Solved

phone with split personality! (Different number after port on texts)

• 27 September 2019
  • 27 replies

Userlevel 1
I’m guessing that this is a porting issue but......
I just took out a new contract and got a PAC code from my old network to keep my old number.
I got a text from ID saying my number was transferred and it shows up on my dashboard when I log into ID online or with the app.
When I make calls it’s all rosey, my name and transferred number show on the recipients phone, and I can call my phone with the transferred number. Texting on the other hand.....they are sent and received from the original number that the SIM card had, and that number also shows up in settings associated with text messages and my various ‘i’ accounts, and also on the details of my phone under the devices associated with my iCloud account.
As it’s attempting to use two numbers on one phone I can only assume that the porting of the number hasn’t worked properly unless anyone knows better!
Thanks,
Dan
icon

Best answer by Gregor 27 September 2019, 20:50

View original

27 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9
Hey @shoozpup

This is actually very easy to fix. It is very common issue with iMessage on apple device.

@Mohammed have posted very good tutorial how to fix it over here.

I will copy it below as well.

The issue here isn't due to iD Mobile but down to the handset you're using. It's an issue caused by Apple handsets.When you port your number in, Apple handsets don't seem to automatically update the number. This causes one of few issues which can be as follows:

• Not being able to send out texts on iMessage
• Messages saying "not delivered" but actually being delivered
• Wrong number showing on texts

There could potentially be other issues.
The fix however, should be very easy.

As you'll see in this topic: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/ios-27/number-has-been-ported-but-can-t-imessage-30268
You'll need to update the number in iMessage:
1) Try turning off iMessage (Settings > Messages)
2) then restart your phone (by pressing and holding the on/off button)
3) tap Settings > Phone > My Number and confirm that it is correct.
4) If it is not correct, please enter the correct number)
5) then turn iMessage back to On (Settings > Messages) 6) go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive and see if the correct number is displayed under “Start new conversations from:”.
We're expecting this to resolve the issue so I'll mark the topic as resolved preemptively however, if this does not resolve the issue, just let us know here and I'll un-mark this for you and investigate.
Mohammed
Userlevel 1
Worked like a charm, thank you so much!
Maybe I should go and tell apple, they had no clue 🤔
thanks again 👍
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Hey @shoozpup,

Glad that @Hikari was able to get you to the right place.
Within a few lines I was just going to suggest iMessage could be the likely culprit.

Sadly out of our control as it's the device not updating the number but very pleased to hear it's all fine now!

Mohammed

It’s still not fixed mine. 🤷🏼‍♀️ Mine still only shows my original number and email. What are the other options?

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi @Patsawyer 

Are you using an iPhone?  If not, what phone are you using?

If you are using an iPhone, have you tried all of the following:

Could you go to Settings > [Your Profile] > Name, Numbers, Emails
and then ensure within there that the correct number is showing?

You may possibly need to log out of iCloud or Apple ID in order to make the change.

Another method that has worked in the past for others is as follows...
Turn off the iPhone > Take out your SIM
Turn the iPhone back on (no SIM) > Leave on for a minute or so.
Pop the iD Mobile SIM back in the iPhone > Turn back on.

====

Please can you try to follow these steps to see if it helps with your non-iPhone SMS messages?

1)    Turn off iMessage (Settings > Messages)
2)    Restart your phone (by pressing and holding the on/off button)
3)    Tap Settings > Phone > My Number and confirm that it is correct. 
4)    If it is not correct, please enter the correct number
5)    Turn iMessage back to On (Settings > Messages)
6)    Finally, go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive and see if the correct number is displayed under “Start new conversations from:”. 

Userlevel 1

I’ve undertaken all of these instructions and still can not receive calls or texts 

I can make outgoing calls but that’s all

Hi all, I have the same issue but with a Huawei P30 Pro on android. All calls identify correctly but normal text messages give the SIMs old number. 

How to change it please? 

