Question

Not getting 5G in a coverage area with a Pixel 5 5G

Userlevel 1

I’m not getting 5G in either 5G coverage areas in Birmingham or London. I have a supported device (Pixel 5 5G), and have 5G preferred configured in the settings. What could be causing it?

This topic has been closed for comments

25 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hello @Flowwwie 

The only reason you may not have access to our 5G network using this device is that it’s dependent on your geographical location.

As we continue to rollout and expand our 5G network, more and more locations will gain access to it. 

Please can you confirm your postcode and we’ll check the coverage within your area?

Thanks

Michelle 

iD Mobile 

Userlevel 1

I'm having the same issue: Got a Pixel 5 but can't connect to 5g even when the coverage map shows 5g as available. I tried multiple locations in London, and even switched to a Three SIM which immediately connected to 5g at the same location.

Support told me that 5g should work for me, mentioned that not all Three towers are available for id mobile customers, exchanged the SIM but still no luck at any location.

Can someone confirm if they were able to connect to 5g on a Pixel 5 with id mobile?

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @til90,

Are you able to confirm if this is a new issue for yourself, or has the handset never once been able to connect to 5G?

Have you tried manually connecting to the network via the handsets network settings?

Will

Userlevel 1

I'm having the same issue: Got a Pixel 5 but can't connect to 5g even when the coverage map shows 5g as available. I tried multiple locations in London, and even switched to a Three SIM which immediately connected to 5g at the same location.

Support told me that 5g should work for me, mentioned that not all Three towers are available for id mobile customers, exchanged the SIM but still no luck at any location.

Can someone confirm if they were able to connect to 5g on a Pixel 5 with id mobile?

I’ve completed the same steps, exchanged SIM with a new ID one and still only 4G. Support says it should work.

Userlevel 1

Hey @Will ,

This has always happened to me since switching to idmobile. As soon as I put the idmobile SIM into the phone, it only connects to 4g. As soon as I take it out and put in a Three or Vodafone SIM, the phone connects to 5g (I have 5g coverage on both networks at my current location).

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @til90,

Please can you let us know the postcode of where you have tried to use the 5G connection and we’ll take a look?

@Flowwwie I don’t suppose you have tried the SIM card inside another 5G device?

Ryan

Userlevel 1

Hi @til90,

Please can you let us know the postcode of where you have tried to use the 5G connection and we’ll take a look?

I tested outdoors at the following postcodes and got no 5G, only 4G:

CM24 1QW

E8 2JP

E8 1JH

N1C 4DQ

N1 5ET

Userlevel 1

Hi @til90,

@Flowwwie I don’t suppose you have tried the SIM card inside another 5G device?

Ryan

I don’t have another 5G device to test it in.
I’ve also tried in:
SW18 5RJ
B15 1HN

Same as til90, only ever had a 4G connection

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @Flowwwie and @til90,

We’ll shortly send each of you a Private Message to your Community account, so we can discuss your issue further.

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’.

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview

We’ll see you there.

Will

Userlevel 1

I'm having the same issue. 5G has not worked at all since I got my pixel 5. I have checked I'm in a 5G area but still no connection to 5G, only 4G.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @neil300n,

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account, so we can discuss your issue further.

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’.

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview

We’ll see you there.

Will

I'm having the same issue. 5G has not worked at all since I got my pixel 5. I have checked I'm in a 5G area but still no connection to 5G, only 4G.

I have been on the chat to iD and Three.

iD said “Nikita at 12:13, Aug 8: Thanks, for waiting, Christopher. Upon checking the account, I can see that there is currently no 5G and only 4G as there has been an unplanned outage in the area on the 5G network. There is currently some planned work being done now on this. So, for now, please do witch to 4G coverage as this should be perfectly fine. I am really sorry for the confusion and inconveniences caused by this,

Christopher at 12:14, Aug 8: That doesn't explain why I have never seen a 5G signal either at TR7 2TB or in Manchester or Stockport or any other place.  finally - how long is the 5G outage supposed to last in my area
Nikita at 12:17, Aug 8: I do see that this is since 27.07.2021.”

