Question

Removing a Default from my Credit File

Good afternoon,

I really hope that this channel will provide the support I’ve been trying to get. I have two defaults on my credit file from ID mobile for two sims I obtained for my children in 2016, mere £5 p/month sims should they have needed to reach me, and which they never used. 

The contracts ended  August 2017, and I replaced the sims with O2 sims on a family account. In 2021 I realised that I’ve been paying for the sims for 4 years after the contracts ended and I stopped the direct debit as I was no longer tied into a contract and have not used any of the sims for 4 years. I have changed my address in the meantime and received one letter forwarded from my old address with a ‘final settlement offer’ for £14.88, which I paid on 31st August 2021 as it threatened legal action. I believed that it was the end of my ID Mobile experience, however I realised later that ID mobile applied TWO defaults on my credit file on 6th September 2021 (after I made the payment!). I phoned on 28th October 2021 and spoke to Wade at 17:00, who agreed it doesn’t seem right that a default was applied after an account was settled but ‘unfortunately he wasn’t in a position to do anything about it’. 

I have been incredibly diligent with my finances over many many years, and had an Experian credit score of 999, and ID Mobile has wiped out my entire credit score in one fell swoop with reckless defaults even after an account has been fully settled. Not one email or phone call. 

I’m now in a position where I was declined a mortgage due to a mark on my credit score (a bloody stain left by ID Mobile for a mere £14.88).

I have always worked hard to maintain a good credit score, and to think that a £5 monthly sim which leads to an outstanding default amount of £14.88, and one of which that I was never informed of (you could have emailed / phoned) is devastating and it is having a disproportionate impact on my life and my family’s future.

If you are able to help with this then that would be great,

Thanks,

Jonel

This topic has been closed for comments

26 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

You defaulted due to canceling the direct debit and as a result your credit file was updated to reflect that. Cancelling a direct debit does not close down a credit account, and while your contractual minimum term period had come and gone, you're still required to provide iD Mobile with the required termination notice as per the terms & conditions you agreed to at the time of purchase.

I have received a default for an account I have settled, 6 days after settling the account. I phoned to discuss this on 28th October at 5pm. It seems I’m having the same problem as many others, where I am now unable to get a mortgage. Please help resolve this urgently and clear the default so I can continue with my mortgage application and put an end to my very frustrating experience with iD Mobile.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

If the default was applied to your credit file after you accepted and paid the “final settlement offer” from iD, then it seems a mistake has been made.

Probably best to contact the iD Complaints dep’t about this matter and get a remedy via them.

Anyway, good luck.

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Was this a settlement offer by a debt collection company?

If you agree a full and final settlement your creditor will mark the debt as ‘partially settled’ on your credit file. This shows future creditors that the debt was cleared for less than the full amount, and this could affect their decision about whether to lend to you.

The account will be removed from your credit file six years after it was partially settled, or six years after the date it defaulted if this was earlier.

https://www.stepchange.org/debt-info/settlement-offers-to-creditors.aspx

Anyway, someone from the iD mobile team will be along in a few days, and they will be able to correct any errors on your credit report.

Good luck! 

Please can someone from ID mobile please contact me, I urgently need your support. Many thanks in advance,  Jonél 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Please can someone from ID mobile please contact me, I urgently need your support. Many thanks in advance,  Jonél 

The iD forum team are currently 4-5 days behind reading posts.

Do think about using the iD Live Chat service, or their social media pages on facebook or twitter to get a faster response.

I’d recommend contacting iD between 9am and 6pm so you speak to a person and not a bot. For live chat, type “talk to a person” after connecting to avoid the 24/7 bot.

Otherwise, hang on here - good luck anyway.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi @jschwarz, we’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account so we can discuss your issue further.

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’.

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview

We’ll see you there.

Thank you,

Rory

Userlevel 1

I took out a phone contract in 2018 for 2 years , my contract was due for renewal in 2020. I contacted ID mobile in July 2020 and spoke to a lady called liz and I requested for my contract not to be renewed I wanted it terminated she confirmed this was fine , few months later I noticed that was not the case they were still taking payments from my account , I contacted them again and they apologised and said they would end it. Later on in 2021 I noticed again it had not been done. I contacted them via chat but it was useless then bare in mind they were still taking money from my account. Then in January 2022 I contacted my bank and cancelled the direct debit then ID mobile recorded it as missed payments even though I had never missed a payment infact I had been over charged for almost years then they sent my account to overdales creditors which I contacted and explained what happened they were shocked and said previous customers went through the same thing one gentleman gave me the complaints number for ID mobile but overdales said I had to pay £105 to bring it back to date which I did as I didn’t want any headache or hassle then. As I was doing my mortgage application I noticed ID mobile put a default on my account on the 13th of June 2022 for not paying when all this time they have been taking money from me when I had requested for my contract to be ended in 2020.  as ID didn't action my account closure request on time. I paid all the extra charges to avoid hassle, and they subsequently reported a default on my credit file. This is now causing credit issues (mortgage, credit card), huge strain on my family, and affecting my mental health, for the miniscule size and nature of the payment amount that was a mistake from them! Instead of me asking for a refund for 2 years all I requested was for my credit account to be amended and for the default to be removed otherwise I will take this further with my lawyers. I have read so many people have been put through the same crazy stress as I have. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I took out a phone contract in 2018 for 2 years , my contract was due for renewal in 2020. I contacted ID mobile in July 2020 and spoke to a lady called liz and I requested for my contract not to be renewed I wanted it terminated she confirmed this was fine , few months later I noticed that was not the case they were still taking payments from my account , I contacted them again and they apologised and said they would end it. Later on in 2021 I noticed again it had not been done. I contacted them via chat but it was useless then bare in mind they were still taking money from my account. Then in January 2022 I contacted my bank and cancelled the direct debit then ID mobile recorded it as missed payments even though I had never missed a payment infact I had been over charged for almost years then they sent my account to overdales creditors which I contacted and explained what happened they were shocked and said previous customers went through the same thing one gentleman gave me the complaints number for ID mobile but overdales said I had to pay £105 to bring it back to date which I did as I didn’t want any headache or hassle then. As I was doing my mortgage application I noticed ID mobile put a default on my account on the 13th of June 2022 for not paying when all this time they have been taking money from me when I had requested for my contract to be ended in 2020.  as ID didn't action my account closure request on time. I paid all the extra charges to avoid hassle, and they subsequently reported a default on my credit file. This is now causing credit issues (mortgage, credit card), huge strain on my family, and affecting my mental health, for the miniscule size and nature of the payment amount that was a mistake from them! Instead of me asking for a refund for 2 years all I requested was for my credit account to be amended and for the default to be removed otherwise I will take this further with my lawyers. I have read so many people have been put through the same crazy stress as I have. 

