Question

Data use when tethering

• 7 June 2019
  • 5 replies

Why does iD mobile believe that accessing the internet via an other device tethered to your phone uses more data than using the phone directly?

5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6
Hi PaulS.

When using a mobile device online, most pages are customised for mobile and generally smaller in data volume.
If you are using a laptop this would not be the case and larger pages would be downloaded which could result in higher data use.

Is there a specific case that's an issue for you?
Phil
Only that I would like to change my carrier from 3 mobile to iD but am concerned about iD's lack of support for tethering which is important to me so that my wifi can use her iPad and I can use my MacBook Air when we are away in our camper or boat with no wi-fi. If it works well on the 3 network, why might it not on iD?
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Hello @PaulS,

We do support tethering but it's only recently been made available. We can troubleshoot potential issues so it's hard to say right now.

Data usage can vary and it depends on a few factors, but as @Phil mentioned, loading pages via a laptop/MacBook may use more data. Please also note that when tethering, the device providing the data is using data for it's own apps etc and then there's additional usage from the devices connected. This is why more data is being used and why it can lead to your data allowances used up as a much quicker rate. It's also much easier to surf on a a laptop/tablet than it is on a phone.

Mohammed
Pleased to hear that tethering is now supported so will pick a time to change networks from 3 to iD except that I have just thought of another problem. We live in a mobile not-spot and use a 3 mobile 'Home Signal' device to route our calls through our broadband. Do iD have a similar facility?
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Hey @PaulS,

Sadly, we don't offer a facility like this, it's only offered via Three directly.
I can't guarantee that the device you're currently using would be compatible with our network either.

Mohammed

Why iD Mobile?