Solved

reason for credit check failure

Dear sir/madam,

I have had to use this forum to post this appeal as I am unable to find an email address for ID mobile, and I do not believe that the live chat function is adequate to resolve this issue.

Recently I ordered a sim only deal from yourselves (ID mobile), specifically a 12 month contract that included unlimited texts and calls, roaming, data rollover and 30gb of data, for £10 a month. This order was placed on the 11th August 2022. Later on the 11th August I received an email stating that I had failed the credit check and therefore my order had been rejected. This came as a surprise to me, given the fact I am extremely low credit risk.

I have good savings, I earn a reasonable annual income given the fact I am a student. I have also held a phone contract with Three mobile for 24 months and have never missed a payment. I would also stress that my father is a financial conduct authority registered individual, and a chartered member and fellow of the personal finance society and has coached me and my siblings extremely well in terms of how to manage money and I follow his advise closely. My Experian credit score is also 999 and I intend to keep it at this high level. Given these facts, I thought it was likely a mistake and contacted an adviser to find out the reasons for this credit check failure. 

Using the live chat from your website I was connected to an adviser and I requested the reasons for this failure but was told that they didn’t have the reasons or that they couldn’t give them to me. I was then told to contact Experian to find out the reasons. After checking with Experian, I discovered no credit searches from ID mobile on the 11th August; in fact there were no credit searches for myself on the 11th august at all, hard or soft. Having discovered this, I thought it was likely a mistake that my order had been rejected due to the credit check, so I contacted another adviser and was told that if there were no credit searches in my name then a mistake was likely made and that I should place the order again. I did just that, double checking that all my details were correct just in case I had made a mistake previously. After confirming all my details were correct, I placed an order again for the same contract on the 13th August, and was informed on the 14th August that I have yet again failed the credit check. Again, I checked Experian and clear score, and there have been no hard or soft searches for my credit score. 

I am not sure what is causing me to fail these credit checks. One reason I have thought is that my twin brother also has an account with yourselves and that due to us having the same date of birth, nearly same initials and the same home address, a duplicate error is being thrown up before the credit search is being conducted.

As I’m sure you can understand, this has become very inconvenient for me. It is also very disappointing when I was seeking an easy change from my current mobile phone provider (Three mobile) to yourselves. I have also been thoroughly dissatisfied with the customer service advisers, and the live chat function on your website, as my questions have been left unanswered and it was extremely inefficient, due to me being stuck on my phone for over an hour messaging an adviser. I am also sure you can understand my frustration with this experience and I hope you treat this matter with the utmost care and urgency, as this matter has caused me some distress and I would like it settled.

I wish to see all information relating to my application, including full disclosure of all credit searches and evidence of your own assessment of the same. I make this request under subject access rules, as this data concerns myself and therefore I have a right to access it.

I am happy to provide any confirmation of my identity that you may need, and further details that you will need to look into this case, over a secure, private connection, such as email. I am also happy to provide a copy of my Experian credit report.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Regards,

James 

icon

Best answer by WelshPaul 15 August 2022, 17:50

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Hi James,

Your credit score of 999 means nothing to anyone but Experian. Every lender will have their own requirements that must be met when it comes to credit applications, meaning you can pass a credit check with one company but fail with another (even though you have no negative markers, ccj's etc).

Anyway, it's possible that iD Mobile haven't run a credit check at all as I believe they do their own security checks prior to preforming a credit check. It's possible you failed such checks and therefore your order was rejected. No lender will tell you the reason for such a rejection because you'd then be able to bypass such checks making the process useless and the credit provider at risk of abuse. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @James0121 

I’m sorry to hear that an order you placed was cancelled due to a failed credit check, our sales go through two checks; an internal security check to make sure all details given match up (a common failure here is the bank details do not match that of the account holder’s details) and the credit check failure which doesn’t give us any information on why a failure has happened, just that it has or it hasn’t. 

If you’d like to request a copy of all the data we have on you I’d recommend submitting a Data Subject Access Request through the form here.

