Question

How can I switch to phone contract from Sim only?

Hi I have recently purchased a sim only plan which is 30 days rolling contract. It is less than 14 days old and I am considering getting a phone contract through iD mobile and retain my number.

When I chose to upgrade through the app it says that I need to wait till November to upgrade.

Is there any ways I can upgrade to phone contract before November? I also don't understand why I have to wait till then when I'm on a 30 days rolling contact.

If I purchase a separate phone contact through iD mobile while having sim only, can I cancel my SIM only plan after 30 days and transfer the number to phone contract SIM?

This topic has been closed for comments

12 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

You won't be able to switch to a handset plan until November.

You might be able to take out a new line than comes with a handset providing you pass the credit check but you cannot move a number from one iD Mobile line to another. A work around would be to port the number you want to keep to another network and port it back to the new line.

It's a bit silly but I think that's the only option thank you 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @Ash799,

It’s 6-months before you can upgrade to a handset contract.

This is because upgrades do not require a credit check.

We’d therefore determine your eligiblity based on your payment history for this 6-month period.

I appreciate it may be a little frustruating, unfortunately, we can’t remove this or speed it up.

Mohammed

Hi yes I understand the policy behind it now.

However, If a customer already have a sim only plan which is a rolling 30 days contact and they also purchase another monthly phone contract (which passed through the credit check) they should be able to transfer the SIM only number at the end of SIM only contract, rather than having to port number out and back in again? Also if the number is ported out is there a cool down period where the same number can not be port back in? 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I don't think any of the UK mobile providers allow a customer to port a number internally.

So, you won’t be able to move a mobile number from one iD account to another iD account.

You’ll have to the work-around from @WelshPaul, i.e. port the number you want to keep to another network and then port it back to the new account. 

I was with EE in the past and in a semilar scenario where they replicated my phone plan on the number I want to keep and closed the other number. That is basically what I need iD mobile to do rather than porting the number from one network to another then bring it back again. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

So, yes you can do this with iD Mobile if you change plan or upgrade plan, from within the iD app or iD My Account online.

As you seem unwilling to wait until November to do this, your option is to use the work-around from @WelshPaul.

Update: I purchased contract phone and used PAC code to move number out of ID mobile. Now when i try to switch my number back to my contract sim it wont allow me?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Has the PAC expired?

I got a new PAC code from Giffgaff but when I enter that PAC code on ID mobile app it says “You cant port in with an iD PAC code. You need to get one from your old network, and use that instead.” which makes no sense.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Indeed, sounds like nonsense.

Do you still have the PAC you got from iD to port giffgaff.

Do both these PACs start with the same characters?

You’ll probably need to start by asking iD why the giffgaff PAC doesn’t work - using the online chat.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Ash799 

I’m unsure why that error would be coming up, we’re definitely not the same network.

Our PAC codes begin with “VTM” and are followed by 6 numbers which would be the only PAC codes we don’t accept.

If you’re still having issues let us know here or as @andewhite says on our iD Mobile Live Chat.

Tom

Why iD Mobile?