Solved

phone with split personality! (Different number after port on texts)

• 27 September 2019
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
I’m guessing that this is a porting issue but......
I just took out a new contract and got a PAC code from my old network to keep my old number.
I got a text from ID saying my number was transferred and it shows up on my dashboard when I log into ID online or with the app.
When I make calls it’s all rosey, my name and transferred number show on the recipients phone, and I can call my phone with the transferred number. Texting on the other hand.....they are sent and received from the original number that the SIM card had, and that number also shows up in settings associated with text messages and my various ‘i’ accounts, and also on the details of my phone under the devices associated with my iCloud account.
As it’s attempting to use two numbers on one phone I can only assume that the porting of the number hasn’t worked properly unless anyone knows better!
Thanks,
Dan
icon

Best answer by Gregor 27 September 2019, 20:50

Hey @shoozpup

This is actually very easy to fix. It is very common issue with iMessage on apple device.

@Mohammed have posted very good tutorial how to fix it over here.

I will copy it below as well.

The issue here isn't due to iD Mobile but down to the handset you're using. It's an issue caused by Apple handsets.When you port your number in, Apple handsets don't seem to automatically update the number. This causes one of few issues which can be as follows:

• Not being able to send out texts on iMessage

• Messages saying "not delivered" but actually being delivered

• Wrong number showing on texts

There could potentially be other issues.

The fix however, should be very easy.

As you'll see in this topic: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/ios-27/number-has-been-ported-but-can-t-imessage-30268

You'll need to update the number in iMessage:

1) Try turning off iMessage (Settings > Messages)

2) then restart your phone (by pressing and holding the on/off button)

3) tap Settings > Phone > My Number and confirm that it is correct.

4) If it is not correct, please enter the correct number)

5) then turn iMessage back to On (Settings > Messages) 6) go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive and see if the correct number is displayed under “Start new conversations from:”.

We're expecting this to resolve the issue so I'll mark the topic as resolved preemptively however, if this does not resolve the issue, just let us know here and I'll un-mark this for you and investigate.

Mohammed
View original

5 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9
Hey @shoozpup

This is actually very easy to fix. It is very common issue with iMessage on apple device.

@Mohammed have posted very good tutorial how to fix it over here.

I will copy it below as well.

The issue here isn't due to iD Mobile but down to the handset you're using. It's an issue caused by Apple handsets.When you port your number in, Apple handsets don't seem to automatically update the number. This causes one of few issues which can be as follows:

• Not being able to send out texts on iMessage
• Messages saying "not delivered" but actually being delivered
• Wrong number showing on texts

There could potentially be other issues.
The fix however, should be very easy.

As you'll see in this topic: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/ios-27/number-has-been-ported-but-can-t-imessage-30268
You'll need to update the number in iMessage:
1) Try turning off iMessage (Settings > Messages)
2) then restart your phone (by pressing and holding the on/off button)
3) tap Settings > Phone > My Number and confirm that it is correct.
4) If it is not correct, please enter the correct number)
5) then turn iMessage back to On (Settings > Messages) 6) go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive and see if the correct number is displayed under “Start new conversations from:”.
We're expecting this to resolve the issue so I'll mark the topic as resolved preemptively however, if this does not resolve the issue, just let us know here and I'll un-mark this for you and investigate.
Mohammed
Userlevel 1
Worked like a charm, thank you so much!
Maybe I should go and tell apple, they had no clue 🤔
thanks again 👍
Userlevel 7
Badge +9
Hey @shoozpup,

Glad that @Hikari was able to get you to the right place.
Within a few lines I was just going to suggest iMessage could be the likely culprit.

Sadly out of our control as it's the device not updating the number but very pleased to hear it's all fine now!

Mohammed

It’s still not fixed mine. 🤷🏼‍♀️ Mine still only shows my original number and email. What are the other options?

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Hi @Patsawyer 

Are you using an iPhone?  If not, what phone are you using?

If you are using an iPhone, have you tried all of the following:

Could you go to Settings > [Your Profile] > Name, Numbers, Emails
and then ensure within there that the correct number is showing?

You may possibly need to log out of iCloud or Apple ID in order to make the change.

Another method that has worked in the past for others is as follows...
Turn off the iPhone > Take out your SIM
Turn the iPhone back on (no SIM) > Leave on for a minute or so.
Pop the iD Mobile SIM back in the iPhone > Turn back on.

====

Please can you try to follow these steps to see if it helps with your non-iPhone SMS messages?

1)    Turn off iMessage (Settings > Messages)
2)    Restart your phone (by pressing and holding the on/off button)
3)    Tap Settings > Phone > My Number and confirm that it is correct. 
4)    If it is not correct, please enter the correct number
5)    Turn iMessage back to On (Settings > Messages)
6)    Finally, go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive and see if the correct number is displayed under “Start new conversations from:”.