Solved

Extra spurious message when using extended absence greeting

• 11 January 2020
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

If you set an extended absence greeting on voicemail and chose the option not to allow callers to leave messages, a caller

1. first hears your extended absence greeting 
  2. Then hear a standard message saying that they can’t leave a message
  3. Then invites the caller to enter a phone number if they want to leave a message for *another* number.

1 is what you would expect. 2 is fine. But 3 is rather odd. Why would someone ring *you* if they want to leave a message for someone else?!!!

Even stranger, if the caller, when given the option to leave a message for another number, actually taps in *your* number then they can leave a message! 

In short - 3 should not happen. How can we stop it?

icon

Best answer by Nemo 20 January 2020, 14:15

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @Nemo,

I’m sorry to hear this is happening.

It seems like a conditional problem which we can raise to our TechTeam.

Is this message being displayed to all callers who ring you?

Have you tried leaving your number when asked for another number? 

We wouldn’t expect you to receive a voicemail when this is turned off.

You could disable voicemail which would prevent any of this.

Mohammed

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello @Mohammed 

Taking your questions one by one:

Q Is this message being displayed to all callers who ring you?

A Yes for all callers

Q Have you tried leaving your number when asked for another number? We wouldn’t expect you to receive a voicemail when this is turned off.

A If I ring my Id Mobile number, when prompted to leave a message for *another* number I can type in my *own* number and leave a message on *my* number (which I should not be able to do).   

Q You could disable voicemail which would prevent any of this.

A Yes, but I actually want the extended absence message to be played. If I switch of voicemail the extended absence message will not be played to callers.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hi @Nemo 

If you set your account to not allow Voicemails then, from your explanation, it appears callers are directed to the general Voicemail number for the network.

That’s why generic options are available with the choice to leave a message for any number.

-Phil 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @Phil 

What you say makes sense but you are just describing the problem rather than fixing it!

John

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @Nemo,

We’re sorry that a more favourable solution can’t be offered here. The only compromise would be to leave Voicemail turned on, but record a message asking for no messages to be left and for the caller to then contact a different number if required. Possibly leave a very long pause at the end of your message so that the caller hangs up rather than leave their message?

Ryan

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @Ryan 

you suggested “Possibly leave a very long pause at the end of your message so that the caller hangs up rather than leave their message?

I have tried this but it doesn’t work. When you record a greeting message using 123, the long silence is automatically stripped out by the system and only the part with sound remains part of the message.

Is it possible to load a greeting message as an mp3 file? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @Nemo,

Unfortunately, it’s not possible to upload an MP3 file for a Voicemail greeting.

Sorry about that.

Mohammed

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello @Mohammed 

Well we seem to have exhausted all possibilities as each possible “work around” raises further problems.

In case it helps anyone else who is trying to set things up as I am - i.e. so that a caller is informed in a non-alarming way when the phone is out of range but not invited to leave a message - I explain below what I have now done.

1. I have signed up with a “virtual phone numbers” company and have been provided with a number which is set to simply play a message (and not allow the leaving of message).  
  2. On my phone If have set “Forward when unreachable” to that number

This works but it does cost me a monthly fee so it is a pity that I have to do it this way.

Why iD Mobile?