Userlevel 1

To be honest after over an hour with a carphone warehouse support person on the phone assisting me with IDs crappy customer service (read as non existent customer service) they were basically talking on computer for me as I couldn't get past the community or ibots to have a dialogue with a human being, I was still within the 14 days so I cancelled the contract 

ID tried to tell me it needed referring to technical team and could take as long as 48 hrs!!!!! It's the best thing I've ever done!!!

iD your customer service and after sales support sucks 

Hi I have the same problem with my S20 it makes calls and texts using the old ported number but with i send a message using messenger it uses the origional number from the ID sim . please help

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Extremely sorry for not having caught this one sooner.

@Jodiesharp @Mistwraithuk @Michael S 

For whatever reason it seems as though your phone is hanging on to the wrong number since you’ve recently had it changed.

Could you try turning off the phone for me.  Then removing your SIM.

Then turn the phone back on (with no SIM in) and leave it for about 3-4 mins.

Then, turn off the phone again and re-insert the SIM.

Hopefully after turning back on your phone will then refresh to pull the correct number that you are actually using on that SIM.

If things are still problematic after trying that then please let us know here or contact our Live Chat Team

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/live-chat

Chat messages still coming up with the origioanl sim number 

Badge +10

@Michael S

Do you have samsung profiles enabled?

Have you registered with Samsung and setup a profile at any point with this Mobile?

If the answer is YES to either you might need to deregister your number from this mobile and or register a new profile and the new number to this mobile

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/unregister-profile-sharing/

Alternately if you have setup an account you can always:
1.Remove the samsung account from the device (do not delete it)

2.Create a new account online with a you might have to use a different email address if you already have an account

3.Sign into this new account on the device

4.Register for profile sharing on the new account with your new number

5.Register for profile sharing again

Userlevel 1

Hi I have the same problem with my S20 it makes calls and texts using the old ported number but with i send a message using messenger it uses the origional number from the ID sim . please help

I had this problem EE solved this for me today go to message settings and find chat settings and make sure select default messaging type and make sure its on text /multimedia and that should solve it.🤞

Userlevel 1

I had this problem EE solved this for me today go to message settings and find chat settings and make sure select default messaging type and make sure its on text /multimedia and that should solve it.🤞

On Android search CHAT  .turn of WiFi messaging .

JOB DONE 

I recently ported my phone number over from a previous company, All went over they said. When calling someone it shows my older number, but when texting it shows my ID number (which i was replacing), however i gather some texts come up as my ported number and some as my ID number, so its very confusing, just want my ported number in use, atm my sister has put the 2numbers in as a temp measure, so she knows it me.. Any help please.

PS i have a samsung galaxy s21 5g and on android

APOLOGIES FOR CAPS

I SWITCHED MY STANDARD TEXT MESSAGE TO THE SAMSUNG MESSAGE SERVICE, SENT  A MESSAGE WHICH WORKED AS PORTED NUMBER, THEN SWITCHED BACK TO THE STANDARD TEXT SERVICE, SENT ANOTHER AND THAT WORKED WITH MY PORTED NUMBER,.. SO ALL GOOD

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi @Lee J7, could you please try this for me?

- Open Messages.

- Tap More options > Settings > Chat features.

- Toggle Enable chat features OFF, turn the handset off, wait 15 minutes and toggle them ON again

If that doesn’t work, I’d recommend contacting the FacebookTwitter or Live Chat teams so they can raise a ticket for you.

Thank you,

Rory

’m on an iPhone 12 and have tried all of the above. When I edit my phone number in settings and press save it simply resets back to the incorrect number. I’ve changed the number to my correct one on my Apple ID but still can’t get it to save on phone settings. Have turned it off and on again with the sim in/out multiple times. Is there anything else that works? 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

’m on an iPhone 12 and have tried all of the above. When I edit my phone number in settings and press save it simply resets back to the incorrect number. I’ve changed the number to my correct one on my Apple ID but still can’t get it to save on phone settings. Have turned it off and on again with the sim in/out multiple times. Is there anything else that works? 

