Solved

poor signal

Userlevel 1

Even when using WiFi to phone ,callers can't always hear me ,there's a break in communication. I get 5g sometimes, but even near mast the connection is poor

icon

Best answer by andewhite 1 August 2022, 10:47

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

12 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Kev Heffron,

First off, check for any network problems at your location using the Three online network status checker page at https://www.three.co.uk/support/network_and_coverage/network_support.

If the checker doesn’t show any issues at your location, double-check the theoretical coverage, at your location, using the online page at https://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Network/Coverage.

FYI, Three UK (iD Mobile’s network partner) are turning OFF their 3G network by end of 2024 - see more about this online at https://www.three.co.uk/hub/3g-network-news/, which might effect you  depending on your handset.

Anyway, good luck.

Userlevel 1

The fault is still present on my wife's and also my phone and we're both on ID. There must be a fault with the coverage, we never had this problem with 02 or Vodafone 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Kev Heffron 

Have you checked your postcode on the above links from @andewhite? 

If those coverage/outage checkers don’t show anything unusual and you’re still having issues I’d recommend letting us know here or via the iD Mobile Live Chat so we can investigate your account.

However, if another account holder is having issues with their’s too we’d need to speak to them directly.

Tom

Userlevel 3
Badge

Kev..…

The feedback, advice I got from ID having called the phone number.

I was told various things relating to same problem as you and many other people;

1) that home broadband wifi signals can affect mobile phone signal reception indoors at home

2) sim card could be faulty

3) mobile phone could be faulty

4) three network having problems, knock on effect to id customers

5) id network itself in your neighbourhood, the reception, limited transmission masts 

I use a mobile app called Speedtest by ookla to test 4G and 3G connectivity speeds.

There is a way for early disconnection if your in a contract if your not happy, you have to call and log the complaint. As I have done. If your paying for something and it's not as advertised and delivered. ID can't ignore the issues. 

Hope this helps you out

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Kev..…

I was told various things relating to same problem as you and many other people;

1) that home broadband wifi signals can affect mobile phone signal reception indoors at home

I use a mobile app called Speedtest by ookla to test 4G and 3G connectivity speeds.

There is a way for early disconnection if your in a contract if your not happy, you have to call and log the complaint. As I have done. If your paying for something and it's not as advertised and delivered. ID can't ignore the issues. 

Hope this helps you out

Okay @bcuplover, I can’t believe somebody at iD gave point 1) as an excuse for poor reception - UK mobile networks and Wi-Fi networks use regulated frequency ranges, which are designed to avoid interference issues.

I wonder what iD Mobile would say about Wi-Fi networks interfering with mobile reception outside of your home?

Userlevel 3
Badge

When I raised the issue, poor, non existant 4g signal, data/signal drop out (indoors and outdoors) at multiple different UK locations, over the past 4 months.

I was told exactly those things last week.

To be more specific 1) your sat at home, your ID sim coverage could be weak, minimal, non existant, because either your own home wifi broadband or your neighbours broadband wifi signals are interfering. Or theres a flat spot in your home, where signal won't get through, not enough strong signal because of interferance.

And as you say mobile network signals are (should be) set on a regulated non interferable frequency range.

In my experience, whilst out and about travelling (try it yourself) as you know, wifi is everywhere, retail parks, cinemas, restaurants, hotels, gyms etc. You'll find your ID signal drop again outdoors in these environments. Something is sapping the signal path to keep dropping out. Thats why I complained. 

I've been given a list of things to do to check service before ID will consider an early disconnection outside of my contract.

1) try another sim card from them

2) make notes, post codes where signal drops out, report back to them

ID are aware that wifi can affect a phone signal i.e if there's more wifi outlet signals per square mile in relation to transmission masts in the same area.

So wifi broadband indoor/outdoor is one of their excuses, applicable based on their feedback to me.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

When I raised the issue, poor, non existant 4g signal, data/signal drop out for the past 4 months.

