Solved

How do I complain about the complaints department?

• 2 October 2018
  • 17 replies

Userlevel 2
A few months ago I got an upgraded phone. the details are below, but 4 SIMs later, plus numerous webchats and 2 visits to Carphone warehouse at your request and I still don't have a working phone . On my last but one webchat (reproduced below, with security details obscured) I said I wanted to have the contract cancelled at no cost because ID have breached the contract by not providing the paid for service. the agent said they completely understood and that the complaints department would contact me in 3-5 days. On the 5th day I had another webchat, told you I had not had any contact from the complaints department and was assured I would be contacted by 19:00 that evening. It's now 7 working days and still no contact from the complaints department.
Anyone know how I complain about the complaints department, and get this failed contract cancelled? You have my landline - call me, no point in trying the mobile (worth mentioning because one agent I had a chat with said 'if you call from your handset it doesn't cost anything - the whole point of the contact was because my handset wasn't working!!!!).

TRANSCRIPT BELOWInfo: We've received your chat request. An agent will be with you shortly.
Info: All our agents are busy helping other customers. Your estimated waiting time is 0 minutes and 9 seconds. Thanks for your patience.
Info: You're chatting with Wayne .
Wayne :Hi obscured, how can I help you today?

You: Hi Wayne, I got an upgrade about 2 months ago. I had problems and got a replacement SIM. Things seemed OK up to about 2 weeks ago. I was sent another SIM that didn't arrive, then I received a 4th SIM this week. When installed and my number was transferred I was able to call and text, though still not get Internet away from a Wi Fi Signal. I have a text on the phone "2549 The terminal cannot be configured remotely, please contact customer support. Currently I can't call or text.
Wayne :Thank you for bringing this to my attention X, I am sorry that you're having trouble with your mobile for these few weeks. I will try my best to help you with this.

Wayne :Before we get started, I need to ask you a couple of security questions. Could you please provide your obscured?

You: obscured
Wayne :Thanks. For added security, can you please fill in the obscured?

Wayne : Please enter obscured.
You:
Wayne : Please enter obscured.
You:
Wayne :
Perfect! That matches our records. Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Wayne :
Have you tries testing your SIM in another mobile?

You: This is the 3rd time I have had this issue and on 2 previous occasions I have been to Carphone warehouse and they have told me it isn't the phone, so get a new SIM. Each time I have got a new SIM the phone works initially and then stops again, as now. No there are no other phones around I can test with. When I turned the phone on this afternoon I was on the network screen and the display was going from no network to ID to in a few seconds, I have seen this before, though currently it is staying on ID. The chance of me getting duff 3 SIMs in a row should be negligible.
You: To tell you where I am going with this, I have been without a phone for over a week, and now it doesn't work again after briefly working. I am paying for a working phone and I don't have that. If you can't fix this I want to reject the SIM & phone and try another company to see if they can provide me with a phone and SIM that works.
Wayne :
Can we double check whether you have the right SIM card inside your mobile, and I can only imagine the frustration you're going through.

You: The SIM fits, it looks the same as the SIM that was supplied with the upgrade a couple of months ago. What else can I check?
You: and it did work briefly when I first installed it
You: I am prepared to work with you to solve this, but having already had several attempts my patience is not infinite
Wayne :
Are you able to confirm the SIM serial number please, it starts with 89 or 16.

You: (SIM supplied, not starting with 89 or 16)
Wayne :
Was it working in the course of this day?

You: I turned it on first thing and received an update, but didn't try to text or call until just before i started talking to you
Wayne :
Please make a test call or send a text message to yourself.

You: I turned it off and on after removin the SIM to check the serial, and now it is cycling through no service; 3 UK; id under mobile network
You: repeatedly, changing about every 1 or 2 seconds
You: sometimes it says emergency calls only
You: when I go to make a call it says mobile network not available
Wayne :
I am going to run a coverage check, please bear with me.

You: I have changed to 3G because I am just outside the best 4G coverage, but am inside it for 3G
Wayne :
I've run a coverage check and there are no issues inside your area, however I do encourage you to test your SIM card and device in store and see what we can do from there.

