Solved

How do I switch the contract over to someone elses name?

Userlevel 1

Hello, I am having trouble knowing how to put the contract into my sister’s name. I have been paying her mobile contract since it started in March and she has asked me to transfer it into her name, but I have personally never used Mobile ID, im autistic and got anxiety disorder so I really would appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction if possible please. I am with Vodafone, so I really do not know what im doing.

im on benefits and accepted to pay £19.99 a month for my sisters contract, however, it has been different amounts per month. Seeing I have shown its stressing me out my sister asked me to transfer the contract into her name but ive noticed there could be a fee as im halfway through the contract. ive not got £700.00 and thats what the remainder of the contract is going to cost.

so please can someone ease my mind and let me know how I go about putting the contract into my sisters name? im desperate . its all making me sick and i feel like passing out cause at first it was £19.99, but then in april it was £78, then in may it was £39 and now this month, they took £59. 

best wishes rebecca.

icon

Best answer by WelshPaul 2 June 2021, 23:19

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

21 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

As of 2020:

We can’t change the name/owner of the account I’m afraid. The only way around this would be for her to purchase one in her own name and you would need to port your number to another network and then back to us on the new plan bought in her name.

As far as I am aware this is still their policy.

If the monthly amounts are all over the place, it’s likely because your sister is using services that are outside of her allowance. Log in to your ID Mobile account and under the widget “Cap My Extra Usage Charges.” click on “Set a cap now” and set it to zero!

I have, this is what it shows on mine:

A £0 cap means you won't be able to use services outside your allowances, such as sending a picture message (MMS).

Your Extra Usage Charge cap of £0.00, plus your monthly line rental charge of £8.00, means you'll never spend more than £8.00.

You should only be charged £19.99 per month and no more! If your sister tries to use things that are not included in your free allowances, they will not work and you won’t be charged any extra.

Good Luck. 🤞 

Userlevel 1

As of 2020:

We can’t change the name/owner of the account I’m afraid. The only way around this would be for her to purchase one in her own name and you would need to port your number to another network and then back to us on the new plan bought in her name.

As far as I am aware this is still their policy.

If the monthly amounts are all over the place, it’s likely because your sister is using services that are outside of her allowance. Log in to your ID Mobile account and under the widget “Cap My Extra Usage Charges.” click on “Set a cap now” and set it to zero!

I have, this is what it shows on mine:

A £0 cap means you won't be able to use services outside your allowances, such as sending a picture message (MMS).

Your Extra Usage Charge cap of £0.00, plus your monthly line rental charge of £8.00, means you'll never spend more than £8.00.

You should only be charged £19.99 per month and no more! If your sister tries to use things that are not included in your free allowances, they will not work and you won’t be charged any extra.

Good Luck. 🤞

This is what shows on my computer screen, I cannot find where it shows ‘’set a cap now’’. :’( what do I do?

Userlevel 1

REMOVED ATTACHMENT

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Yea, so in the first screenshot it says that usage charges are capped at £75.00. You need to set it to ZERO.

Unfortunately in the second Screenshot it says that you have already exceeded this amount and that you need to log in at the begining of your next billing month to lower your cap.

Try setting it to £30, if that don’t work I’d try asking customer services if they can lower it now.

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-support

If they won’t, either login at the beginning of next months billing cycle or take the phone off your sister until you’re able to lower it.

P.S. Remove the second screenshot as your mobile number is visible to the world. 

Userlevel 1

Yea, so in the first screenshot it says that usage charges are capped at £75.00. You need to set it to ZERO.

Unfortunately in the second Screenshot it says that you have already exceeded this amount and that you need to log in at the begining of your next billing month to lower your cap.

I’d try asking customer services if they can lower it now.

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-support

If they won’t, either login at the beginning of next month or take the phone off your sister until you’re able to lower it.

I have tried the automated live chat, but it wont load, and its too much for me to cope with. I prefer the traditional going into the phone store to sort things out. this is too much . i cant cope with this Its too much. im sorry I tried ten times to get through to id mobile customer service and had no luck today. which is why im reaching out to the community on here you see. i didnt know what else to do and im unable to sleep cause of it all. i dont understand when my next billing month is either . i dont understand a word of this online phone contract website really

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Try setting the cap at £30 or £40?

It probably won’t let you go as low as ZERO because you have already spent an extra £19.80 (well your sister has).

You will find when your bills are due on the top of the Dashboard. Look for “Billing period:

If you can lower it to £30 or something that is better than £75 and you can then lower it once your next bill is generated. Not ideal I know but better than the alternative. 

Userlevel 1

Try setting the cap at £30 or £40?

It probably won’t let you go as low as ZERO because you have already spent an extra £19.80 (well your sister has).

You will find when your bills are due on the top of the Dashboard. Look for “Billing period:

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

If your sister refuses to give you back the phone or stop racking up charges then use the Lost or Stolen option located in “My Services” to block the SIM. Extreme I know but she should be more supportive and help you resolve this.

EDIT: Your bills are generated on the 18th of every month.

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Can you go into “My Services” and turn off Premium (if it’s turned on).

I can see your sister is racking up charges related to text messaging. Likely premium rate messages?

