Question

Raise prices during a crisis

• 27 March 2020
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1

Is it ethical to raise prices right in the middle of a pandemic when everyone is struggling? 

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi @woodiewoodman 

Are you referring to the RPI increases (Retail Price Index)?

If so more information can be found on that here:

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/retail-price-index

This honestly isn’t a question of ethics or in any part a decision that has been made with everything else that’s going on right now.  These annual increases occur with all networks every February.

If you will need more time to pay your bills with what’s going on though, then please contact us and we’ll do what we can to help further.

Userlevel 1

Hi,

Sorry to correct you but when you say 'This honestly isn’t a question of ethics...' I'm afraid you are wrong, it's definitely to do with ID's ethics... or lack off, the whole world is dealing with an emergency/pandemic, people are dieing by the thousands, we all making our bit to help one another, we can't even contact you guys over the phone to get info, complain or ask for help and ID is increasing their prices, shame on you (ID)!!! I will encourage everyone one that has had a price increase to name and shame ID's lack of compation as a company on Social Media and to change provider as soon as possible.

Please escalate the above comments to CEO, Board of Directors and/or owner and ask them to tell me 'hand on hart' if this feels that it's the right thing to do at this moment in time?

Thx

MGV

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Hi @Mgvid,

Although RPI increases are standard practice the current situation we find ourselves in due to Covid-19 isn’t. We’ve reviewed our processes so that we can support vulnerable customers where we can. We fully understand and appreciate everyone's concerns in regards to the current situation surrounding the Covid-19 pandemic, and we are doing as much as we can to offer support to all of those in need wherever it is possible.

At present to help the elderly people in our community, we have put in place an unlimited minutes allowance for our customers aged over 70 so that they don’t need to worry about making a call whenever they need to speak to any of their friends or family. We are also making the NHS related websites free-rated meaning that the data used will soon not be taken from your allowances, giving everyone access to up-to-date NHS information.

For anyone that has had a change to their financial situation due to the virus and need to discuss their bill then we can look into this further on an individual basis to ensure they are not left alone. Anyone affected can send us an email  and we will offer some assistance right away.

Ryan

Userlevel 1

Delay your increases for three months would be the more humanitarian thing to do.

Unless it is just all about profits for you. 

Userlevel 1

Just because something is 'standard practice' doesn't mean you have to follow it. Nothing is following standard practice at this time so, in my opinion, anyone raising prices at the moment, when others are trying to bail out and help people, is just immoral.                        ID Profit in 2017–18 was £33.1m

Userlevel 1

Hi again,

Thanks for the quick reply, I'm glad you making an effort (ID) to support some of your customers and are taking the opportunity to get other customers to pay for it, at least be upfront about it and say 'We as a company are compassionate as long as it doesn't impact on our bottom line!'

I don't require a reply to the above just needed to put it out there.

I do however require a reply to my previous query:

'CEO, Board of Directors and/or owner and ask them to tell me 'hand on hart' if this feels that it's the right thing to do at this moment in time?'

Thx

MGV

Userlevel 1

I couldn’t agree more with Mgvid and woodiewoodman - I think it is absolutely disgraceful that you are trying to make more profit when so many people are losing their jobs and struggling to make ends meet (not to mention becoming seriously ill and in some tragic cases dying). You need to have a serious re-think about this price increase as it is not going to make you look good when people’s behaviour during the crisis is reviewed. How will it look if the national press get hold of this? We are all meant to be in this together and trying to support each other.

I will be taking all my family’s phones off of ID when the contracts expire if this is not reviewed.

It’s not too lat to do the right thing.

Why iD Mobile?