Blue Origin was founded way back in 2000.

Both space flights launched from the US within days of each other, with Bezos’ flight taking just 11 minutes between launch and landing, and Branson’s around 90 minutes. While we’re still in the very early days of commercial space flight, what we do know is that both Virgin Galactic and Blue Origin travel 66 miles above the surface of the earth, and are expected to charge between $200,000 and $250,000 for the once-in-a-lifetime trip. So start saving now!

Apple’s Self-driving Car:

We may not be there just yet, but automated vehicles will likely transform how we get from A to B forever. And Apple are set to be at the heart of it.

It’s no secret that the guys behind the iPhone, iPod and MacBook have been developing the idea. They first started exploring the concept in 2014, hiring over 1000 car experts and engineers to design an electric car. In December last year, it was confirmed Apple are still very much working on it, and aim to release a vehicle in three to six years’ time.

What we do know is that Apple will work with a manufacturing partner to produce the cars. The plan is to make a car that allows the ‘driver’ to enter their destination and get there with barely any engagement. They’re also developing a new battery for the car that uses less space and has a much greater range. We can’t wait to see what they come up with.

Cloud-based Gaming:

If you’re a gamer, you probably miss that feeling of being able to buy a game and dive straight in without the lengthy install process. Some games these days can take as much as half a day to install! There is a solution though, and it’s online.

Cloud gaming means that once again, you can play right away. Instead of installing the game directly to your console or PC and using up tons of storage, games are run on a remote server and then streamed to your device as a video. And as connectivity improves, cloud gaming will get better. Faster internet will mean better games, better graphics and faster response times. What’s not to love?

It’s been around for a little while, with the likes of Xbox Game Pass, PlayStation Now and Google Stadia developing the concept. But it’s growing. Fast. In 2020, almost as many people signed up to a cloud gaming service as they did to Netflix. And speaking of Netflix, we’re hearing news that they’re looking to get into the cloud gaming realm too. Watch this space.

What about mobile phones?

Cheaper 5G Phones:

We’re still very much in the early days of 5G connectivity, but it’s amazing to see it already setting new standards.  It means faster downloads, faster loading times, consistent signal in high traffic areas. Even away from phones, 5G is changing the way we work, play and interact.

Now, no matter what your budget, you can treat yourself to 5G speeds. We’ve seen phones like the OPPO A54 and Samsung Galaxy A22 offer extreme speed and connectivity at a very affordable price, and we expect phones to double down on that trend. Soon, we’ll all be making HD calls, downloading 4K movies in seconds and gaming like pros on the go. The future is 5G!

Higher Refresh Rates:

We’ve mentioned refresh rates before – it means how frequently your phone screen flashes every second. The more frequent, the smoother everything looks. While most smartphones from just two years ago supported a refresh rate of around 60hz, now, we’re seeing screens that go up to 90hz, 120hz and even beyond.

Phones like the Samsung S21 range and Sony Xperia 5 can adjust all the way to a super smooth 120hz, and it’s looking like that feature is starting to arrive on more budget friendly phones, too. Mobile gaming is about to level up.

LiDAR Sensors:

The iPhone 12 Pro turned heads when it was announced, and that’s because it had one thing that no other smartphone has ever had before – a LiDAR sensor. What this does is shine beams of infrared light that bounce off of surfaces to create a 3D map. In fact, it’s the tech that’s being used to develop the self-driving car, but it also works a treat with smartphone cameras.

By creating a 3D map of the scene you’re shooting, your phone works out where objects are in relation to each other to create a much more realistic photo. While it’s currently only available on the iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max, we expect to see Android phones using this technology in the not too distant future. Your camera roll never looked so good.

Competition Time:

We’ve shared what we think are the biggest tech developments over the past few months, and now we want to hear from you!

What technological advancements or pieces of tech have you seen, heard about or purchased that’s got you excited? Let us know below for a chance to win the incredible OPPO Find X3 NEO.

