Question

Not receiving SMS from automated services

Hello, 

So I have just moved to ID from Vodafone and ported my number. 

It all seems to have gone through fine (the app has my correct number). 

However, I am not getting any automated text messages. (I do get texts from friends and contacts)

I asked the question on Reddit and it seems that it might be short codes are turned off for my account, but I have no idea how to get it turned on as ID don’t seem to have a call number for this sort of thing.

Can anyone please offer any advice?

This topic has been closed for comments

10 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Number ports from Vodafone to iD seem to take a day or two to ‘settle’ down. Then everything starts working properly again.

That said, your port might not have been completed properly, but if you can make & take calls and send & receive text messages, it might be just an account issue.

There isn’t any telephone support with iD Mobile - it’s online only.

To privately discuss your account with an iD customer service agent, use their Live Chat service between 9am - 8pm weekdays (9am - 6pm weekends & bank holidays).

To ‘chat’ online with an iD agent, just type “talk to a person” after you’re connected to chat - this’ll avoid the 24/7 chat-bot.

Good luck @TheRealTomTom

Thanks, yes it took a while to come across (I made a call on one handset and it was my number but when called it went to the other).

It appears to now be the very specific setting at their end for short codes to be allowed

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

What automated services aren’t working?

What automated services aren’t working?

So I was trying to use my CC and the stage where they send the authentication code that I enter to confirm I am making the process, never arrived. Same with WhatsApp the other day when moving the account to the new handset (but they also have a phone call option, so I didn’t think anything of it).

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay thanks @TheRealTomTom - I’m able to receive these security authorisation codes from WhatsApp, gov.uk, Nectar, my banks, et cetera.

I don’t have any of these organisations as contacts, but their SMS messages appear under the organisation’s name in my messages app - not sure where a short code comes into play.

One thing well worth a try is:

1. Put your phone in Airplane Mode
  2. Turn off your phone.
  3. Remove the SIM for at least 15 minutes
  4. Pop the SIM in your phone and power on
  5. Turn off Airplane Mode.

Some banks allow you to use their mobile banking app to complete the security authorisation.

Anyway good luck.

Okay thanks @TheRealTomTom - I’m able to receive these security authorisation codes from WhatsApp, gov.uk, Nectar, my banks, et cetera.

I don’t have any of these organisations as contacts, but their SMS messages appear under the organisation’s name in my messages app - not sure where a short code comes into play.

One thing well worth a try is:

1. Put your phone in Airplane Mode
  2. Turn off your phone.
  3. Remove the SIM for at least 15 minutes
  4. Pop the SIM in your phone and power on
  5. Turn off Airplane Mode.

Some banks allow you to use their mobile banking app to complete the security authorisation.

Anyway good luck.

Just tried this and nothing.

It’s also a credit card that does not have the authenticator app or card reader

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Sorry this didn’t work @TheRealTomTom.

This type of issue usually resolves itself after a couple of days, although it could be a network related issue.

You should use the iD Mobile Live Chat service and ask the iD agent to get the tech team to verify everything's OK with your account, following the number port.

When using the chat service, type “talk to a person” to avoid the 24/7 bot and ‘speak’ to a real person.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

@Gp12 had a similar issue after porting to iD from Vodafone (see their “mfa and otp” post).

The issue miraculously fixed itself after a few days.
🤞

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

You could try forcing your device to use bog-standard SMS for messaging.

If you’re using an iPhone turn iMessage OFF.

It’s more complicated for an Android device, but the Google “How to turn chat features off” article should help.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @TheRealTomTom, using a Pixel 6 - the Google “How to turn chat features off” article should help.

Why iD Mobile?