Last week, I was told exactly those things. 

To be more specific 1) your sat at home, your ID sim coverage could be weak, minimal, non existant, because either your own home wifi broadband or your neighbours broadband wifi signals are interfering. Or theres a flat spot in your home, where signal won't get through, not strong enough because of interferance.

And as you say mobile network signals are (should be) set on a regulated non interferable frequency range.

In my experience, whilst out and about travelling (try it yourself) as you know, wifi is everywhere, retail parks, cinemas, restaurants, hotels, gyms etc. You'll find your ID signal drop again outdoors in these environments. Something is sapping the signal path.

ID are probably aware that any wifi can affect a phone signal i.e if there's more wifi outlet signals per square mile in relation to transmission masts in the same area.

How strange @bcuplover.

In my experience, I’ve never had an issue with Wi-Fi network signals affecting the mobile signal reception on my device.

What handset are you using?

Userlevel 3
Badge

@andewhite

The handset isn't the issue. (brand new from ID, contract)

I've relayed the feedback I was verbally given by the complaints team.

The problem is the actual ID network itself. And ID know it. But are partially blaming the Three Network, as thats where ID piggy back from.

They gave me a list of possibilities as to why my ID signal is not good.

Lots of other ID customers with same network problem, different handsets.

As @Kev Heffron suggested, mobile devices should all be interferance free from all other electronic signal producing devices. Set on their own frequency range. Same principal as your FM/DAB radio. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @bcuplover, I’d be surprised if staff in the iD complaints team were technically qualified in mobile networking and radio signals transmission & reception.

It seems my experience of using the Three UK mobile network is somewhat different.

Anyway, I hope you resolve your reception issues somehow.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hi @bcuplover,

Did you get any assistance with this or would you still like some help?

Let us know by replying to us and we can get in touch with you.

Regards,

Kash

Not sure @bcuplover wanted assistance - just a platform to let people know about their bad experience of the iD Mobile network.and customer service.  

Userlevel 3
Badge

Yes @andewhite , I used the forum site to see if anyone else was experiencing the same.

The ID complaints team (phone) first contact shouldn't be guessing as to what is wrong. 

Their answer is try an new sim card, which I did yesterday and the issues are still there (4G non existant, data droping out on 3G, no calls, calls breaking up, caller unable to hear other end) . Called them back and now they're telling me that ID mobile customers shouldn't expect 4G/5G everyhwhere all the time. The minimum is a 3G signal which is in the contract! 

So basically ID are falsley advertising a product (4G/5G) they can't deliver everywhere! 

I've already contacted OFCOM about this and am personally pushing to have the contract cancelled. ID mobile have gone downhill in my opinion.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @bcuplover, over the past 12 years I’ve mainly been on the Three UK network, with one of the UK mobile service providers using this network. In this period I’ve been happy with the Three UK network’s performance in terms of signal reception and mobile data speeds.

I guess everybody will have a different experience with their mobile network operator. I’m sure others with iD and elsewhere, are also disappointed and unhappy with their mobile service provider.

I agree that iD Mobile’s customer service is often mediocre at best, and they seem to have limited technical expertise across many customer service areas. This is the main reason I’m no longer an iD Mobile customer - although my current provider also uses the Three UK network.

Like most UK mobile network operators, iD Mobile don’t and can’t guarantee good reception and mobile data performance everywhere all the time. Every UK mobile network operator says as much in their terms & conditions.

I wonder if OFCOM will be any easier to deal with - it’d be interesting to know the outcome of your OFCOM complaint.

I suspect OFCOM might be inclined to leniency on the reception and data speeds issues, because Three UK are currently decommissioning their 3G network, while simultaneously enhancing their 4G network and deploying their 5G network. Three UK plan to turn of their 3G service by end of 2024, well before they’ll be required to do so. 

Anyway, good luck @bcuplover. 

Why iD Mobile?