Christmas - Bah Humbug!

• 30 November 2018
  • 8 replies

Badge +10

Bah Humbug!
This is not a time to be joyful, or merry, the shops a full of stressed mad people, and that's just the staff, the mince pies start appearing, the radio starts acting all melancholy with jingles and such like, the roads are pitied with salt and grit, if only Chris Rea was coming home for Christmas!
I managed to grab a big bag of festive pigs in blankets flavoured crisps from Iceland, to my surprise they are really nice, this sort of stuff should be available all year round. Why do all the best things only ever appear at this festive time, for most part of the year I am struggling to buy anything half decent.

This is my hangup: there is nothing to be cheery about stuck in a Christmas shopping queue, listening to piped xmas music with children running riot.
I refuse to have any kind of tinsel or festive cheer around my home, the xmas cards that appear are merely a front of my former family life if to only appease a few. If anyone cares to try and change the woes of my ways be my guest, the efforts could be misguided.

8 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9
I would not try to change your mind I would invite you to a pub in a secluded area of UK to wait over this chaos of Christmas and let you hear my moans and complaints about horribly bad black friday deals this year, chaos in superstores and expensive Christmas deals, chaos on the road and everyone in a rush and the worst of the worst... Super busy and stressful time at work.
Badge +10
I would not try to change your mind I would invite you to a pub in a secluded area of UK to wait over this chaos of Christmas and let you hear my moans and complaints about horribly bad black friday deals this year, chaos in superstores and expensive Christmas deals, chaos on the road and everyone in a rush and the worst of the worst... Super busy and stressful time at work.

I would imagine even the secluded pub would to be a wash with cheer, with tables reserved for those that share the Christmas works party spirits and over eager staff trying their best to look festive!

I have noticed of recent a clan gathering every Wednesday in one of our local pubs, using the function room space as a games room, some sort of dungeon and dragons theme, think this is where the future of fun resides, not with Christmas spirit.

I tried Christmas shopping and found either the shops refusing to open late nights or very limited lines on the shelfs, yeah expensive stuff too, some shops deserve to loose trade! I bought everything I needed and some, locked away in the cosy, relaxed, stressless place I call the home of the internet.

Roll on new year... 2019 going to be better!
Userlevel 4
I wanted to reply to this thread yesterday - but it was still November and I refused to start considering Christmas until we were at least in the right month. So it can be as cheery or a humbug as you want, its really down to you what you want to make of the holidays. I have started to try and ignore the negative parts and pick out some of the happier parts and focus on those. It doesn't mean it makes everything alright again, its just why should we be drawn down by negative thoughts. You don't even need lots of tinsel and trees etc. to be festive, pick just one small item if you have to and make that your thing.

As for the secluded pub in a quiet corner of the UK, sounds like a plan :-)
Rebecca
Badge +10
@RebeccaF

Here's my one thing...
Userlevel 4
Ahh love it! I used to have a mini desktop tree which went down well when working in an office that didn't put up decorations, it was my little tree of joy 🙂
Userlevel 8
Badge
This is an interesting post. Is Christmas really all it’s cracked up to be?

@terrywebbs, we couldn’t agree more that there’s nothing cheery about being stuck in Christmas queues. In fact, we’ve got a tip on taking the stress out of Christmas shopping – you’ll find it at no. 1 in our 5 ways your phone can save Christmas blog article. There are a few other suggestions on how to make Christmas a little better on there too – let us know what you think!

Another thing we all agree on is the pigs in blankets flavoured crisps are very special. What we’ve never understood is why Pigs in Blankets only come out at Christmas?

We do agree with RebeccaF though, to get the most out of Christmas you need to try and focus on the positives! Like when else would you get to put a tree like that up? 🎄
Badge +10
Christmas has come. Do you want to get a Christmas Gift Spotify music converter? Just check this page to find all the Christmas deals.

@helenawaldron26 ooooh thats a bit controversial, almost goes against the forum t&c's and not in keeping with the bah humbug theme, going to have to lock you in the basement and feed you spam!

Loving the Christmas Horror Story on recently... nice twist and turn, very good film.
Userlevel 4
That's Christmas over for another year, and now we have the changing of the year to look forward to. It is always a bright part for me, it is a new beginning, you cant say you have had a horrible year yet because its only just begun and 12 months to the next Christmas stretch out before you. Does anyone else feel that renewal / rebirth feeling around this time of the year when you can imagine anything can happen?

Why iD Mobile?