Solved

iPhone 6s has died after 15 months of a 24 month contract

Userlevel 1

My sons iPhone 6s has stopped working after 15 months of a 24 month contract. I sent it to Apple thinking it was maybe the battery, but they have come back to me saying its a motherboard issue and that it will cost £250 to fix/ replace. 

I would like ID Mobile to give me a free replacement or repair. If a phone provided to me as part a two year contract doesn’t last 2 years then obviously it’s not fit for purpose. 

Any thoughts?!

icon

Best answer by Michelle 8 December 2020, 17:49

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hey @Shamilt1,

We’re sorry to hear about your device issue! We will always honour a manufacturers warranty when it comes to a faulty phone, and Apple devices come with a 12-month warranty so any faults after this has expired would not be covered under the warranty and any repairs required will be chargeable.

We will still be supplying access to our network services via the SIM card, and the SIM card can be placed inside another phone to access your paid-for allowances in the meantime.

Ryan

Userlevel 1

Hi Ryan. 

Thanks for your reply. 

As well as the manufacturers warranty, there is also the ‘Consumer Rights Act’. This means my mobile provider – in addition to providing a service to me, has to ensure the actual handset is of satisfactory quality and fit for purpose.

So again I argue, under The Consumer Rights Act, a phone sold with a two year contract should last longer than 15 months. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @Shamilt1,

Do you have a copy of the engineer report provided by Apple?

If the report states that the fault was inherent at the time of purchase, this is something we can reconsider.

If however, the report does not state that the fault was inherent, then we would not be able to offer a warranty repair.

The Consumer Rights Act states that after 6-months, the onus is on the customer to prove any fault was inherent upon purchase. 

If this isn’t an inherent fault, then we do not have an obligation to provide a free of charge warranty repair.

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

I was told it was a motherboard issue but they didn’t put it in writing.

What you say is 100% correct and once stores open again I may choose to get an independent engineers report- I’ll weigh that up as to whether it’s going to be worth it. 

Alternatively, seeing as that the handset you provided me has packed up prematurely, can’t you offer a discounted early upgrade or something?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I was told it was a motherboard issue but they didn’t put it in writing.

What you say is 100% correct and once stores open again I may choose to get an independent engineers report- I’ll weigh that up as to whether it’s going to be worth it. 

Alternatively, seeing as that the handset you provided me has packed up prematurely, can’t you offer a discounted early upgrade or something?

Hello @Shamilt1,

Apple should be able to provide you with this report, it may be a diagnostics report or something of the sort, but one that outlines the fault in writing. If the fault is described as being inherent, we’d be happy to look into this further.

We don’t support early upgrades on our network. Furthermore, the manufacturer is the one that produces the handsets, so iD Mobile can’t be held accountable as the reason for this becoming faulty. 

However, in any case a handset is faulty, we’d be sure to offer a warranty repair as per the manufacturer's warranty.

Mohammed

Userlevel 1

Apple should be able to provide you with this report, it may be a diagnostics report or something of the sort, but one that outlines the fault in writing. 
I asked for this and they said it is an internal report and they don’t release them. 

Furthermore, the manufacturer is the one that produces the handsets, so iD Mobile can’t be held accountable as the reason for this becoming faulty.

I think as you have already stated- if the fault was inherent it would be ID Mobile who would need to repair/ replace it and therefore would be accountable, not the manufacturer. 

Hi the same has just happened to my daughter iphone 6s got in touch with yourselves said nothing they can do with the covid 19 that not be able to send off for fixiing it only 10 month old what can I do about it as I'm still paying a contract on a phone that is in no longer use 

Userlevel 1

Hi the same has just happened to my daughter iphone 6s got in touch with yourselves said nothing they can do with the covid 19 that not be able to send off for fixiing it only 10 month old what can I do about it as I'm still paying a contract on a phone that is in no longer use 

If it’s only 10 months old ring Apple- it is still under warranty. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

If it’s only 10 months old ring Apple- it is still under warranty. 

Hey @Babsrosser77,

As @Shamilt1 advised, as it’s 10-month only it should be within the Warranty period so contacting Apple would be the best course of action as the Carphone Warehouse stores are currently closed so we can’t book in repairs this way.

I think as you have already stated- if the fault was inherent it would be ID Mobile who would need to repair/ replace it and therefore would be accountable, not the manufacturer. 

In the case of this replacement under the Consumer Rights Act, we as the retailer would provide this, however, only if the fault is inherent.

In regards to faults/repairs under the warranty, we are carrying this out on their behalf as Carphone Warehouse is an authorised repairer for Apple products.

Mohammed

I am having a similar issue with my iPhone, I am having issues with the keyboard, typing etc, I keep having to restart my phone in order for the keypad to respond  to me correctly, I am also having occasional issues charging my phone.I have had my phone nearly 24 months, I am eligible for an upgrade in February, is  it possible to get a replacement before February or some sort of repair?

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

HI @ogrady87 

We are sorry to hear about the issues you are facing with your phone. 

If you visit one of our state of the art Repair & Service Centres, we can often repair your phone by the very next day, but if not, we’ll get it back to you within 14 days, and often sooner.

https://www.teamknowhow.com/store-locator 

Just bring it into your nearest Team Knowhow Service Centre and we’ll give you an immediate quote, including all parts and labour, with no hidden charges to sting you down the line.

Apple phones only come with a 12-month warranty, therefore any repairs would be chargeable. 

When you are due to upgrade (within your upgrade period), you can log into your account online or through our app to view all phones available to you.

Michelle 

Why iD Mobile?