Okay @Rhiannon Stephens,

In this forum, posting in an answered question often means your question is overlooked. 

Anyway, a couple of things to try, firstly:

1. Turn ON flight mode.
  2. Turn OFF your phone and remove the SIM card.
  3. Wait at least 15 minutes.
  4. Replace the SIM card and turn ON your phone.
  5. Turn OFF flight mode.

If the above fails, try a network reset. Your iPhone’s user guide will explain how to perform a network reset. But here’s a summary of steps involved for iOS 15.5:

Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPhone > Reset > Reset Network Settings

Good luck.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Rhiannon Stephens 

Have you been able to try the above steps from @andewhite? I’d recommend giving those a go!

Tom

Userlevel 1

Okay @Rhiannon Stephens,

In this forum, posting in an answered question often means your question is overlooked. 

1. Turn ON flight mode.
  5. Turn OFF flight mode.

If the above fails, try a network reset. Your iPhone’s user guide will explain how to perform a network reset. But here’s a summary of steps involved for iOS 15.5:

Good luck.

I was going crazy over why my phone number wasn’t working but THIS, this fixed it - nothing else would get it to work but this advice. 

I ended up leaving it for about an hour so I’m not sure if that helped any more than waiting 15 minutes but thank the lord. The only thing I would say is please for the love of God promote this more on the app! The only reason I even found this sub chat was because I’m relatively young “techy” but anyone who isn’t has no hope of finding this advice!

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Okay @Rhiannon Stephens,

1. Turn ON flight mode.
  5. Turn OFF flight mode.

Good luck.

I was going crazy over why my phone number wasn’t working but THIS, this fixed it - nothing else would get it to work but this advice. 

I ended up leaving it for about an hour so I’m not sure if that helped any more than waiting 15 minutes but thank the lord. The only thing I would say is please for the love of God promote this more on the app! The only reason I even found this sub chat was because I’m relatively young “techy” but anyone who isn’t has no hope of finding this advice!

Thanks for your feedback @Warwick Davies 

@Nikhil P  Might be worth pinning a topic about updating the iMessage for iOS phones and Turning Chat Features OFF then back ON for Android post port.

Mohammed

I just took out a new contract and got a PAC code from my old network to keep my old number.

I got a text from ID saying my number was transferred and it shows up on my dashboard when I log into ID online or with the app.

When I make calls it’s all rosey, my name and transferred number show on the recipients phone, and I can call my phone with the transferred number. Texting on the other hand.....they are sent and received from the original number that the SIM card had, and that number also shows up in settings associated with text messages and my various ‘i’ accounts, and also on the details of my phone under the devices associated with my iCloud account.

As it’s attempting to use two numbers on one phone I can only assume that the porting of the number hasn’t worked properly unless anyone knows better!

Thanks,

Dan

So what about Google pixel phones as mine has done same on there. How do I sort it

Extremely sorry for not having caught this one sooner.

@Jodiesharp @Mistwraithuk @Michael S 

For whatever reason it seems as though your phone is hanging on to the wrong number since you’ve recently had it changed.

Could you try turning off the phone for me.  Then removing your SIM.

Then turn the phone back on (with no SIM in) and leave it for about 3-4 mins.

Then, turn off the phone again and re-insert the SIM.

Hopefully after turning back on your phone will then refresh to pull the correct number that you are actually using on that SIM.

If things are still problematic after trying that then please let us know here or contact our Live Chat Team

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/live-chat

Live chat don't work

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Thanks,

Dan

So what about Google pixel phones as mine has done same on there. How do I sort it

Hey @John Ginger Bateman,

Please try going to Messages > Settings > Advanced Settings then find “Chat Features” and turn this off.

Restart and test and let me know what happens.

Mohammed

Why iD Mobile?