Solved

eSim rollout (again)

• 7 August 2020
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi, I can see this has been asked before but it is becoming more and more commonplace.

Does iD mobile now have any plans to support eSims as I fear iD will start to loose market share as Smart devices (watches / speakers) become more and more popular.

I for one will need to switch away from iD once my contract is up for renewal as I want to make full use of my new smart watch.

icon

Best answer by Rory 1 November 2020, 16:59

Hi @iDmobileAL, it’s certainly something our best boffins will be looking at very closely, but I’m afraid we don’t have anything to share just yet. The only carriers in the UK that currently offer this service are EE, O2, Truphone and Ubigi.

Thank you,

Rory

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @RyuAmiga.

As it stands, we don’t offer eSIMs, but as a network, we’re always looking at new innovations and ways to develop.

Although we can’t confirm or deny anything at the moment, it may be something we look at in the future.

Will

Userlevel 1

Hi, I can see this has been asked before but it is becoming more and more commonplace.

Does iD mobile now have any plans to support eSims as I fear iD will start to loose market share as Smart devices (watches / speakers) become more and more popular.

I for one will need to switch away from iD once my contract is up for renewal as I want to make full use of my new smart watch.

Yeah totally agree. Actually thinking of buying out my contract now as I’m not waiting forever for esim support 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi @Drfett,

We’re sorry to hear that you feel this way. At this time we cannot offer an estimated timescale of when or if they will be available.

Kind regards,
Ryan

Userlevel 1

Hi 

thanks for your reply. It’s a real shame as I have no issues with network or service but the lack of esim support seems archaic and I imagine it would be a great revenue earner for ID too.

Regards

jamie 

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Thanks for the feedback @Drfett

We completely understand what you’re saying, but at this time can’t provide a more favourable response I’m afraid. 

Take care, and please let us know if ever we can assist you with anything else.

Will

Hi @Will ,

The future is here; https://www.apple.com/uk/iphone-12/specs/

Might be time to shift this up the priority list?

Cheers, AL 

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Hi @iDmobileAL, it’s certainly something our best boffins will be looking at very closely, but I’m afraid we don’t have anything to share just yet. The only carriers in the UK that currently offer this service are EE, O2, Truphone and Ubigi.

Thank you,

Rory

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

UPDATE:

Breaking news more networks in the UK now support this new eSim technology:

o2

EE

Truphone

Ubigi

Three

Vodafone

esim.net

----------------------------------------------------------------

Ubigi and Truphone offer data only plans and are ideal for those that travel.

esim.net offer both calls and data plans with very low per minute prices.

the above online eSim providers are unique in the respect they offer
a truly digital eSim delivery service.

I was up and running on esim.net in under 10 minutes.

https://www.esim.net

With esim.net you can also choose to roam with o2, vodafone or three.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Be prepared to jump through hoops with the UK networks to even get an eSim

1. UK networks require you to have a pay monthly contract (PAYGO not supported) 

1. You still need to obtain a plastic sim card then apply for a sim swap to get an eSim 

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Great article here on eSim and supported networks only a few months old

https://kenstechtips.com/index.php/esim-on-uk-networks

A great reference point with links on how to get your UK eSim