Solved

Number ported but wrong number showing on iMessage

Userlevel 1
My existing number has successfully ported over, however when replying to texts from my contacts it is always received from the temporary number ID mobile provided. Any idea why this might be the case when my existing number that I ported over shows up when calling out, rather than the temporary number. Do I have to do something in order for the temporary number to be forgotten?
icon

Best answer by Pearl_c6 16 June 2020, 12:38

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 3
Which type of phone do you have? I used to have an iPhone and had this issue. You might need to sign out of iMessage and manually enter the number you have moved over. 😊

Nikita
Userlevel 1
Will give that a try as it’s an iPhone I have.

Thanks.
Userlevel 4
Yeah that worked for me on mine and its an iPhone. Fingers crossed it works for you mate!

Jase
Userlevel 2
Badge +6
This should get things sorted for you, you can update the number in Settings> Messages> Send and Receive.

-Phil
Userlevel 1
All sorted folks. Appreciate the help.
Userlevel 1

Hi. I'm getting the same problem. I have an  Android phone, and can't find where to go to change the setting.

Looking for Settings > Messages > Send and Receive but can't  see anything like that. I've looked at the phone settings, and also gone to Messages and looked at the settings there, no luck in either.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hi @darcmarc 

Welcome to the iD Community.

We can get this looked into for you.

I’ll get someone to pick this up for you and they’ll contact you via PM shortly.

Pearl

Userlevel 1

Hi I'm having the same problem with my android phone, Samsung galaxy s10. Some of my texts are sending with the temp phone number. How do I change this please? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Guest EG Julie,

Could you please remove the SIM and re-insert it. Once you have done this please manually select the iD Mobile network from your network settings. 

Is the correct number showing for receiving texts and making/receiving calls.

Kash

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hi I'm having the same problem with my android phone, Samsung galaxy s10. Some of my texts are sending with the temp phone number. How do I change this please? 

Hello @Guest EG Julie,

As @Kash suggested, it might be worth restarting your phone.

1) Power down your phone
2) Remove the SIM and clean the contacts
3) Wait 15 minutes
4) Reinsert the SIM and power the phone back on.

If you’re still having issues, try performing a network reset.

For Android

Settings > General management or System > Reset > Reset network settings

The network reset will delete all saved Wi-Fi networks from your phone, so you'll need to set these up again.

Anyway, good luck.

Userlevel 1

What does clean the contacts mean?

I'm trying everything and it's not working, I feel like just going back to Vodafone, I've never had this issue before... 😐 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay, don’t worry about cleaning the contacts. Just try steps 1) to 4), without cleaning the contacts.

After step 4), can you check the following:

Settings > About Phone (or About Device) > Status (or Phone Identity) > SIM Status

Or something similar - it’s a long time since I’ve had an Android device - your number should be displayed there.

Anyway, good luck.

Userlevel 1

Sorted

Go into apps / messages / message settings and select default messaging type. If this is set to chat, change to texts and multi media. 

Hey presto 🤗

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

That’s great!
Although If you do ever change it back, you’ll probably have the same issue again.

This new setting in the Google Messaging app can cause problems when you change the device or mobile number if it is not set to SMS and MMS - @Stephen Mott had a similar problem, which he fixed as follows:

Just a quick update, it was the chat messages option causing the issue... I had to switch my old phone back on and disable chat messages on there, then on my new phone I had to enable chat messages and verify my phone number! This was the issue, the ported number was still associated with the old phone so once I disabled chat messages on there it allowed the ported number to be used on the new device for chat messages. Hope this makes sense.

There’s more in this Google article: https://messages.google.com/disable-chat.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Glad it’s sorted now @Guest EG Julie.

And thanks as always @andewhite for sharing that tip too, I know from experience it’s very helpful!

Will

Why iD Mobile?