Solved

My order was declined. Why?

• 12 October 2018
  • 48 replies

Userlevel 1
Hi

Very frustrated ‘customer’ here. July 2018, My wife wanted a new iPhone SE through car phone warehouse and was declined for a £15 a month tariff with no explanation as staff are not informed of the reason. We have an excellent credit rating and there should be no reason to be declined. So I tried my luck to register the phone in my name and bingo! No problem. New phone. Happy wife.

2 months later, my phone was due an upgrade and I thought i would go for the same phone and tariff as my wife’s as we were happy with the phone,service and deal. I was declined even though I am a existing customer with again no bad credit history, good salary, mortgage no credit card debts etc, confused and annoyed I was told to come back and try again in 30 days after this application had expired.

So today I tried again and guess what , I was declined again!! Again no reason given, I have no financial issues whatsoever and stress I am a existing customer with my wife’s new phone with an option for a second line according to the cpw man.

Even more annoyed I asked for the ID customer service number to complain as the member of CPW agreed I had a strong case. So I rang the 7777 number.......many options but not one for actually speaking a customer service rep no matter which option you choose.

can anyone help me further either with a response from ID who can look into my contract application or at least a number where you can speak to a human not a automated service.

i only want to buy your phone ! I don’t understand why I was declined.

Dave
icon

Best answer by Michelle 11 January 2021, 14:59

View original

48 replies

Userlevel 1
Thanks for your reply but I went the same phone with a different provider and was accepted in an instant. Your credit rating system has cost you a customer and needs reviewing in my opinion.
Userlevel 1

This nonsense is still happening. 

i even went as far as paying for a credit check with the same company ID use, guess what? clean and serene.
i have lived at my address over 5 years
on the electoral register
no CCJ/IVAs

perfect payment history

i even went as far as calling Equifax to get some help from them, thir customer care person spent aroud to mins with me and went through everything. there is nothing on my credit report that should throw up a red flag. the most interesting part of the conversation was when they told me that this process is automated ID dont check these, it is cone by a computer, literally “computer says no”

Contacting your “customer service” team is a joke, they are not helpful, i was told by your operative i failed the credit check and i would not beable to reapply. 

I need this resolved and i need answers. i have a credit report from YOUR provider that says my credit is good, i have no bad debt and i pay on time so what the hell is happening. 

The next email i send will be you the ombudsman that regulates you and to every single consumer rights organisation i can find. The christmas holidays are right around the corner, i am single and we are in a pandemic, i have nothing but time. There is history of this ineptitude going back years on this forum alone, you are negatively impacting our financial history unjustly, this has to stop.

Userlevel 1

I have spoken to Equifax already Tom, and they have confirmed that there is absolutely nothing on my credit history that would give cause for concern, in fact quite the opposite.  iDMobile have suggested throughout this process that Equifax make the decision, and there is nothing further that iDMobile can do.  After escalating the issue with Equifax I have found out that this is a lie - you will not even share with Equifax your decision making process, so there is no way that they could make the decision.  Something is wrong with your internal processes, and has been for some time.  You have been made aware, but continue to do nothing about the situation, whilst continuing to mislead your customers.  Ombudsman & Alex Baldock are now aware ….

Userlevel 1
Kevin,

The biggest issue I personally have is the way iD give their potential customers the idea that something is not acceptable with their credit history to allow the contract to proceed.
See below for standard response I received:

Sorry, but we are unable to process your order (reference)
Unfortunately you didn't meet the credit check criteria required for the contract you requested.
As we couldn't connect you on the contract you requested, no money/payment has been taken from your account at this point.
We know this isn't the news you wanted, but all is not lost - why not check out our flexible, great value Pay-as-you-go SIMs? You can buy one without going through a credit check, and our big value bundles start at just £5.
Your Credit Application
For your information, here is a brief summary of how we process each credit application we receive:
  • We use various credit reference agencies to obtain information relating to your address, identity and personal credit history.
  • We then assess this information against set criteria.
The decision to accept your credit application is based on whether your credit history meets these criteria.

Regards,
The iD Team

The first thing iD should be focused on during this establishment of better guidance on contracts, how many etc etc, should be the rewording of the response to customers like myself making it clear that it is a policy decision not to accept multiple contracts and by no means reflects credit standing.

I'm sure that you can appreciate that receiving a statement like your current response above, only raises I'll feeling towards your company.

Furthermore I would expect NO negative impact on my credit file as it should be clarified that the cancelled contracts by iD are nothing to do with my financial history.

