Question

4G to 5G

Userlevel 1

I have a 4G iD mobile contract with Carphone Warehouse, will I be able to get 5G once it arrives at my location? 

Will I need a new sim? Have to pay extra etc or am I stuck with 4G until the contract expires?

Many thanks

Chris

This topic has been closed for comments

19 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @Chirs1211,

If you have an existing plan with us and 5G gets rolled out in your area, as long as your handset is compatible, it will just connect automatically. No new SIM needed, and no increase to your current tariff.

Hope this helps,

Will

Userlevel 1

Yes thank you :)

I’m currently trying to confirm the handset compatibility, iD say no...Three say yes. So I’m a bit confused.

Chris

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

It may be that Three accept it but we don’t, that’s not uncommon.

What is the handset @Chirs1211? If you let me know, I’ll take a look for you.

Will

Userlevel 1

Hi, it’s an Oppo Find X2 Pro, it’s not on iD’s or Three’s list of 5G handsets but I have contacted Three who claim it will work. Pretty confusing when you’re getting conflicting info :(

Chris

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Yeah, I imagine that is confusing @Chirs1211 .

We like to keep it simple, if it’s on the list, it means it has been tested and approved for use on the iD 5G network.

If it’s not included on the list, then there is a possibility you may be able to use your phone on our 5G network, but until it is added to the list there is no guarantee, as it means that device is yet to be tested and approved for use on our 5G network. 

I have checked and it isn’t on the list (click here to view), but we’re always doing our best to add more handsets to 5G, so it’s just worth checking every now and then and hoping for the best.

Hope this helps,

Will

Userlevel 1

Well...phone arrived earlier today and somehow it’s show a 5G symbol next to the signal strength bar, it does fluctuate between 5 and 4G,and more often than not its 4G, but seeing as Three reckon I don’t even have 5G in my area I’ll take it as a win :)

Chris

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi @Chirs1211 

Thanks for the update,  please do let us know if you require any further assistance. 

Regards, 

Michelle 

iD Mobile 

Userlevel 1

Well it seems my happiness was short lived !! Had to do a security update and then the Android 11 update, and now my 5G has gone. Not even showing as an option in the mobile data settings where it was before. :(

Chris

Userlevel 1

Put my Three PAYG sim from my other phone in and i have 5G back again so the phone is good, seems iD are blocking my 5G access for some reason. I’ve no idea why, when they say it can be accessed in 5G areas for no extra charge.

Pretty annoyed to put it lightly to be honest !!

Chris

Userlevel 1

Mmmm no reply  ??

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @Chr151,

Sorry for you annoyance.

Please click here to see the current list of 5G compatible handsets.

If you have a 5G ready phone that isn’t on the list, then the phone may still be able to connect to the 5G network, it just means we have not tested it yet. Any 5G enabled phone may still work and be able to connect to 5G; however, as we haven’t tested it we cannot guarantee it will until its been tested and placed on the aforementioned list.

Cheers,

Will

Userlevel 1

My Issues isn’t that my phone is or isn’t on any list.

My issue is I had 5G now I don’t, I don’t even have the option of selecting it now as it is being blocked by the sim.

Chris

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @Chirs1211,

That it isn’t on the list is part of the issue. If it was on the list, we could guarantee 5G.

As it isn’t, we can only advise that we hope you begin to receive 5G again in the near future because you handset has 5G capability and as previously shown, may pick up 5G when available.

That you had 5G at some point was great, but was never something we guaranteed, and in the first instance here, we advised until it’s tested, it’s unlikely you’d receive it.

Will

Userlevel 1

Just seem pretty strange that I have 5G phone a 5G in my area and my phone gets 5G with a Three sim, yet not with yours, and as you use their network….

So what does iD do to block the 5G signal?

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @Chirs1211,

We don’t actively block 5G signal.

Will

Userlevel 1

Ok maybe the wrong choice of words.

How does iD software alter the signal from Three?

As I keep mentioning, I have a 5G signal with a Three sim, so I had assumed an iD signal would be identical. And to be fair it was, for a few days, then it disappeared, yet I still have a 5G Three signal.

Chris

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @Chirs1211,

We don’t have visibility of Threes internal systems. Although we use their masts, we are completely separate networks. 

Will

Userlevel 2

I have exactly the same situation, I tried asking a more direct question yesterday 

but no replies.  Can I suggest that iD engage its community as testers so we can verify whether or not a phone works on 5G?  Like the OP I don't understand why iD support for 5G should be any different to Three but at least we could crowdsource some more comprehensive data

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @AndyX2Pro,

Emil has responded to your topic today, apologies for the delay in response. We’re trying to get back to everyone as quickly as possible.

Mohammed

Why iD Mobile?