Tom

Userlevel 1

ID mobile refused my sim only contract but wouldn’t say why (i have perfect credit history and zero debt for 25 years). ID even phoned me up to ask if i could put the contract in someone else’s  name, so I told them where to go. I then applied to Three and they accepted me no problem, and got topcashback discount :) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Steve Flaxvert Cherry 

I’m sorry to hear that you had failed a credit check with us, glad to hear you’ve got something you’re happy with on another provider.

Tom

I have been residing in the UK since Jan 2022 under a student visa. I opened a Lloyds account at that time, but I only began actively using it in the past few months. Currently, my credit check score is satisfactory, measuring above 500. I have not taken any loans or missed any payments. Can you provide guidance on whether a credit check with Lloyds will likely be approved?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I have been residing in the UK since Jan 2022 under a student visa. I opened a Lloyds account at that time, but I only began actively using it in the past few months. Currently, my credit check score is satisfactory, measuring above 500. I have not taken any loans or missed any payments. Can you provide guidance on whether a credit check with Lloyds will likely be approved?

I believe you need to have at least 3-years of history for a UK address, in order to open an iD Mobile pay monthly account @Arz

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Arz 

@andewhite would be correct here, we require 3 years of UK address history for any contracted plans, it may be worth looking into a Pay As You Go option.

Tom

Userlevel 1

I am also in a similar situation & it’s so frustrating! I currently already have an account with ID Mobile for a monthly rolling sim payment but have been looking at the new iPhone 15. Found a good deal with ID mobile through Carphone warehouse so decided with that but then later noticed on my confirmation email that I had misspelled my name & put Naomo instead of Naomi. Then received an email saying it had failed which I’m guessing is because of the name failure so rang up & was told I should be able to put it through again which I did do ensuring all my details where correct this time. Only for it to then fail the credit check criteria. Credit score is completely fine & have nothing on there to show they did a hard or soft search. So what happens now? Am

i not able to have a monthly contract now even though I already have an account with you?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Naomi Mercedes,

Welcome to the Community!

The credit check is not only based on the credit score but multiple things.

If you fail a credit check you can look at trying to make another purchase after 90 days.

However if you currently have an iD Mobile account you can take a look into you upgrade options instead.

Kash

Userlevel 1

I was told 30 days over chat? I have checked on upgrades but it doesn’t compare to the deal I have found online. Is there any other way I can get around the 90 day waiting time? Just seems frustrating over just a spelling mistake! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Naomi Mercedes 

You are free to try again whenever you please, however another application so soon would very likely fail again and further damage your credit score, I’d recommend allowing at least 30 days, possibly up to 90 days.

Tom

Totally concur with what I see above. I’ve been summarily refused an iD sim contract and my order has been cancelled. This is bizarre. I am nothing if not solvent. I am very much in personal credit. The whole thing is weird and arbitrary, with no explanation for this decision. 

I would accept it if I felt iD had any merit in its decision – for the record, I don’t. I would now love to know why this decision was made. I have to accept if iD doesn’t want my business but given this, I’m disinclined to do a PAY AS YOU GO as suggested. 

Another thing. As @Tom says, “try again whenever you please, however another application so soon would very likely fail again and further damage your credit score, I’d recommend allowing at least 30 days, possibly up to 90 days.” 

How would it “further damage your credit score?” Could you explain? 

Look forward to a response. Yours, a potential customer. Oliver 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @OLIVERB,

Credit checks are based on multiple aspects and not just the credit score.

We are unable to provide a specific reason for a credit check failure, however once failed we would advise to allow 90 days.

Carrying out multiple hard searches in a short space of time can affect your credit file.

For further information on your credit report we would advise that you contact a Credit Reference Agency.

Kash

I too have had my order for a £7/month sim only for my daughters phone cancelled three times allegedly because of credit check failure. Following the 1st instance I was worried that my identity had been cloned but on going to Experian found no problems and a perfect 999 credit score (as expected - I own my own house, have a very good income and no history of bad credit). On challenging IDmobile I was told that it was because it was <1month after joining IDmobile for my monthly contract on a new phone and to wait. 

To say that this is frustrating is an understatement and to blame poor credit is libellous. I’ve decided to take my custom elsewhere.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Mudge00a 

Sorry to hear you failed the credit check, we’d recommend awaiting around 90 days between multiple credit checks to us, we wish you the best with a different network.

Tom

Why iD Mobile?