DavyG
Userlevel 1

I have spoken to Equifax already Tom, and they have confirmed that there is absolutely nothing on my credit history that would give cause for concern, in fact quite the opposite.  iDMobile have suggested throughout this process that Equifax make the decision, and there is nothing further that iDMobile can do.  After escalating the issue with Equifax I have found out that this is a lie - you will not even share with Equifax your decision making process, so there is no way that they could make the decision.  Something is wrong with your internal processes, and has been for some time.  You have been made aware, but continue to do nothing about the situation, whilst continuing to mislead your customers.  Ombudsman & Alex Baldock are now aware ….

Nice one Matt, this company is a joke that appears to use bs credit score card to allow them to renege on their false advertising offers. I think I'll join you with contacting the Ombudsman.

Userlevel 1

Hey, guess what, this BS is still happening 4 years after this thread was started - what an absolute joke!  Existing customer with very strong credit score, turned down for 2nd phone for daughter.  Accepted elsewhere within minutes, and will certainly not be renewing when my own contract finishes in December.  ID Mobile have an issue, but don’t have the ability, or more likely the desire, to sort it out. What a shame, won’t end well ….

Userlevel 1

You will need ‘deadlock letter’ to go to Ombudsman.  I put in my official written complaint a couple of weeks ago, but have yet to hear.  iD mobile make it as difficult as possible to complain, so don’t hold your breath for a response, but they certainly won’t stop me.  In the meantime I took phone contract out with Fonehouse, which took minutes to accept, and who have been fine so far in case this is useful.  Good luck if you do decide to pursue further, I for one feel they should be held to account over this issue.

Userlevel 1

Thanks all. After my online and inshore refusal yesterday for ' failed credit checks I came home and looked at affordable mobiles who said the black color not in stock for the next 3 weeks. Offered alternative colors. I applied within 6 hrs of id refusal. 

My request and credit check already cleared with other provider and the phone is being delivered tomorrow (Monday). Clearly, there is a big issue with id that needs sorting via regulatory body. I have little knowledge in this field. But have worked out that there is problem with id and not necessarily customers or credits.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Rishi,

We’ll be sure to pass this feedback on to be looked into internally.

Sorry that your credit check wasn’t accepted on this occasion.

Kash

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @912 Matt,

We are sorry to hear that.

The credit check isn’t based off the credit score as we would check various things.

Unfortunately we can’t advise the exact reason for the check failing but you can obtain a copy of your credit report from a credit reference agency.

Kash

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @912 Matt,

We are aware of some issues that occurred with Royal Mail which have now been resolved.

You can either raise a complaint via the post or contact us via one of the other methods at the link below:

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/complaints-procedure

If you would like us to raise a complaint via the Community. Please let us know and we can PM you for further information.

Kash

Userlevel 1

Thanks Kash, I hold a senior role in Finance, and receive monthly updates on my standing from the major credit reference agencies as a result, as my role requires that my own finances are clean as a whistle.  I therefore know for certain that there is no issue with my credit report or my credit score.  Therefore, I would be grateful if you wouldn’t keep inferring that there is an issue.  The only reason for declining my order therefore is due to some sort of failure in your internal procedures; J can’t prove this yet, but am pretty sure that this relates to an existing customer applying for a second phone from you.  If you check your records you will see that I have been a model customer, never having missed a payment, which I would expect to be a positive.  However, I can see from the message boards that applying for a second phone with you seems to cause an issue.  You don’t seem able or willing to remedy this issue, as it’s been going on for over 4 years, and instead you provide misleading information suggesting your customers have a credit reference issue when they don’t.  Unfortunately this time you’ve upset the wrong person, and I have already taken steps to escalate this to the Ombudsman.  Appreciate this issue is above your pay grade so please don’t take this personally, but I won’t be fobbed off with the standard line that you’ve trotted out about not being able to tell me more, as this simply isn’t good enough.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi @DavyG 

We can check the notes on your account to see if there are details confirming the reason for the rejection. 

We’ll send you a private message on here so that we can verify your details. 

To view the message sent.  Simply click on your profile icon in the top right, then go to your private messages. 

Thanks. 

Michelle 

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

That’s not how credit checks work…

Every lender will have their own criteria that customers must meet in order to pass a credit check.

An example:

• Lender A might have a policy that any customer with three or more credit cards gets automatically rejected even if their credit report and all three credit cards are in good standing.
  • Lender B might have a policy that allows any customer four more credit cards gets automatically rejected even if their credit report and all three credit cards are in good standing.

That is why you can fail a credit check with one lender and pass with another (for an identical product or service).

What harms a credit score the most is the hard searches shown on a credit report. The more you have done in a short period of time can look like desperation to lenders and so you get rejected.