You: No. I've done that twice before and all they do is tell me there is nothing wrong with the phone so I need a new SIM.
Wayne :
I completely understand, Please wait for a moment while I get that information for you.

You: It is still cycling between 'no service', '3 UK' 'ID' 'Emergency calls only, changing from one to another every 1 - 2 seconds
You: It is only the fact that the Wi Fi works that means this isn't a paperweight
You: but as a phone, it is no better than a paperweight
Wayne : Is the issue location specific?
You: I have walked around the house with it but that makes no difference. Even if the signal wasn't very good for a phonecall I would expect a text to work, but there is still a text waiting to go from yesterday or the day before. My wifes phone (she isn't here) is on GiffGaff and she can phone and text to her heart's content, and she can use her data to get to the internet, she isn't stuck using wi fi
You: The cycling between 3UK, ID etc has now stopped on ID. I am trying to call my landline
You: nope. that didn't work.
Wayne : The infrastructure can have an impact on this as well, if you go outside are you able to use your services.
You: trying to call the mobile from the landline
You: "this number is not accepting calls..."
You: I'll go outside, hang on a mo
Wayne :
No problem.

You: stood on the pavement and tried to call my landline and my wife's mobile, neither got through. My text from the previous night is still saying 'not sent' when I tep to try again is says "no preferred SIM selected for sending SMS"
You: Under mobile network there is nothing, not ID, 3UK or even emergency calls only
You: when I tap on mobile network I get "Process com.android.phone isn't responding"
Wayne :
I completely understand, I will have to raise this for you internally as it is something that is really out of my control X.

You: I'm at the point now where I want to cancel the contract for non-delivery of service and try with someone else
You: can I drop the phone off at carphone warehouse of do you have to send me a box to return it in?
You: ('or', not 'of')
Wayne :
I completely understand X, if I was in your shoes I would feel the same way and would definitely want to cancel myself.

You: so how do I cancel?
Wayne : You are definitely able to cancel, however there would be a termination fee on your contract for cancelling early.
You: NO FEE. I am cancelling because you can't deliver the promised service
You: you are breaching the contract by not providing the service I am paying for, so the contract should be voided.
Wayne :
Please wait for a moment while I get that information for you.

Wayne :
I am still here X, I am just getting this sorted for you.

You: thanks Wayne
Wayne :
No problem.

Wayne : Has this issue started at the beginning of your upgrade?
You: Yes. The initial symptoms were the same, when a replacement SIM arrived that was better, but I don't think I have ever managed to get onto the internet other than using Wi Fi. the phone is more for emergency usage so I can go more than a week without turning it on.
Wayne :
Have you reported the issue within the 14 days?

You: yes I did, so I was sent a new SIM. I would have thought that all this would be on my file somewhere.
You: The first SIM did exactly what this one was doing when it was cycling between 3 UK, ID etc and never worked.
Wayne :
Which IMEI/ type of handset are you using when experiencing the coverage issue ?

You: It's a Nokia 5 TA 1024 - does that answer your question?
Wayne :
Yes, thank you.

Wayne :
I know I have asked you this before, but just to confirm it again, what happens when you test your SIM in another mobile, is it the same results?

You: I have twice taken the phone to Carphone Warehouse (with different SIMS). The first time the sales assistant told me I needed a new SIM, the second time the assistant said it is definitely not the phone, it is something at their end, so get a new SIM. I arranged for that on a Saturday, when the SIM hadn't arrived by the following Thursday I contacted you again to be told 'Royal Mail made a mistake, we will send you another one, so that time I was without a phone for over a week
Wayne :
I completely understand X, however what happens when you test your SIM card in another mobile.

You: I didn't test it, I gave it to the assistant to test it and I've told you what I remember that they said about it.
Wayne :
Do you have another mobile now to test, because I would need to know what the results are.

You: I am paying for a phone and a SIM from you. On a number of occasions I have spoken to your colleagues and twice I have gone into Carphone Warehouse shops at your request to try to resolve this. After all this time I still do not have a working phone and my patience with you is at an end.
You: We've been here for almost 2 hours and are no closer to fixing anything
Wayne :
I completely understand that you've been back and forth in store X, I am sending this off for you to find out if we're able to terminate the contract without termination fee, however I would appreciate it if you could answer my question.