Standard competition T&Cs apply.

Competition closes 21st September 2021. 

Best of luck!

Winner Announcement:

As always a huge thank you to everyone who took part in this awesome competition celebrating the introduction of a new topic on the Community. We cannot wait to continue sharing the latest advancements in mobile and tech and discover what you are all interested in and have your eyes on!

Now! enough about that. Back to the competition!

Please join me in congratulating @Prologica ! You are the winner of a brand new Oppo Find X3 Neo!

Who will win our next competition? Only time will tell, check out our 50K members article on the homepage to enter our new competition. 

Thanks for entering :D

99 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

What technological advancements or pieces of tech have you seen, heard about or purchased that’s got you excited?

Phones have been fairly boring the past few years (IMO) with the majority of manufactures focusing mainly on the Camera(s), Screen and/or on making them as thin as can be. However, I think the folding screen is the most technologically advancement seen on any phone in a very long time! 👍

Userlevel 2

Competition Time:

We’ve shared what we think are the biggest tech developments over the past few months, and now we want to hear from you!

What technological advancements or pieces of tech have you seen, heard about or purchased that’s got you excited? Let us know below for a chance to win the incredible OPPO Find X3 NEO.

I have got right on the bandwagon for cloud gaming.  Recently purchased Gamesir X2 new for cloud gaming on the go. Personally I absolutely love it. So many different controllers coming out to increase cloud gaming possibilities, but this one stands out - specially with phones gradually increasing in size again now. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

@WelshPaul I agree, it is such a cool advancement. I still believe the future of mobiles, possibly in the 2050’s will be a simple piece of metal that you pull up and the screen will be a hologram/projection. Ha. Maybe a bit too soon for that, but I definitely think these heavy phones will disappear in decades to come. 

Userlevel 1

Competition Time:

Standard competition T&Cs apply.

Competition closes 14th September 2021. 

Best of luck!

I cannot wait for the Samsung galaxy watch 4 to come out, seems like its better than all its predecessors, am hoping to buy it and the new Galaxy Z fold phone is really cool I can’t believe we’re back in the time with flip phones. Lol. :D

Userlevel 1

The Asus Zenbrook Pro Duo has been a great buy for me. It runs Windows 11 like a dream. Dual screens when you get them setup right can make like so much simpler. I love the switch button that moves content from screen to screen. 

Userlevel 1

What technological advancements or pieces of tech have you seen, heard about or purchased that’s got you excited?

Sounds a bit simplistic but I’ve just purchased an iPhone 12 after having had my current smartphone for about 5 years. It’s mad to think how much technology has improved in such a short period of time

Userlevel 1

To step away from the mobile/tablet theme, the thing that's exciting me at the minute is IoT in Automotive. Fully connected cars. The use of data science and machine learning for better and safer roads, easier parking, and better parts maintenance. Stuff like cloud-integrated platforms that — along with direct access to audio apps, navigation and Amazon Alexa — add to the display personal environment controls for climate adjustment and seat heating. Apps that connect drivers with private garages through spot seekers, which reduce time to find parking, which in turn reduces emissions. IoT sensors in CCTV cameras and along highways and bridges constantly collect data to help alleviate traffic burdens and predict likely congestion points before they materialise. Its all really exciting 

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

@Essmack90 Wow, you really did you research and know your stuff there! They all sounds like brilliant advancements and improvements that will sure benefit everyone. For me, my favourite one of the ones you have listed is improving traffic, I feel like it’s getting worse and worse lol. Plus lowering emissions is always a good thing. 

Emil

Userlevel 1

Took 7 days for my phone to arrive 🤣🤣🤣 can't even get the dates to port my existing number over from E.E, suppose to take 1-2 days as stated on your sight, 4 days later still stuck with a random number. 

Userlevel 2

I'm quiet excited by the prospect of weed zapping robots.... I could definitely do with one for the garden. 😁

Userlevel 1

I’d really like a phone that is easy to use to make phone calls!