So all this “my credit score is excellent” or I have a credit score of “999” means nothing.

Userlevel 1

Is this some sort of a joke? 
Been declined even though I have excellent credit score.

Finally managed to contact someone via chat, provided order number of declined request, in the hope they could resolve it…. no chance, they recommend trying again.

Queried that trying again could negatively affect my credit score if it is declined again. No help!

Was actually considering moving all of business phones to idmobile, around 100 or more, if this turned out to be a good purchase experience but thus far this company seems like some kind of a joke.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @912 Matt 

As the above mentions we can’t advise the exact reason for a credit check failure, we’d recommend speaking to your credit provider for a credit report. We don’t know the details of your cancelled order specifically as we’re speaking on a public forum.

I’m sorry you feel upset by what we’ve said, however if your order has failed it’s credit check the above is what we can advise.

Tom 

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

ID Mobile is for personal use, not business and they only allow a maximum of two accounts in your name.

Userlevel 1

That’s all fine, I was just explaining my long term intentions with regards to business.

But that does not explain why I was declined for my personal application.

I am *not* an existing customer.

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

No company will tell you why you failed their credit check. Also worth mentioning that your credit report score doesn’t mean anything, each business will have their own criteria that must be met.

ID Mobile do two checks as far as I am aware, an Identify check and a credit check. It’s possible that you failed their identity check? Maybe the information you supplied didn’t match those they used to verify your identity.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6
Hi Dave, sorry to hear that we've not been able to accept your application in this case. There can be a number of reasons in which an order can be declined and not just due to credit rating.

We'd recommend that all the details used during your order are fully accurate and any payment methods are linked to the same address as that provided for the order.

You can call on 0800 049 0250 to speak with our Sales Team for a future application, but it's unlikely that the decision made in this case can be reversed.
-Phil
Userlevel 4
Badge +10
Hi @Smac, @DavyG

In most cases it would be a maximum of 2 accounts per named account holder.

When applying for any line with ID Mobile, more is taken into account than simply the credit check alone.

Admittedly, it is a bit of a grey area when it comes to trying to pinpoint exactly what the refusal was based on, and no clear result is given in the notes by our systems that make things easier for our Customer Services Team to direct you with.

Could I ask what the 2nd lines you were both looking to get where? Did they include phones on contracts? or where they for a specifc SIM only plan?

We're going to pass this feedback on to some of our colleagues behind the scenes to try and find out some more on this subject. Our goal ultimately is to help eliminate the vague nature of responses on this issue, and provide better guidance for people in this predicament.

Kevin
Userlevel 4
Badge +10
Hello again @DavyG @Smac

We've had an interim reply from our fishing for information.

We've been told that usually, only 1 new contract (with a phone) would usually be able to go through in a 6 month period (in an individuals name). Though there can be some inconsistencies with that.

However, music to our ears is that this is apparently already an ongoing thing that our team behind the scenes have been investigating this already and it's one of several points of interest that as a company we're looking to get a more black and white set of rules on to help customers such as yourselves and others.

So whilst we're sorry we can't alleviate these troubles right now. We're confident and happy at least to know this grey area has not gone unnoticed by those that can make things happen for such an issue.

Kevin
Userlevel 4
Badge +10
You've both made some great points there @Smac, @DavyG

I've raised the question about the credit score issue, and should hopefully have an update on this within 1-2 working days. I'll come back to this post by Tuesday of next week with the outcomes there.

Hopefully it'll simply be that our systems rejected the order before it got through to the stage of having to check your credit file etc, but again, we'll get an answer on that.

Separately too. We've raised the concerns over the wording of the automated emails that get sent out upon these rejections. Whilst we can't undo the frustrations caused to this point, we are indeed sorry for the turn of events and the efforts made to get answers on this. Ultimately, this has been a learning experience for everyone, and it's only natural that we'd want to learn from that and improve from that on our side, for everyone's benefit.

We'll catch up again next week. For now, have a great weekend.

Kevin
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Do you already have contracts with us @Smac and purchasing an additional SIM?

There is a limit to how many contracts can be taken out per account holder and it may be that there was a failed security check preventing further orders rather than a failed credit check.

Mohammed
Davec, both my wife and I are in exactly the same position as yours, with a no explanation decline for an additional family mobile contract and us both having impeccable credit records and excellent finances. In attempting to speak to id mobile we have received very conflicting and inaccurate advice yet still no resolution. What is disappointing is that my initial no quibble accepted application and early good service resulted in me recommending id mobile to many others. I am now keen to just see out my contract and get rid. Id mobile you appear to have a real problem area here!

Why iD Mobile?