Solved

Alexa - will it be free or incur hidden charges?

• 22 July 2020
  • 5 replies

Using Alexa to make calls with iD mobile

icon

Best answer by Ryan 22 July 2020, 15:28

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @Lindsaybubbles,

Have you managed to make a test call to see if the feature works? It’s a relatively new feature you see.

Calls to mobile phone numbers and landline numbers made using your phone plan will be taken from your allowances unless the call is made to a non-geographical phone number or premium service. So using Alexa as a way to use them would follow the same rules.

You can find a list of all call charges here.

Ryan

Thanks Ryan yes I have already made calls as my sister told me I could, but she’s on a different network. Then I was just concerned there might be an extra cost. I noticed I made a call in May to a premium  service number unwittingly - I have no idea who it was though. What does “non geographical phone number mean exactly?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @Lindsaybubbles,

Non-Geographic is usually 0845 and 087 numbers.

If you scroll further down the bill, you can see a fully itemised breakdown of the calls made and any chargeable ones.

Hope that helps.

Mohammed

Thanks so much @Mohammed  and @Ryan , all very useful. I am a bit more knowledgeable now about those numbers - and looked up last night what sort of companies use them - so helpful to keep a look out. 

It’s so good to be able to use Alexa as my mobile signal is rubbish in my back room and this not  only enables the call but gives me hands free too so I can work at the same time. 

Just another quick question on this topic, does this use my phone data? i.e the wifi bit of it coming from my ISP payment to Virgin or using my data up for iD mobile contract?

Thanks 

Lindsaybubbles

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @Lindsaybubbles , that would be running off of your Wi-Fi as long as both devices are connected.

Will

Why iD Mobile?