Solved

Charged for roaming on an unlimited plan?

• 19 August 2022
  • 6 replies

I just recently got a phone with a SIM from ID, it has unlimited calls and texts, 50mb of data. 

I am in Cyprus (south) , which is a tier 1 location, part of the EU. However I am being charged for every call and message I make to the UK. Why??? 

(The UK is my home country) 

Without even noticing I racked up a bill of over £100 for the month so far. 

Is there a way to stop these charges and have it use the allowance?

icon

Best answer by andewhite 19 August 2022, 01:07

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

6 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Ugne, are you near the border with North Cyprus?
The North Cyprus area is not included in the 50 iD roam like at home destinations, across the EU and beyond - subject to our fair usage & open data policies. 

The easiest way to stop unwanted/unexpected roaming charges, is set your iD My Account bill cap to £0. After this, anything you do while roaming will only work if it can be allocated against your plan’s monthly calls, texts and data allowances.

Anyway, good luck.

The North Cyprus area is not included in the 50 iD roam like at home destinations, across the EU and beyond - subject to our fair usage & open data policies. 

The easiest way to stop unwanted/unexpected roaming charges, is set your iD My Account bill cap to £0. After this, anything you do while roaming will only work if it can be allocated against your plan’s monthly calls, texts and data allowances.

Anyway, good luck.

I am next to the border of North Cyprus, but I am still on the south 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Anyway, good luck.

I am next to the border of North Cyprus, but I am still on the south 

Okay @Ugne, most handsets will connect to the strongest mobile network signal. 

It sounds like the mobile network signal from across the border is stronger in your location.

You could manually select the network to use while you’re roaming in Cyprus, but setting your bill cap to £0 is probably the easier option.

Anyway the iD roaming partners in Cyprus (South) are: Areeba and PrimeTel.

Avoid using Turkcell, which is iD’s roaming partner for Cyprus (North).

Thank you, how can I get a refund for the extra charges on the account?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Ugne, you can try asking for your refund.

Do this in real-time by using the online chat at https://idmobile.co.uk/live-chat from 9am - 8pm on weekdays.

Otherwise, get in-touch with iD at anytime using their social media pages on facebook (by Messenger) or Twitter (by Direct Message).

Anyway, good luck.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @Ugne  we wouldn’t provide a refund due to the usage being valid.

We would only provide a refund if the usage has been billed incorrectly.

It’s not possible for us to record usage if there was no connection made.

I’d recommend setting the spend cap to £0.00 to avoid further charges moving forward on future billing months.

Mohammed

Why iD Mobile?