Userlevel 1

Can you go into “My Services” and turn off Premium if it’s turned on.

I can see your sister is racking up charges related to text messaging. Likely premium rate messages?

I have turned off the following which are showing as pending and off:

I didnt realise these had been on if i had known sooner… roaming if overseas, international calls and premium? no wonder it werent staying on £19.99!

Userlevel 1

Can you go into “My Services” and turn off Premium (if it’s turned on).

this explains what I have turned off

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Good job!

The screenshot you posted earlier shows that she has sent a picture message for 30p and £19.50 on texts. I’m guessing you get free text messages in your allowance? If so, it’s most likely premium rate texts or some scam! It may not even be her fault. Many free Google Play games have clickable ads/links that link back to premium text services.

Now that you turned off Premium I think you will see no more additional charges applied to your account. On the 18th, sign back in and set that cap to ZERO! :)

It’s shocking that ID Mobile have these set as enabled by default TBH!

Userlevel 1

Good job!

The screenshot you posted earlier shows that she has sent a picture message for 30p and £19.50 on texts. I’m guessing you get free text messages in your allowance? If so, it’s most likely premium rate texts or some scam! It may not even be her fault. Many free Google Play games have clickable ads/links that link back to premium text services.

Now that you turned off Premium I think you will see no more additional charges applied to your account. On the 18th, sign back in and set that cap to ZERO! :)

thank you so much! This has been a great help to me, you have calmed my mind so much! ^_^ if it works, i will let you know and if it does not work, I will still give you an update anyway.

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

I’m confident it will work.

Try and stay calm and don’t panic if you see it creeps up a little over the next 24 hours or so. It may take a day or so for things to settle. :)

Userlevel 1

Try and stay calm and don’t panic if you see it creeps up a little over the next 24 hours or so. It may take a day or so for things to settle. :)

Alright, I will keep an eye on it. thank you.

Userlevel 1

what is premium? sorry im curious now.

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Premium is just the name of the bar ID Mobile has on their website that allows you turn on and off the ability to make Premium calls, premium texts and premium MMS.

Years ago you’d pay £1.50 a minute for calling a sex line or some psychic. Then they implemented the ability to send Premium texts where you send a text to a number like 4321 and you get a charge applied to your account for like £4-5 a text!

I could be wrong but I think that is where all these extra charges have come from. You could have a look through your last two bills and it should show there exactly what and when you were billed for. :)

EDIT: I just want to point out that i’m not saying your sister has been calling sex lines or crazy psychics! Charities use them as do scam artists via rouge apps found on the app store! Premium calls, texts and MMS should always be turned off by default but they are nice little money makers for the Networks so most default to on.

Userlevel 1

Premium is just the name of the bar ID Mobile has on their website that allows you turn on and off the ability to make Premium calls, premium texts and premium MMS.

Years ago you’d pay £1.50 a minute for calling a sex line or some psychic. Then they implemented the ability to send Premium texts where you send a text to a number like 4321 and you get a charge applied to your account for like £4-5 a text!

I could be wrong but I think that is where all these extra charges have come from. You could have a look through your last two bills and it should show there exactly what and when you were billed for. :)

EDIT: I just want to point out that i’m not saying your sister has been calling sex lines or crazy psychics! Charities use them as do scam artists via rouge apps found on the app store! Premium calls, texts and MMS should always be turned off by default but they are nice little money makers for the Networks so most default to on.

well what I meant is, what are premium calls, premium texts and premium MMS? is that to do with sending pictures in texts? if so then I do hope i’ve not stopped my sister from being able to send images.

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

No your sister can still send text messages and picture messages to her friends and family. (Although picture messages are chargeable on ID Mobile.)

You have blocked her from making premium calls (calls to numbers starting with 09, 118, 0871, 0872 and 0873)

You have blocked her from sending and receiving premium rate texts (texts to short-code numbers like 4321)

You have blocked her from sending and receiving premium rate MMS (picture messages to numbers like 4321)

The most expensive premium rate numbers cost up to £3 per minute and even the cheapest cost about 75p per minute.

Have a read of this:

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/i-m-being-charged-for-unwanted-premium-rate-text-messages-almsL7P6GmvI

Userlevel 1

No your sister can still send text messages and picture messages to her friends and family. (Although picture messages are chargeable on ID Mobile.)

You have blocked her from making premium calls (calls to numbers starting with 09, 118, 0871, 0872 and 0873)

You have blocked her from sending and receiving premium rate texts (texts to short-code numbers like 4321)

You have blocked her from sending and receiving premium rate MMS (picture messages to numbers like 4321)

The most expensive premium rate numbers cost up to £3 per minute and even the cheapest cost about 75p per minute.

Have a read of this:

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/i-m-being-charged-for-unwanted-premium-rate-text-messages-almsL7P6GmvI

A guy from ID Mobile said he has put the cap to £0 so it will stay on £19.99 per month for the contract. :) so no matter what sis uses, it will stay that price for paying. Besides sis uses whatsapp for sending images to people.

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Happy to read that you got it all sorted in the end and that you won't get any more surprise bills. I too use WhatsApp, DUO and several other apps to make video calls and send media to friends and family... All for free! 😀

Why iD Mobile?