Gosh @mzaia, what a crazy situation.

If you’ve got deep pockets, just get your lawyers to sort it out - good luck anyway.

Userlevel 1

Honestly it’s the worst situation ever. A manager from complaints team is supposed to contact me as they have escalated this case to see if they sort it out I genuinely just want the credit default to be removed that’s all. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Honestly it’s the worst situation ever. A manager from complaints team is supposed to contact me as they have escalated this case to see if they sort it out I genuinely just want the credit default to be removed that’s all. 

I do hope the Complaints team manage to assist you - good luck.
🤞

Userlevel 1

Thank you very much 

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi @mzaia, sorry to hear about your situation. Have you heard back from the Complaints Team yet?

Thank you,

Rory

Userlevel 1

Hello,

no unfortunately no one has called me back yet , I keep going on the ID mobile web chat I speak to about 4-5 different agents on the chat and they keep saying someone will contact me. One of the agents confirmed that the default had been removed then the next day another agent said no it’s a mistake it has not been removed. I took screenshots of all the chats this is another miscommunication between the staff I also received an email stating a new direct debit has been set up when I have not set up anything infact been wanting to terminate the one that I currently have which they’ve been over charging for 18 months. I explained all this to the agent via the chat they keep saying we are sorry for all the stress someone will contact you and I’m still waiting. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hello,

no unfortunately no one has called me back yet , I keep going on the ID mobile web chat I speak to about 4-5 different agents on the chat and they keep saying someone will contact me. One of the agents confirmed that the default had been removed then the next day another agent said no it’s a mistake it has not been removed. I took screenshots of all the chats this is another miscommunication between the staff I also received an email stating a new direct debit has been set up when I have not set up anything infact been wanting to terminate the one that I currently have which they’ve been over charging for 18 months. I explained all this to the agent via the chat they keep saying we are sorry for all the stress someone will contact you and I’m still waiting. 

Okay @mzaia, I assume you got a complaint reference number?

If you haven’t, then you need to get the reference number of your complaint.

Next time you chat online, ask the iD agent to pass you to their supervisor or manager.

Anyway, good luck.

Userlevel 1

Yes I do have a reference number , everytime I ask to be pasted to a manager they say they don’t have one available. 

mariam 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I see, do you have a facebook account or Twitter account?

Userlevel 1

Yes do have a Facebook account and Twitter. 

mariam 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @mzaia, I recommend you speak to iD Mobile using facebook Messenger, or send a DM on Twitter.

The facebook team seem quick to assist, based on anecdotal reports in this forum.

Your messages will be private and you should get more immediate responses to all the points & issues you raise with iD.

Why not begin by asking iD for an update on the status of your compliant?

Anyway, good luck.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi @mzaia, did you manage to speak to the Facebook or Twitter teams?

Thank you,

Rory

Userlevel 1

Yes I did but unfortunately no changes They said they will get someone to call me and look further into this and I’m still waiting for a call back. Very bad horrible service and customer service. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Okay, @mzaia 

I’d recommend chasing this up with the Facebook/Twitter team as if they’re already looking into your case they’ll be able to chase it up further and provide updates.

In terms of a callback the teams wouldn’t be able to set up any calls, they’d respond via their respective social media channel.

Tom

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay, @mzaia 

I’d recommend chasing this up with the Facebook/Twitter team as if they’re already looking into your case they’ll be able to chase it up further and provide updates.

In terms of a callback the teams wouldn’t be able to set up any calls, they’d respond via their respective social media channel.

Tom

@Tom, why can’t the iD agent in the complaints team can call back?

Surely the iD social media teams don’t actually investigate a given complaint.

Userlevel 1

The CEO of ID mobile emailed me requesting some details for security then he emailed back saying unfortunately we have tried to investigate we can’t find the recorded call of you wanting to terminate your contract, then one of this colleagues from the complaints team called me and said we are trying our best to investigate but not all calls are recorded. Then I went on to the chat on the website spoke to one of the agents he confirmed the default is going to be removed and that my account was amended and up to date- after the ceo sent another email saying apologies it’s a misunderstanding from staff and that the default isn’t removed yet as they are still investigating. 

how many miscommunications between staff that are causing customers like myself so much  stress and affect on my mental health. This default they placed because of miscommunication has put my mortgage application of our first family home on hold we have paid over £17,000 between bellway home developers we were going to sign and exchange contracts Up until that default was placed the mortgage was put on hold. Because of ID mobile miss communication and lazy staff this is what myself and my family are having to go through and deal with at the moment which is very very depressing and unprofessional. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Hi @mzaia, we’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account so we can discuss your issue further.

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’.

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview

We’ll see you there.

Thank you,

Rory

Why iD Mobile?