Wayne :
It is one of the questions I need to complete for you at the moment, I just need to know what are the results when you test your SIM in a different device.

Wayne : Is it giving you the same issue when you test it in a different device?
You: I don't recall anything else about the first visit other than what I was told to do. On the more recent visit I know the assistant swapped my SIM with his SIM and then told me that it definitely wasn't a problem with my phone. The result was that the assistant said to get a new SIM
You: I told them what the situation was, they fiddled about with the phone, then told me what to do next.
Wayne :
Ok no problem, have you moved address since the contract was taken out?

You: Nope, I've been here for over 10 years.
You: My wife has never had a proble with a giffgaff SIM and no visitors have ever complained about problems.
Wayne :
Thank you for your time and patience, I've raised it to our team and we will have this escalated for you now. Please allow 3-5 working days and we will give you a ring. Do you have an alternative number?

Wayne :
I haven't heard from you for a while. Do you wish to continue our chat?

You: I was looking to get an answer now so I could get a new phone over the weekend. I don't feel great about ID, but this is just making it worse. My house phone is obscured, it would have to be obscured
Wayne :
Thank you for providing me with your number, at this point I would ask of you if you can allow the 3-5 working days for our team to check at everything for us. They would be able to let us know whether the contract can be cancelled without termination fee.

You: and how much is the fee?
Wayne :
It is £221.81 X.

Wayne :
I haven't heard from you for a while. Do you wish to continue our chat?

You: So you cannot deliver a working phone and you want me to pay that for this paperweight. This is unbelievable
Wayne : I have escalated it for you to find out if we're able to cancel it without termination fee.
You: So I should get a call within a week?
Wayne :
Yes, that is correct X. The timescale is 3-5 working days.

You: I think we are done here for now then
Wayne :
I am grateful for your time and patience X is there anything else you'd like me to check for you?

You: No thanks Wayne
Wayne :
Thanks for chatting. To help us improve our service, we'd really appreciate your feedback - so could you answer a few questions about the service you've received today?

You: yes, and I'll definitely need a transcript in case I have to escalate things from my end.
Wayne :
Yes, a transcription of our chat can be saved as soon as our chat ends. You will have the options to save it Keith. Thank you again for your time with me and understanding.

You: bye
Wayne :
Thanks for visiting. Please contact us again if you need more assistance.
icon

Best answer by Ryan 3 October 2018, 13:45

View original

17 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +10
Hi @Unhappyuser,

I am sorry to read about what has happened, we will have this situation looked into further. I'm going to send you a PM with a way of contacting us which will be effective in having this resolved.

Thanks,
Ryan
Userlevel 2
The above chat happened on 20th Sept. I still do not have a working phone and the complaints department have still not contacted me. So that is OVER 3 WEEKS WITHOUT A WORKING PHONE … think about that for a minute … how would you feel if this was done to you?? Regarding the PM from Ryan above, that did not progress things at all. I spent a further 53 minutes on a webchat on 4th Oct, when I was told that the complaints team had been trying to get in touch with me .. on my mobile .. to discuss my complaint about my mobile not working!!! I'm not making that up, I have the webchat transcript to prove it. I said again (as I said on 20/9) to call me on my LANDLINE and gave my number again. I was told on 4/10 "you are likely to get a call back tomorrow" from the complaints team, but over a week later and still no contact. They have my landline plus my e-mail address, but nothing.
Does this sound like a company that has any interest in customer service? Do YOU want to have anything to do with this company??
iD seem to have some weird SIM compatibility issues that I've never seen on other networks. I bought an iPhone XS from them and the SIM they sent didn't work with the phone but did work in my iPhone 6S, so I decided to just use my Vodafone SIM instead and when they sent the replacement SIM I put it in an old Nokia Windows Phone and got that exact same "2549 The terminal cannot be configured remotely, please contact customer support" text message, but the phone works fine as far as I can tell. I figure it's talking about being unable to download or configure network settings, it's possible that having a previous working SIM in the phone is why mine works and yours might not, unless you've already tried a known working SIM?

