Question

Advice for screen protector

• 4 March 2019
  • 4 replies

Hi Folks, how do you apply your screen protectors? I do my best to follow the instructions, but no matter what I do, I can't get all the tiny motes of dust off the screen! In fact I was certain that the more I tried, the worse it got. So frustrating!

4 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9
Hi @Sherman2008

For a film protector I usually do it in a well ventilated room, let the windows to be open for a while and then I wipe the screen with the screen cloth and then start applying it from the top to bottom very slowly, I use a little bit of small cellar tape to pick up any left over dust if I spot any while applying the protector. Took me 3 trials before I made it perfectly bubble-less 🙂 also if it happens that you have couple of tiny bubbles there is a chance that they will disappear with time.

For tempered glass I do the same but I apply whole screen protector in one go and then massage it in vertical or horizontal moves of my finger until I do see any bubbles.

Regards
Userlevel 3
Badge
Do you have a microfibre cloth? That and some screen cleaning spray? (you should be able to get some together for under a fiver).

What i'd do is spray some of the cleaning spray on my clean microfibre cloth and gentle clean in small circles, and then use the dry side of the cloth to properly get all the cleaning spray stuff off as you want the screen to be dry before applying the screen protector. Try and do this in a room that doesn't have too much dust (not saying you are messy, I just know how dust gets everywhere easily). Just so when you are applying the screen protector the sticky side doesn't attract any when you are putting it on.

I hope this helps.
Try getting hold of a spray bottle and fill it with water. One spray on the screen stops the screen protector from sticking and you can then move it around until it’s lined up. Then use something like a bank card and start pushing out from the centre. Clears all the water out and the heat from the phone dries the screen protector in no time.
Userlevel 3
Installing the protector in a humid environment like a bathroom can help as the humidity means there will be less dust particles floating around. I generally wipe my screen clean with a microfibre cloth in a well lit room with the screen off and check the screen from different angles to see I've removed all dust. I then line up the protector and use any supplied guide stickers to hold the screen protector while I remove any backing film, check the screen again for dust (like any that transferred from the backing film when I was lining up and finally install the protector.

The above sounds really convoluted, but it gets good results and actually doesn't take too long to do.

If you are unlucky to get a speck of dust trapped under a tempered screen protector, you can usually lift the screen protector off and pick the dust off the adhesive. This of-course can risk exposure to more dust and depending how far from the edge the dust is, it might not be easy to get rid of.

Why iD Mobile?