I have a much better camera for taking pictures.

I have  a much better laptop with a keyboard for sending messages.

I expect cost of high end mobiles to drop over the next few years.

iD may also increase the number of mobile phones it allows access on its 5g network !!!

I think the electric car industry and more importantly it's charging network has to develop.   Cost is prohibitive at present.  Also range anxiety, charge locations, cost and quantity needs to be addressed

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Who changed the closing date? 😲

Original date:

Competition closes 21st August 2021. 

New date:

Competition closes 14th September 2021. 

I came back to see if I had won! 🥲😂

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

I’m not sure @WelshPaul.

Any ideas @Emil ?

Will

Userlevel 1

Technology that changes how we behave in work, play and think.  I think electric vehicles will do that by making us think carefully about travelling and how often we travel short distances.  Electric and PHEV batteries have changed significantly and yes, the charging network needs to improve but considering most car journeys are less than 30 miles,  Plus most of the time of day, cars are sitting empty parked on driveways or kerbs about average 23 hours per day.  Hiring vehicles or using only when needed may be the way in the future?

Userlevel 1

I think folding screens is the most recent thing that got me excited. I found new phones to be getting dull over recent years, with no massive jumps in innovation, just thinner/quicker/better cameras. When the Z flip was announced I was actually amazed, and when I ordered one it was the most excited id been for a phone in years. 

Userlevel 1

with more advancement in mobile phone chipsets, laptops and desktops will be outdated in next 10 years time. You can do everything on a mobile phone right from working on excel, 3D softwares, video editing, arts and design etc. Mobile phone local storage will be outdated as cloud storage will be way of future as it will be free. At present, cloud storage has to be paid for but in future the cloud storage warehouses will be on the moon, so only cost is to install them and power them on solar- free land, no need to man the warehouse. We can even harness other nearby planet to store our digital data.

Userlevel 1

I saw a transformer that transform on its on, I would my mobile to transform Into a little robot. Aslo the fact you can play console games such as xbox that's something I am interested in, I'm due an upgrade next month so looking at options at the moment. 

Userlevel 1

New technologies are everywhere, especially Elon Musk and SpaceX, AI is especially interesting in all the various applications in which it will be applied. Most interesting item I've seen is on new chips/micro processors that use very little power which is great for so many applications, to infinity and beyond haha 

Userlevel 1

really cheap dumb phones. weve got the tech. it could be really accessible

Userlevel 1

I’m very impressed with what Xiaomi (and other brands like Oppo) is doing. For the first time ever, it is the top selling brand in Europe. Even their £250 (while on offer) Poco F3 boasts a 120Hz display, 5G support, as well as a Snapdragon 870. They are doing incredible things and providing them for decent prices.

The DJI FPV done also has me very excited - HD video is transmitted at a very low latency from a drone that can fly up to 97mph (0-60mph in 2 seconds)! Incredible stuff.

There really are some amazing products coming from Chinese companies right now.

Userlevel 1

I love how much attention companies (seemingly especially Chinese companies) are paying to the cameras on their phones. I was never much of a photographer until I got a Huawei P30 Pro and the camera quality has inspired an interest in photography, which has actually been very therapeutic and helped me with my mental health, especially through lockdowns. Phones have stopped being phones and are now these wildly versatile multitools that are improving so many aspects of daily life, I'm super excited to see where it goes next! 

Badge +10

Getting really excited about new car technologies linked to your mobile.

Fully connected services that allow you to keep in touch with your car even when you’re not with it, Features that keep you informed of vehicle conditions in real time, such as petrol/battery level and tyre pressures.

You can locate the position of your car directly from your smartphone, and you can lock and unlock the doors, program the climate control to heat or cool the car.

Unfortunately it all comes at price, these features are generally subscription based however still worth the excitement.

Love this phone and I would love to win it x

XboxCloud gaming.

Why iD Mobile?