Solved

OTP not coming through from my bank

• 16 January 2021
  • 46 replies

I am not receiving OTP messages from my bank, this in only since I changed to ID MOBILE, I have verified with my bank that they are being sent, this is a network issue, your company has blocked PUSH MESSAGING.

Can you advise your course of action please, if you cannot resolve this issue I’ll be forced to cancel my contract as it’s not fit for purpose.

Regards

Steve

icon

Best answer by Mohammed 18 January 2021, 13:24

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

46 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Does this work,

Glad to hear that it’s sorted.

If you require further assistance, please let us know.

Kash

i have followed all of you’re previous advice posts regarding not recieved OTP messages. All my normal texts and calls work fine, I just can’t recieve OTP.

i have logged in and out of I message, face time etc. i turned my phone off for 10 hours, nothing works.

it has to be a technical issue that needs sorting on you’re end

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Lj2022,

I can see that we have sent you a PM and we will assist you further there.

Kash

I two am not able to receive OTP messages (this time from HMRC) and need some guidance on how to fix this. These are not premium rate messages even though the carrier being used by HMRC has a premium type number. Need advice on how to allow these messages to come through.

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @Brian M,

We are sorry to hear that. We will send you a private message now in case you have not already spoken to us via Live Chat, Facebook or Twitter.

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’. Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview

Ryan

Same thing is happening for me. Switched over from vodafone. Not getting any OTPs from bank via text. I tried registering my bank app and had to use my father's number to get the passcode so its definitely not the banks problem.

I think it'll happen with most national companies that require verification codes, but as yet not sure until I need to use them. 

What was the fix? I've tried live chat but I don't think they understood. Please help!

It took a long time to get resolved and to be honest I’m not 100% sure what fixed it. However, I suspect it is because when my ID Mobile account was set up, the person setting it up spelt my name wrong. It is possible that this cause the text from HMRC to be either not sent or not received. Shortly after I got ID Mobile to correct my name, the OTPs started coming through. I suggest you double check the name the bank knows you by and the name that ID Mobile know you by.

I've checked my name on my iD account, it's correct and matches with my bank. 

I've tried switching the phone off for 10 min as suggested in other posts. 

I've just tried logging into a shopping website that requires a verification code to check if its any big company and that didn't come through either. So looks like it's not just restricted to banks. iD mobile please help! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @Priya_m,

It’s not related to the name.

When your number switches over, there could be an issue the OTP codes not being received.

We need to check with Three UK whether it’s being received by them but not pushed over to your SIM in which case they’ll refresh this and it should work.

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account, so we can discuss your issue further.

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’.

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview

We’ll see you there.

Mohammed

Also having this exact same Issue having moves over from vodafone. No OTP messages coming through from banking apps, WhatsApp etc. This is really important to run my business. Please could someone assist

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Also having this exact same Issue having moves over from vodafone. No OTP messages coming through from banking apps, WhatsApp etc. This is really important to run my business. Please could someone assist

When did you switch to iD?

FYI, iD Mobile’s term & conditions exclude business use, which might limit the level of support you get from iD.

See paragraph 5.9 in section “5. Your responsibilities”, of the current terms & conditions online at https://www.idmobile.co.uk/legal/terms-and-conditions.
🤞

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @James Speight 

Sorry to hear you’re having issues with OTP messages, have you had any OTP texts or is this just concerning certain OTP texts?

As @andewhite says, please note that iD Mobile SIMs are solely for personal use as mentioned in the T&C’s!

Tom

Hi I am also having a problem with getting OTP codes from my bank - this is just for personal items I would like to purchase - but simply not arriving.

This is only happening since I transferred to ID - I get other text messages, but no messages from Tesco nor Paypal…

Please help

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Does this work,

Glad to hear that this is resolved.

Please feel free to get back to us if you require further assistance.

Kash

Hi @Does this work,

Glad to hear that this is resolved.

Please feel free to get back to us if you require further assistance.

Kash

Huh does what work? 

Hello,

I’m also having problems getting OTP (from Santander at the moment).

I’ve had the same phone / number with IDMobile for some years. I have received many OTP messages from this source previously (last one was a couple of weeks ago). 

I’ve tried rebooting my phone. Help would be appreciated.

David

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @david70,

Are you having any issues with any other OTP’s?

It may be worth double checking that Santander have the correct number.

Kash

Hi @Kash ,

As I mentioned in my post, Santander have sent many OTP codes previously and I haven’t changed number. In fact, the OTP codes I said I was having problems with a week ago all came through after a couple of days.

I have previously also had problems with PayPal and HMRC OTP codes, either taking hours or days to appear, or not appearing at all. Since they expire after 10 minutes, this causes problems.

It could be a general slowness to receive text messages, as I received a text message on Sunday to say that I had received a voicemail the previous Friday. So perhaps it’s a text message problem, not just an OTP problem.

I usually use WiFi calling due to no phone signal at home, in case that has anything to do with it. But I do receive calls and texts via Wifi calling, it’s just the delay / non delivery of OTP or maybe all text messages that causes problems.

David

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @david70,

I think the issue here is with WiFi Calling and a possible delay. I did have a customer once who was having issues with receiving OTPs over WiFi but other services worked fine.

Try turning off WiFi when you’re in a different area that has coverage and request an OTP to see if that works.

Mohammed

Hello,

OTP does work over WiFi calling. It’s just that sometimes (not always) it is delayed too long to be useful. For example, the last two weeks has been fine - I’ve been getting OTP over Wifi Calling promptly from multiple sources. But today, I’ve had to abandon online Christmas shopping because the OTP from PayPal isn’t arriving.

OTP is usually valid for 10 minutes or so and I am more than ten minutes away from a phone signal, so going out to pick up an OTP (if it isn’t delayed regardless of connection method) isn’t really an option. The OTP would expire before I could use it.

Why is it that OTP’s (or perhaps text messages in general) are sometimes delayed but all other connections work continuously?

DC

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @david70 

We wouldn’t be too sure why it’d take long, we send the text through to you as soon as we receive it on our side, some OTP’s may just take longer to reach us (then to reach you) than others, we wouldn’t have a concrete answer on this unfortunately. 

Tom

Why iD Mobile?