In summary it seems that the issue is caused by incompatibility between the provided SIM and the phone, which would be acceptable if you bought them both separately but not so much if both are provided by the same company, that just screams incompetence. Either way good luck and hopefully you can get it sorted out one way or the other.

I desperately need a replacement sim  an anyone help

Userlevel 1

I'm not impressed with ID. You cant get hold of anyone and to have the community answer your questions is an unsatisfactory cop out. It's expensive and although I am careful about using FB and Social media, i feel I only have to breathe and they charge me for out of plan usage. My plan includes unlimited texts but I am regularly charged for texts!!!! I am changing back to my previous provider when this Contract is finished. There's no one available to discuss this with and my monthly bill is double, sometimes treble what it should be and I dont use my phone all that much. After all I'm no teenager.  Not impressed.

Userlevel 1

I think its rubbish quite frankly

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi there @Tromgirl 

Do you send picture message often, as picture messages would class as MMS which cost 30p each.  So it’s always best to save pictures messages and the like for Whatsapp or Facebook Messenger as it is free to send those over messenger services that would use data/ Wi-Fi.

If you find yourself having to constantly be careful about how much data you’re using each month then you might want to look at Plan Changes within the iD Mobile app.  Usually the next plan above what you’re on now would only be a £1-2 more a month and work out as a much better alternative to buying outside of plan add-ons or being charged at the outside-of-plan rates for going over data etc.

We would only ever charge you for data that your phone is using.  Most phones these days will list what apps are using what amount of data when you’re not on Wi-Fi.  So it’s easier to understand what is using your data there.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hello @Simon1972, we’ve just PM’d you now to get the ball rolling with the replacement SIM you need too.

Userlevel 1

I  have been trying to cancel my Contract with idmobile since the 12.10.20. I wrote a letter to Currys Carphone Warehouse stating this and was contacted by a member of staff, saying they could not do this by my letter, I would have to go into the store or use the website or ring the telephone number he gave me. Having tried the website many times and found it totally useless and could not get any sensible conclusion (even the Live chat sign disappeared).

I then went into the Weymouth Store to be told they can’t cancel Contracts there they “only sell phones” . A staff member called Kerri gave me a phone No.03330037777 which proved to be useless.

<removed personal details>

Userlevel 1

I had the same problem. It's absolutely useless. I managed to get a chat line and tge conversation took nearly 2 hours.  I cancelled and went to another Provider . I'm delighted I did. You can actually speak to a person .and I'm saving £30 a month because they were kind enough to advise me.  

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi @Mrs Moya Watling 

First and foremost, we’re very sorry for any undue stress caused through you trying to cancel.

The quickest way to speak to someone at iD Mobile is through the Live Chat Team click here

Though we’re also helping all customers that make a post on the iD Community like you have done here.

In order to help ensure we get your account closed and disconnected for you we have just now sent you a private message so that we can confirm you’re the account holder, locate your account, and bring all of that to an end for you.

To reach that private message.  Simply click on your profile picture in the top right, then go to your private messages.

Thank you.

I would simply like to speak to a human being at ID mobile is this possible in the 21st century? or can I only do this with other providers?

Userlevel 1

That's why I changed to another provider. More Customer friendly.

Ah the non existent chat service, ID mobile your service is so bad your days are numbered, clearly looking for a buyer hence reduced service costs to customers - owners desperate to make a quick buck

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Ah the non existent chat service, ID mobile your service is so bad your days are numbered, clearly looking for a buyer hence reduced service costs to customers - owners desperate to make a quick buck

Hello Andrew,

I can see my colleague already sent you a PM here on the 15/11/20: 

https://community.idmobile.co.uk/app-and-my-account-23/registering-my-account-38908

You can find the message in your Private Messages and raise any issues you have here.

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

I have sent the PAC number to ID mobile through Switching to iD Mobile page since Wednesday this week, and today is Saturday my old number has not switched over yet. A friend told me about the nightmare he went through with ID mobile, Please resolve this ontime because i cant afford to go through the same nightmare.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @Dara,

Have you received an verification at all that your PAC code was submitted correctly?

Will

Why iD Mobile?