THREE said: “17:16Vinayak Trust me, your satisfaction is of most importance to us while you use our services.
17:16Vinayak http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Network/Coverage is the link where you can check and confirm where 5G is already live.
17:16chris iD mobile told me the outage has been since 27.07.2021
17:17Vinayak So sorry for the incorrect information shared by them.

I can’t understand why iD or Three don’t have the same network status?

Anyway, can anyone HELP me use the 5G plan that I am paying for and which was the reason I purchased a Pixel 5?

Thanks

Chris

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @caprice63,

Could you advise if 5G is enabled to auto in your network settings?

Kash

Hello Kash,

Yes 5G is the selected as the preferred option in the settings.

I’ve been through all the settings with iD and Three on their chats.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @caprice63,

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account so we can discuss your issue further.

We’ll see you there.

Kash

Quick question:  Did anyone else get a message saying

“We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account so we can discuss your issue further……...”

and then get no other communication on the PM?

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hello @caprice63,

I can see that the message was sent to you shortly after @Kash replied to your post and we can also see that you have since replied so we will be back in touch very soon. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Ryan

Userlevel 1

For anyone viewing this now I have an update from support with a definitive answer from Google:

5G will not be available whilst using their device [Pixel 5] on our network [iD] until the middle of October

For anyone viewing this now I have an update from support with a definitive answer from Google:

5G will not be available whilst using their device [Pixel 5] on our network [iD] until the middle of October

That’s only IF Google issues a s/w update and it works.  Don’t hold your breath.

Note:
The google Pixel Phone Help page Understand 5G network compatibility & roaming on Pixel phones - Pixel Phone Help (google.com) does not show Three/iD as being able to support 5G roaming.
Other forums show this problem being over 10 months old.
Pixel 5 - 5G Certification | XDA Forums (xda-developers.com)
Android Police reported this last year Pixel 5 and 4a 5G don't support 5G SA right now, but they will next year (androidpolice.com)
Google Pixel 5 5G network not connecting: A 5G phone with no 5G - Insider Paper

I really can't understand why iD tells its customers that 5G is available on Pixel 5 when it clearly in not able to support it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @caprice63,

This has been updated to reflect this.

If you have any further queries, you can reply via PM and we’ll assist.

Mohammed

BEWARE

Just in case anyone is waiting for the s/w upgrade you may wish to know that if iD have offered you a credit (1 month or other) for the inconvenience of not having the 5G that you purchased and you accepted it - they will  “not be able to add any future credits or refunds (unless you paid an upfront cost) if you do choose to return your purchase following Google's promised October update”.  They also state “The phone is still fit for purpose and still has access to calls, texts and data albeit not a 5G connection just yet”.

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @caprice63,

The information in your message is correct and we are sorry if you have found issue with that. You can choose to return your purchase now instead of waiting, as offered via PM, due to a mistake with the device listing.

Ryan

BEWARE

If you are returning your phone then iD mobile will tell you: “As a gesture of good will, we will also refund you £5 for each month you had the handset for (a total of 2 in this case, as the handset was purchased on 09/06/21) once the return has been closed.”

They expect you to pay for a service you did not get.

My previous contract was £3.99 pm so they will be charging me £20 pm (after the “good will” gesture) for the inconvenience they have caused me by them misrepresenting a product in order to elicit my purchase of the defective Pixel 5 phone.

Needless to say, I will be raising the issue with Trading Standards and making a complaint to the ombudsman.  

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @caprice63,

We’re sorry you feel that way about our resolution. You did get the service though, just not one aspect of it, which as we’ve advised, will be available from October. We’re not saying there was no error on our part here, that’s acknowledged in the 2 separate gestures of good will provided in either option taken (keep or return the phone). We believe we have made a fair and reasonable offer, and won’t be revising it at this time.

Will

Why iD Mobile?